• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    Fighting on familiar ground is something to strive for.

Most guys bugging out scenarios do not factor in a screaming wife and kids. I am not tough enough to be a Lone Survivor I guess.- George

DOM

Nov 19, 2012
    First I think you need to think about what you might be preparing for. Even our govenment FEMA and MEMA advise a fair amount of food, water, medical. So, there is run of the mill type stuff like storms, local disasters, etc. Then there is very severe stuff like riots, food shortages, financial collapse, etc. Are we talking about leaving for 3 days for a storm, or leaving forever due you getting burned out of your house by a mob of rioters?

While it is totally undesirable to leave my home, there are a number of things which could cause it. I live within a mile of rail road tracks. What about a chemical spill, a big storm, gas leak? There are many others I can't think of at this time. What if a tree falls on your house during a storm? Can you get your family to some place safe after that?

So it really wouldn't be a bad idea to have a bag for each family member. A bug out bag for leaving the house for 3 days is something very reasonable to have. A get home bag you keep in your car is a good idea as well.

Maybe that next earthquake will be a big one. Who knows...???

Dec 31, 2012
    First I think you need to think about what you might be preparing for. Even our govenment FEMA and MEMA advise a fair amount of food, water, medical. So, there is run of the mill type stuff like storms, local disasters, etc. Then there is very severe stuff like riots, food shortages, financial collapse, etc. Are we talking about leaving for 3 days for a storm, or leaving forever due you getting burned out of your house by a mob of rioters?

While it is totally undesirable to leave my home, there are a number of things which could cause it. I live within a mile of rail road tracks. What about a chemical spill, a big storm, gas leak? There are many others I can't think of at this time. What if a tree falls on your house during a storm? Can you get your family to some place safe after that?

So it really wouldn't be a bad idea to have a bag for each family member. A bug out bag for leaving the house for 3 days is something very reasonable to have. A get home bag you keep in your car is a good idea as well.

Maybe that next earthquake will be a big one. Who knows...???

You left out alien invasion and I'm not just talking about Mehicans...:tinfoil:
    Also, asteroid strikes
    :omg:

In all seriousness you can only prepare for so much.
    Mostly just prepare for the probable and deal with the improbable with what you've got or what your neighbors have :innocent0

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    I have been carrying a bag everywhere with me for 20 years. I used to carry more, but the more I learn the less I carry. I work and live out of my bag all the time. If you have a BOB full of gear, sealed in plastic, in your house or trunk, you are doing it wrong.- George

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    Bug out bag is a general term....What if you are at work or the grocery store? or traveling say 20mi away from home? got to have SOMETHING to get you home, those supplies are useless if you cant get home to utilize them

This ^ I keep a "Get Home Bag" because my travel distance from work is 25 miles, average 3 miles per hour and I'm looking at roughly 8 hrs walk home on roads, If I have to travel off of the beaten path I have things to allow me to rest if I need to on the way.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Get-home bag in each of my trucks; exact same contents in each--enough stuff for several days if necessary. We will Alamo along with our neighbors.

Knupp

Usurper of Cookies
    Feb 9, 2010
    Pasadena
    In my family emergency plan, we have contingencies to shelter in place for some things and for a number of other types of disasters/incidents, we are leaving the area. When that is the case, i have 2 bags that will generally be grabbed: a BOB (bug out bag) and a medical bag.

If radiological disaster is the ONLY reason you'd leave the area, you really haven't given it enough thought. In a major metro area like MD, the entire area would be out resourced in 2 days or less if people panic. You really wanna stick around for the aftermath of that? I don't! Get a bag that has resources for you to survive on for a week or so for your entire family!

For more: http://www.survivalistboards.com/

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    Fighting on familiar ground is something to strive for.

Most guys bugging out scenarios do not factor in a screaming wife and kids. I am not tough enough to be a Lone Survivor I guess.- George
    isn't that what the duct tape is for in the BOB?

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have a get home bag in the truck and a shtf room in my basement. lots of friends and family that live close by have already agreed to meet at my place if anything crazy happens and dig in here.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I finally remembered to put a spare set of sneakers/boots in my vehicles. My "work" shoes are not conducive for a "get home" type of situation.

ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    Watch the 1950s sci-fi movie "Panic in the Year Zero" , and see what happens to a trailer.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Since I started riding a motorcycle to work and back, I've come to the realization that anyone stuck driving in and back in this area is screwed. I will be more than happy to split lanes to get home if it got down to it.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    We actually sell a lot of what are generically called "bug out bags," and he gear that goes in them. People call and ask for them by name like they are a pre packaged item. What goes in one depends on one's individual situation.

People want them for last ditch, SHTF, times when it is run or die. By then your castle and belongings are compromised or rendered useless.

Any prepper worth his or her salt has a, or multiple pre-stocked locations to which they can fall back, with their bug out bags of course.

Paiste19

Don't Shave
    Jan 14, 2013
    Baltimore County
    In regards to the get home bag...If you cannot avoid crossing a bridge to get home from work in an emergency, a small packaged inner tube(etc.) for under $5 doesnt hurt to keep under the seat either.

jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton
    My wife and I both have "bug out" bags in our cars, but they are to get us home if we are at work when something goes down. We figure we will be in the D.C. or Baltimore area and need to get home. My very first homeland security course I took was taught by a female and she was in D.C. on 9-11. She was in a skirt and heals and D.C. turned into a parking lot. She had to walk do the side of the road on a broken heal for about two miles before she could meet her husband and get out. After that she started carrying a backpack with boots and pants and things she would need if she had to hoof it. We have done the same things, but probably a little more.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    In regards to the get home bag...If you cannot avoid crossing a bridge to get home from work in an emergency, a small packaged inner tube(etc.) for under $5 doesnt hurt to keep under the seat either.

Parts of Laurel are under an evacuation order right now due to flooding from the dam opening.
    Let me know how that $5 inner tube works out for you. :D
    http://www.cityoflaurel.org/content/alert-mayor-moe-signs-executive-order-civil-emergency

Seriously though, something like what just happened is real. So how does your [not you OP, you as in all the internet people reading this] plan work? How effective is your bag? How secure is your home and valuables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom