• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    What are people using for steel targets at AGC? I'd like something I could just buy and set up (after requisite certification), but am open to other suggestions if they're not too complicated.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    AGC has ground brackets permanently installed that will accomodate steel targets that are shooter supplied, and mounted on shooter supplied 2x4's. You will need a 2x4 type hanger, a 2x4 cut to say 4 feet in length, and a steel target of approved type and thickness steel with a single mounting hole.

What is IMPORTANT is to be sure to buy a hanger that, when the steel plate is mounted, will have the SKINNY side of the 2x4 FACING THE SHOOTER! They make 2x4 hangers two different ways with regard to how the hanger and the 2x4 faces the shooter. But the way the AGC ground brackets are installed requires that CAREFUL attention is paid to the hanger configuration selected.

A picture is worth 1000 words as they say. In the link attached, all 3 pictures depict the same correct hanger bracket.
    Pictures 1 and 2 most clearly show the proper configuration for 2x4 mounted steel targets for AGC. Remember, the hanger you select must face the skinny side of the 2x4 toward you the shooter, just like a stud wall would appear, and you'll have just what you need. Wide side facing the shooter styled target hanger brackets simply WILL NOT WORK with AGC installed ground brackets.

https://ctstargets.com/products/2x4-pro-target-hanger

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    AGC has ground brackets permanently installed that will accomodate steel targets that are shooter supplied, and mounted on shooter supplied 2x4's. You will need a 2x4 type hanger, a 2x4 cut to say 4 feet in length, and a steel target of approved type and thickness steel with a single mounting hole.

What is IMPORTANT is to be sure to buy a hanger that, when the steel plate is mounted, will have the SKINNY side of the 2x4 FACING THE SHOOTER! They make 2x4 hangers two different ways with regard to how the hanger and the 2x4 faces the shooter. But the way the AGC ground brackets are installed requires that CAREFUL attention is paid to the hanger configuration selected.

A picture is worth 1000 words as they say. In the link attached, all 3 pictures depict the same correct hanger bracket.
    Pictures 1 and 2 most clearly show the proper configuration for 2x4 mounted steel targets for AGC. Remember, the hanger you select must face the skinny side of the 2x4 toward you the shooter, just like a stud wall would appear, and you'll have just what you need. Wide side facing the shooter styled target hanger brackets simply WILL NOT WORK with AGC installed ground brackets.

Great info. Well stated.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I haven't been happy shooting with the target hangers sold by AGC.
    While shooting with 30 calibers rounds the target hanger will bend down exposing the bolt and with one high impact. Disaster.

CTS hangers hold up better against .30 caliber impacts.

Attachments

• P1010014.jpg
      P1010014.jpg
      52.6 KB · Views: 553

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    While shooting with 30 calibers rounds the target hanger will bend down exposing the bolt and with one high impact. Disaster.

Are you tightening the bolt or leaving room for flex? We have been selling these for quite some time and have only heard this one other time (probably you telling me about it while I was restocking targets in the frame closet).

I am actually going to send this photo to the manufacturer and ask them what they think.

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

Are you over tightening the bolt and leaving no room for flex? We have been selling these for quite some time and have only heard this one other time (probably you telling me about it while I was restocking targets in the frame closet).

Either way and based on that photo, I would not recommend using our target hangers with .30 caliber. I am actually going to send this photo to the manufacturer and ask them what they think.

The target holder in Uncle Duke's link shows a spring between the bracket and steel target to allow some movement when hit. I never thought of that but it may help

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

This is good info, especially about the orientation of the target hanger. That said, when using a target that is permanently mounted (single mounting point that does not allow swing), the hanger must be at a 20 - 45 degree angle. I do not believe that this CTS hanger meets that requirement (see page 55 of the P&P manual). I suppose one could make the argument that that perfect shot placement on the target would force the spring action to angle the target at 20 degrees, however someone else could argue that the same spring makes this a swinging target and not allowed because it only has one mounting point.

https://www.associatedgunclubs.org/agc/pdfs/Policies Procedures Manual.pdf

To be honest, I am not sure how this rule would or is interpreted by the RSO on duty. It would be a shame to spend the money and show up with this target hanger, only to have the RSO on duty tell you that you can not use it. You do not have that problem when using hangers purchased from the AGC.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

Here is the response from the vendor. Again, we have been selling these things for years and have not seen this type of damage. We also use them for our rifle targets during our 3 Gun matches. Those targets have been pounded 1000s of times and have never had one break. I think the vendor is right, something is not quite right here. Take a look and their response. Are you using one of the 8", 12", or 2/3 IPSC targets that we sold you or did you bring your own?

Something looks off in that picture. They almost had to have a gong with ears hanging on it. Or a very small gong on it. If a gong was used that has ears on it that is made to be hung with chains, the ears are not large enough to protect the mount.

If you use one of our 8in or larger plates like you always order that is not possible. It looks like a very very small piece of steel was hung from that hanger. Looks like the hanger was exposed directly to the bullets. If you look at the mount it has impacts from what look like .22lr bullets directly on it. My assumption is that it had a 3" or 4" gong hung on it which is to small for that hanger and will expose it to direct impacts from guns.

Also in regards to the spring idea..... this has been tried in nauseum and it just never works consistent enough to be worth it. If the spring get to tight it can hold the smaller targets like an 8" sideways after its struck exposing the mount.

Also that competitors mount that they link to does not have a long enough extension from the 2x4 to get angle on larger targets like the 2/3rds ipsc. The bottom of the ipsc will hit the 2x4 before you can get much angle.

All I know is I have never seen that happen to one of our 2x4 angle mounts before. We have thousands and thousands of them out in the field. I have about 10 of them right now in a PRS rifle match and some of those hangers have been used in this same match for many years.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    Are you tightening the bolt or leaving room for flex? We have been selling these for quite some time and have only heard this one other time (probably you telling me about it while I was restocking targets in the frame closet).

I am actually going to send this photo to the manufacturer and ask them what they think.

With the spring in there is little remain of threads to tighten. When I tighten the nut to engage the lock nut it is compressed.
    With continued hits the nut with lock washer loosing and the target drops to the ground.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    With the spring in there is little remain of threads to tighten. When I tighten the nut to engage the lock nut it is compressed.
    With continued hits the nut with lock washer loosing and the target drops to the ground.

What size target are you shooting? How did all of the direct hits to the mount happen? How did that hole open all the way up on top like that? I am trying to understand (as is the vendor) exactly how it is that that mount got destroyed.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What is IMPORTANT is to be sure to buy a hanger that, when the steel plate is mounted, will have the SKINNY side of the 2x4 FACING THE SHOOTER!

What blows my mind is how anyone can shoot the 2x4. Regardless which side is facing.
    I know skinny side facing provides stronger support.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

What size target are you shooting? How did all of the direct hits to the mount happen? How did that hole open all the way up on top like that? I am trying to understand (as is the vendor) exactly how it is that that mount got destroyed.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I shoot 1/2" and 3/8" targets from CTS.
    I have destroyed 7 targets. The weak point is the mounting hole.
    I use no gongs.
    The damaged holder serves double duty for a 2" target for days when 22 rimfire are required. That is the reason for the 22 impacts.

Attachments

• P1010015.jpg
      P1010015.jpg
      51.3 KB · Views: 195

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I shoot 1/2" and 3/8" targets from CTS.
    I have destroyed 7 targets. The weak point is the mounting hole.
    I use no gongs.
    The damaged holder serves double duty for a 2" target for days when 22 rimfire are required. That is the reason for the 22 impacts.

What size targets are you shooting .30 caliber at? That mounting system you have rigged up there is not how these were intended to be used. If used properly, I don’t believe it would be possible to destroy it as you did.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg

I am hard on targets. Continuing hits causes the mount to bend exposing the bolt.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    What blows my mind is how anyone can shoot the 2x4. Regardless which side is facing.
    I know skinny side facing provides stronger support.

Shoot a 6 inch plate with buckhorn sights at 100 yards.

A well placed 44 special round, shot just a tad low, is perfect to get the 2x4's attention. The second round, placed in close enough proximity, will cut the 2x4 clean in half.

Then your 2x4 stands proudly without a target.
    And you get to wait for a cease fire.

2 shots per 1/2 hour. It's a GREAT way to save cost and ammo in today's climate!

Not that I've ever done that of course...:)

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I am hard on targets. Continuing hits causes the mount to bend exposing the bolt.

I dont doubt it if this is how you are mounting targets. Now would be the time that we tell everyone who was considering buying a target kit from the AGC they they can rest assured this won’t happen if they use it as intended. To be honest, I kind of doubt that concoction you have there with the exposed mount behind the target would meet the RSO sniff test. Why even bother to put a target on it at all?

Note the targets hanging on the wall In this photo, specifically those across the top. Notice how the mount is covered and always shielded from being struck by a round. If mounted in this fashion, then our mounts will last tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of rounds.

Attachments

• 5B95FBE1-ECE1-403D-BAC8-CD11AD08D203.jpg
      5B95FBE1-ECE1-403D-BAC8-CD11AD08D203.jpg
      113.5 KB · Views: 202

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads