• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    CCI provided an article about primers in Gil Hebard's Pistol Shooter's Treasury. Three points relative to this discussion:
    1. Live primers can be carefully decapped. (You always wear eye protection when reloading anyway, right?)
    2. Decapped primers should not be reused because the priming compound pellet and anvil have already been seated and recapping could crush them.
    3. Oil, WD-40, etc. do not reliably and permanently deactivate primers.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    CCI provided an article about primers in Gil Hebard's Pistol Shooter's Treasury. Three points relative to this discussion:
    1. Live primers can be carefully decapped. (You always wear eye protection when reloading anyway, right?)
    2. Decapped primers should not be reused because the priming compound pellet and anvil have already been seated and recapping could crush them.
    3. Oil, WD-40, etc. do not reliably and permanently deactivate primers.

Yes, I always reload with eye protection -- i.e., my corrective eyeglasses.

That's what I figured about damaging primers. Problem is, but the case is always mangled when this happens. Doesn't happen often, but still... So I wouldn't be able to chamber the casing with just primer.

I would be able to de-cap it, but then I'd still be stuck with a live primer.

Oil or WD-40 (actually my choice) may the best we can do. What else would reliably and permanently deactivate primers?

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    The article does say oil contamination can make primers "insensitive", but it does not mention disposal.
    So you have a couple live primers to dispose of. They are not atomic bombs. Of course I would never suggest dropping them in with the kitchen trash and putting it on the curb.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    A large block of wood, two large headed nails, a hammer and an old thick towel works fine for popping the primers before de-priming.

Jmurman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perry Hall
    I had some corrosive primers in Korean surplus ammo. I pulled the bullet, dumped the powder and soaked the case in water. Popped the primers out with no problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom