• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    "Price-gouging" is ethically and morally just fine. It's actually a positive lever for the marketplace; if demand has driven prices up, it serves as a stimulus to create more product.

The alternative will result in the Russian solution - empty shelves at the proletarian stores, ready availability in the Special Stores for Party members. Artificial planning via command economy has the same result of any government program.

Attachments

• How Government works.jpg
      How Government works.jpg
      57.7 KB · Views: 631

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    ...doubles the cost of any serious training.

Yes it does, but I have only had a couple of people back out because of the increased cost. Despite the toll it takes on my weekends, I am happy to see more people realizing the need for training and actually doing it, even if the catalyst for that training has to be dire circumstances.

Cool, thanks for the explanation.

You're welcome.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Exactly. Those that ignored reality and followed the pied pipers of ammo deals (Ie wait it out, buy from Cabelas/Bass Pro) are now paying double if not more. I guess there’s some that believe supply and demand is a social construct and if we all just agreed to stop buying today 9mm would plummet to .12 cpr but it’s not realistic. If we lose in 2020 we are completely screwed, if we win I still see 4-6 months before production and supply/demand level out.

Wish I had your optimism. But with the elections coming up I don't see the prices coming back down for a long, long time.

I don't know about all of that.

I definitely don't think it's going to stay at $500/1000 Wolf .223 or $400/1000 9mm forever.

It's going up that high because all of these people are stockpiling ammo and guns for the first time. Probably a lot of BLM and communist people are arming up to kill us too.

Wait it out if you already have a stockpile of ammo, or maybe consider reloading instead. It might just be time to use .22lr for a while.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    "Price-gouging" is ethically and morally just fine. It's actually a positive lever for the marketplace; if demand has driven prices up, it serves as a stimulus to create more product.

The alternative will result in the Russian solution - empty shelves at the proletarian stores, ready availability in the Special Stores for Party members. Artificial planning via command economy has the same result of any government program.

That’s not at all the case in either short term emergencies/disaster nor is it true with natural monopolies. Outside of that, sure, it can drive new entrants to the market leveling prices.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There's always somebody who's hungry and looking for the opportunity to compete in a market they identify as needing competition. While capitalism and free markets aren't perfect, they are remarkably self-regulating if left to their own. It's when the heavy hand of government gets involved distortions in the market occur if not carefully overseen.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    That’s not at all the case in either short term emergencies/disaster nor is it true with natural monopolies. Outside of that, sure, it can drive new entrants to the market leveling prices.

Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Price gouging is also a tax on those that do not plan ahead.

Live in FL, and NOT stockpile some water for hurricane season? REALLY?

Same with ammo. Many stocked up over the last couple of years when prices were good. Others are paying the price of not doing so.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    There's always somebody who's hungry and looking for the opportunity to compete in a market they identify as needing competition. While capitalism and free markets aren't perfect, they are remarkably self-regulating if left to their own. It's when the heavy hand of government gets involved distortions in the market occur if not carefully overseen.

Not true with utilities.

How many internet service providers do most people in the US have? The answer is one. Even in major metropolitan areas. How many gas companies? How many electric or water companies? Heck, emergency medical care is effectively a natural monopoly. You don’t really have the choice to call around and price shop for “treating a sudden onset stroke”. Let alone getting the hospitals to tell you what the cost of treatment would be (real public apt posted costs would be a start).

Many disasters are completely unforeseeable, not can they be planned for.

Supply and demand work when both parties have equal or near equal power. When the power balance is vastly unequal then it isn’t an effective means of self regulating. Same reason there are employer-employee regulations governing workplaces in most industries. I’ll absolutely agree some are onerous and stupid. Many aren’t, such as bans on “no compete” contracts and companies collaborating with each other to drive down employee pay and benefits.

Doubt you’ll agree with me

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Even if you would have gotten it at a ridiculous WM discount, the current market is what it is... it wouldn’t be your problem. You don’t owe anybody anything... if the current base cost of 9mm is 40cpr plus shipping, you would be crazy to sell for less. (Unless you are helping someone out). Otherwise, why would you sell it for less then it would cost you to get more. I feel bad for new shooters (Or for those that didn’t quite have the finances to stack deep), I really do, but everyone else, not so much. We had over a year at crazy low prices. We knew elections were coming up... we saw corona starting to take hold... I remember paying almost $1 per round for 5.56. My wife was not too happy when I started buying more ammo at the cheap prices... I told her it won’t last... it didn’t and now she sees my point.

I have no intention of selling any ammo, but if I do it will be at market rate.

Ya I just started getting into guns (collecting C&R and building ARs) the last like 4-5 months and these ammo prices are killing me. I really wish I started like 2 years ago when I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    Ya I just started getting into guns (collecting C&R and building ARs) the last like 4-5 months and these ammo prices are killing me. I really wish I started like 2 years ago when I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the same boat. I just got my pistol last year (Black Friday) and the price in ammo is killing me.

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    I wouldn't go too crazy, prices will come back down.

Will they if online purchasing ends :/

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000173-782a-d3de-ab7b-783b9b650000

Ending the Epidemic of Gun Violence 3
    4 Gun violence is a public health crisis in the United States. Nearly 40,000 people die annually
    5 from guns—devastating countless families, friends, and communities. Addressing the gun
    6 violence crisis requires supporting evidence-based programs that prevent gun deaths from
    7 occurring in the first place, including by making mental health care more accessible, funding
    8 interventions to reduce homicides and gun violence in neighborhoods, and strengthening
    9 protections against domestic violence. Democrats will also ensure the Centers for Disease
    10 Control and Prevention have sufficient resources to study gun violence as a public health issue.
    12 Democrats will enact universal background checks, end online sales of guns and ammunition,
    13 close dangerous loopholes that currently allow stalkers and some individuals convicted of assault
    14 or battery to buy and possess firearms, and adequately fund the federal background check
    15 system. We will close the “Charleston loophole” and prevent individuals who have been
    16 convicted of hate crimes from possessing firearms. Democrats will ban the manufacture and sale
    17 of assault weapons and high capacity magazines. We will incentivize states to enact licensing
    18 requirements for owning firearms and “red flag” laws that allow courts to temporarily remove
    19 guns from the possession of those who are a danger to themselves or others. We will pass
    20 legislation requiring that guns be safely stored in homes. And Democrats believe that gun
    21 companies should be held responsible for their products, just like any other business, and will
    22 prioritize repealing the law that shields gun manufacturers from civil liability.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    If you think it’s high now, wait till October. And if Trump loses, you can kiss it goodbye. If Biden wins in November, I would be afraid of actually not being able to buy ammo. The people handling him don’t want you to own any ammo at all.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    If you think it’s high now, wait till October. And if Trump loses, you can kiss it goodbye. If Biden wins in November, I would be afraid of actually not being able to buy ammo. The people handling him don’t want you to own any ammo at all.

He’ll put Beta O’Douche in charge of the ATF

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Small LGS is selling Fiocchi M193 $20/50 Federal M193 $17/20 and AE223 $9/20

It is out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom