• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Watch fans, tell me about Luminox. A few years ago I bought a Luminox 5021 GN. I probably wore it a dozen times before I decided that a G-Shock was more practical for work. It went back in the box and has sat untouched since. Now it has a dead battery and I'm trying to figure out if I want to swap the battery and use it or just sell it. Are they well built watches, fairly accurate as these things go? I'm thinking this would be a candidate for a NATO strap if I keep it...

Educate me please.

The Luminox brand has been around. They are well built, light and comfortable to wear.My Dad has one, I tried wearing it but I did not like it, I am partial to mechanical movement watches. This is a good tool watch with good aesthetics, but the lightness and plasticky looking feel cheap. No offense, Just me.
    If you need that luminosity, this watch has it. Powered by Ronda 515 caliber swiss quartz ( Lower end of the spectrum). Not an HAQ, around 150 seconds/year accurate which is good enough for most application.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The Luminox brand has been around. They are well built, light and comfortable to wear.My Dad has one, I tried wearing it but I did not like it, I am partial to mechanical movement watches. This is a good tool watch with good aesthetics, but the lightness and plasticky looking feel cheap. No offense, Just me.
    If you need that luminosity, this watch has it. Powered by Ronda 515 caliber swiss quartz ( Lower end of the spectrum). Not an HAQ, around 150 seconds/year accurate which is good enough for most application.

Why any watch enthusiast would get a quartz movement is beyond me.

toddtrain

Sep 19, 2012
    Carroll County MD
    I had the nicest Luminox they offered.

first the jewel did not stay tight and it got water damage. They would not help me out and cost me a bunch of money.

Then the dial broke off so I super glued the piece of shit together. Biggest waste of $700 in my life..... My $80 G shock is way better. I also like my apple watch but it is not practical in the long term because of the constant need to charge it..

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012

Unless of course it was a vintage Stocker & Yale Sandy 590 that held special significance in his life at some point, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep it.... :)

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have owned a Luminox Recon Nav SPC for about 18 months. I bought mine specifically because I wanted a light weight, durable watch that I didn't need to to press a button in order to know the time. In other words it is a Suunto/g shock type watch, and has worked very well for my purposes. I got mine on a pretty steep sale and took off the little compass. I'd buy it again for sure.

I started my search by looking for tritium automatic watches, but never found anything I thought would be the right combo of durability and light weight. Closest candidates included the Marathon GSAR, traser Pathfinder, and a couple of the less complicated ball watches. The Marathon GSAR in particular came close, but I stand by my choice of Luminox Recon.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

You probably hit it dead on for me. I don't really consider myself a watch enthusiast. I've worn one just about every time I left the house since I was 14. They're tools to me in the same way that a knife is. I look for useful features and durable construction. +90% of the time I use G-Shocks that are solar powered, digital and synced to the atomic clock. In the rare time when I have to dress up, I generally feel that analog watches look nicer, but it isn't worth a lot to me to match them up since they'll be under a sleeve. A lot of you guys are here comparing Porche to Ferrari. I'm trying to learn if the new Toyota will do what I need. :D

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You probably hit it dead on for me. I don't really consider myself a watch enthusiast. I've worn one just about every time I left the house since I was 14. They're tools to me in the same way that a knife is. I look for useful features and durable construction. +90% of the time I use G-Shocks that are solar powered, digital and synced to the atomic clock. In the rare time when I have to dress up, I generally feel that analog watches look nicer, but it isn't worth a lot to me to match them up since they'll be under a sleeve. A lot of you guys are here comparing Porche to Ferrari. I'm trying to learn if the new Toyota will do what I need. :D

For pure function, I get it.

drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    I have a couple of citizen watches, to be honest, too damn complicated to use. I have two casio watches that do me fine. Solar powered, auto adjust time. Went thru the yukon and the arctic circle with a cheap timex. Guess i'm just not that fancy

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have both and appreciate them for different reasons. With my mechanical/automatic watches I feel like I'm wearing something special and it's cool knowing that it's a precision instrument that is powered by a spring. The downside of course is that if you don't wear then every day they stop and need to be reset, and none of them are perfectly accurate. My best mechanical runs at +/- 2-4 seconds per day.

With my quartz watches, a couple of them are very nice and I have the peace of mind that as long as the battery isn't dead, they are much much more accurate than my mechanicals, and they don't need to be reset if I don't wear them for a while.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The advent of quartz watches, coupled with modern mass manufacturing and overseas production effectively killed the watch industry for what it was. The same can be said about shoes and many other things.

My grandfather (holocaust survivor who was very frugal), spent about 3/4 weeks pay on a pair of dress shoes back in the 50's, because at the time, that was the market rate for a pair of decent shoes. Shoes, until mass manufacturing and overseas labor, were mostly hand made and it was a very respectable craft.

The same went for watches. My grandfather on my fathers side was a watch and diamond dealer in Philadelphia in the early early to mid 1900's. Sold everything from Rolex, Omega, to the less expensive but still quality Longines, Heuer, etc. This was also the dawn of the wristwatch, so the ad's that I have from him are mostly pocket watches. Back then if you wanted a watch, you paid for the craftmanship, labor, and parts that inevitably went into all watches.

The price gap has widened SO broadly between mass manufacturing and hand crafted, while the actually quality difference gap is getting much closer together. In many instances a $300 Seiko automatic may run as accurately and reliably as something 10-50x the price.

The only way these "handcrafted" brands have survived, is to set the new trend as the standard for luxury (which Rolex did extremely well in the 80's and is why they have the positioning they have today).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Can you educate a watch noob? Whats wrong with a quartz movement?

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with a quartz movement. In most respects quartz is better. It is much cheaper to produce and much more accurate than a manual wind or automatic movement.

If you get into the enthusiast segment, you are looking mostly at craftsmanship. Largely automatic/self-winding movements. While a G-shock will run roughshod over Rolex in functions, accuracy and durability, it ain't a Rolex.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    There's definitely a point of diminishing returns on automatics when it comes to accuracy and refinement vs price, and with some brands you pay a premium for a name.

Rolex is the #1 best known luxury watch brand, and I'm not sure I'd ever own one because of that.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Rolex is the #1 best known luxury watch brand, and I'm not sure I'd ever own one because of that.

From an investment perspective, Rolex might be the better investment. I've debated one for a while, but I'm a cheap SOB so its hard to come off the funds and I don't want people to think i'm flashy.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    There's definitely a point of diminishing returns on automatics when it comes to accuracy and refinement vs price, and with some brands you pay a premium for a name.

There are, as I'm sure you know, a lot of watches that compete with Rolex. I have had a Sub since 1999. I have beaten the crap out of it, and it keeps on going. I think the Rolex company is interesting. They treat their tool watches like tools. The company itself is non-profit and invests heavily in science, the environment, and the arts.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

Says the guy driving the BMW. We KNOW who YOU really are...deep down inside. You ain’t no Yugo guy...maybe not a Timex guy either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom