• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    Is it possible?

What does shipping for a rifle cost?

Jul 1, 2012
    It's possible to import directly as an FFL-03 but you have to go through all the import paperwork and approval.
    From what I understand, it's not cheap either. But you don't have to put an import mark on it, so there's that.
    I know folks that have imported pistols and it was a lengthy and painful process (but ultimately worth it as they were rare here in the US).
    Maybe long guns are easier.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    ATF form 6 is what you need to fill out. You must have the serial number of the fire arm. It’s 90 day wait to get it approved. No cost I believe.

“A Federally licensed firearms collector may obtain a permit to occasionally import curio or relic firearms for the purpose of enhancing the collector’s personal firearms collection, without becoming licensed and registered as an importer. However, a licensed collector may not import surplus military curio or relic firearms or nonsporting handguns.”

You must fill out that form 6 though.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/g...rearms-ammunition-and-implements-war/download

All that said on cost, you may have additional costs from the country it is coming from for duties. The seller may charge more. You’ll probably have to pay a lot for shipping from a company that actually ships firearms internationally.

You could in theory fly there and have a vacation and then fly back home with it (obviously in your suit case and filling out the customs forms).

But you must have the serial number. So you are probably buying it with unseen (or at best with pics).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good grief. This statement basically ruins it. I thought this was supposed to be a free country.

You still can import it, but it’s gotta be a different FFL type. An 01 could import a surplus military C&R for you.

Also non-sporting is a narrow category. As it stands under GCA only Firearms with a sporting purpose and curios and relics can be imported. That’s why “assault weapons” can’t be imported without the 922r parts on them. Not sure why FFL-03 can’t import surplus C&R firearms...

Anyway, a non-sporting purpose handgun would probably be something like a H&K MP5K. A sporting purpose handgun could be a Browning High power AFAIK.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    You still can import it, but it’s gotta be a different FFL type. An 01 could import a surplus military C&R for you.

Also non-sporting is a narrow category. As it stands under GCA only Firearms with a sporting purpose and curios and relics can be imported. That’s why “assault weapons” can’t be imported without the 922r parts on them. Not sure why FFL-03 can’t import surplus C&R firearms...

Anyway, a non-sporting purpose handgun would probably be something like a H&K MP5K. A sporting purpose handgun could be a Browning High power AFAIK.

It has to be an 08 because 01s can't import military surplus firearms either.

The 1968 GCA ban on importing non sporting firearms was taken to mean all military surplus. The early 80s law that legalized importing surplus only explicitly allowed 08s to do so.

Non sporting handgun would be a Walther PPK or a Glock 25. A sporting handgun would be something that meets the points requirement by caliber, sights, weight, size, breech mechanism, etc. An MP5K type handgun like an SP5K or SP89 meets the sporting purposes test on the Form 4590 fine on its own. The PPK did not, so the PPK/S was created. Glock 19s didn't quite either, so they have a serrated "target trigger" and have to be imported with the adjustable sights and be converted to back in the US. The Glock 25 and 28 still lack enough points with an adjustable sight since being .380 and straight blowback loses them points. Unlike semi auto rifles and shotguns, handguns aren't prohibited by evil feature, mag capacity, or foreign parts and can be changed into any configuration once in the US.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    The guys I know who did it went through an importer. Made it much simpler as the importer knows the ropes and likely has a shipment coming in so adding a few more doesn't matter much.

Sadly, the man I knew who personally imported 10,000's of things has passed so I don't have a POC for you.

In the end unless it is a valuable or rare piece it may not be worth it.

Another option is to get stationed in Germany, become a certified hunter there and then you can buy there. Takes a couple of years that way though :)

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Exporting from Europe is an interesting endeavour. First question would be whether you are shipping it from an EU country or one of the few other associated ones.
    Basically, you need a license to export from the ministry of trade of the corresponding country that is in case of an individual only valid for a certain set of firearms (serial numbers etc.). They will only issue the license if they get the paperwork that you are permitted to import and posess those arms. Afterwards good luck finding a carrier to take them over the atlantic. Very few do this and it is usually quite expensive.
    There are a few export services that will go through all this for a fee. Usually worth it - even a lot of smaller gunsmith and dealers do not want to go through this buerocratic BS.

On the cout on importing. Yeah, you can do it, unless it is military surplus. Given the post war conditions in Europe, many hunting rifles are built on surplus recievers as they were cheap and plentiful. So make sure you know what you are trying to buy. Unless it is really fancy, rare and fits in your luggage better find an 01FFL to import it for you.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    As a simple FFL03 holder I can state that I've tried more than once to buy from a German vendor and was told it was not possible.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I’ve been thinking about trying to organize a group buy of Danish “Captured” German Mauser rifles that were rechambered to 6.5x55 Swedish from a Danish vendor. I know an importer who could bring them in.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve been thinking about trying to organize a group buy of Danish “Captured” German Mauser rifles that were rechambered to 6.5x55 Swedish from a Danish vendor. I know an importer who could bring them in.

If you ever start moving down that path, please post to let us know. I am a cheap bastard, I admit it. But if the price is decent once the dust settles I’d be highly interested.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

I may look at this too price dependent. Doesnt Simpson bring in firearms on request?

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I may look at this too price dependent. Doesnt Simpson bring in firearms on request?

http://bisgaardnielsen.dk/shop/460-rifler-og-gevaerer/2039-mauser-98k-code-s147---1937/

Here’s an example of one. They’re still in “military configuration” just rechambered to 6.5x55 Swedish.

A little less than 400 Euro’s doesn’t seem too bad to me. Of course, with import and shipping fee’s it’d be a good chunk more, but with a larger quantity being brought in, the price goes down. My importer is local too, I trust them over anybody else.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch

Well, I know a few guys in Germany and the Netherlands who can export them. If you want to go that route, gimme a shout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom