• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    https://wtop.com/maryland/2020/11/maryland-senate-president-unveils-operations-plan-for-covid-19/

Ain't pretty - as I have suspected for months, especially with Frosh's proclamation that there is no requirement for public input into legislation - very limiting, to the point of shutting out the public.

Biggest takeaway: severe limits to public testimony, see the quote below.
    Maryland Matters via WTOP said:
    Members of the public who wish to testify on a bill in committee will do so via Zoom, and the number of witnesses will be capped — four in favor, two “favorable with amendments, and four opposed. (For more contentious issues, the numbers can be doubled.)

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    https://wtop.com/maryland/2020/11/maryland-senate-president-unveils-operations-plan-for-covid-19/

Ain't pretty - as I have suspected for months, especially with Frosh's proclamation that there is no requirement for public input into legislation - very limiting, to the point of shutting out the public.

This is definite class action territory. This may be the issue that unifies the 2A community with others in this province.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The Dems in the GA have never wanted citizen input, especially from those whose views differed from the Usual Subjects.

Witness the construction on Bladen Street and Lawyers' Mall; the delicate sensibilities of the GA required that they wreck the area to avoid being triggered by sign-carrying pro-2A demonstrators.

Then they stopped consolidating gun bills on a single day, instead spreading them throughout the session, with delayed public notice of when the hearings would take place. Once in the hearing chamber, Delegate Attenbeary demonstrated her total disrespect for anyone who dared question her decrees. Forcible removal of knowledgeable former officials was another indication that dissent would not be tolerated.

At this point, closing the legislature to public access is only a formality. All the hard work has already taken place.

Y'all better just learn your place, which is definitely not anywhere near our legislators.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Take away our opportunity to politely provide feedback and people will decide those BLM and antifa people may be on to something for advancing political agendas.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    in this....
    Members of the public who wish to testify on a bill in committee will do so via Zoom, and the number of witnesses will be capped — four in favor, two “favorable with amendments, and four opposed. (For more contentious issues, the numbers can be doubled.)

...is the cap on the public testifying or on "experts" that the legislators bring up to testify? If the later, it doesn't seem as egregious.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    The 1st amendment guarantees the right of citizens to assemble peaceably and to petition their government.

It doesn’t exclude legislation as far as I know.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Total number of people testifying, no clarity provided on how the 8 are selected.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Total number of people testifying, no clarity provided on how the 8 are selected.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    hmmmmm. It artificially weights it as well. Howard county schools just did this with a debate about SROs. Even though the community was overwhelmingly in support of keeping them, they chose members for a panel in equal ratios....artificially bumping up the impact of those in favor of removing SROs. It sounds "fair", but it isn't the voice of the people.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO

WOW! I had a feeling the rules would be ugly this year, covid being the excuse. That's pretty dirty. So basically they are telling us to F off and they will do as they please this year. :mad54:

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    WOW! I had a feeling the rules would be ugly this year, covid being the excuse. That's pretty dirty. So basically they are telling us to F off and they will do as they please this year. :mad54:

They have been doing that for years, now it will just be more overt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Bryan Sears has a video recording from a presser convened by Senate President Ferguson earlier today: https://www.facebook.com/626382285/videos/10157644333327286/.

ETA - 46 minutes and you do not need to log into Facebook to view.

8:05 is the question about public testimony. He essentially replies that not many people show up to testify anyway. So it's not that big of a deal. Also people can send in electronic testimony. Wtf

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    All they need is 4 anti's to sign up and feign their opposition all while giving support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom