• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    You must like those fud ranges were you can only fire one round every 3 seconds. Just go to them then.

Sounds like a plan! And you just keep going to a smoky, dimly-lit craphole where employees call customers 'idiots' for not purchasing a membership and that caters to Mountain Dew and Dorito-crazed morons who want to pretend they're Rambo. Good luck! :party29:

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    Sounds like a plan! And you just keep going to a smoky, dimly-lit craphole where employees call customers 'idiots' for not purchasing a membership and that caters to Mountain Dew and Dorito-crazed morons who want to pretend they're Rambo. Good luck! :party29:

I see you've never been to Maryland Small Arms Range. That place is more like what you are describing.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    [soap box]
    TMGN is a nice place with Nice People.
    The range ownership and management bend over backward to provide a safe placed to shoot without being over bearing.
    I think if you ask TMGN they too are not super fond of the Groupon crowd, but it happens at every public range. Welcome to being open to the public.
    I have worked ranges where we would dread gun show weekend during the days of the super cheap Mosin's and ammo.
    I watched people bring rifles full of cosmoline and MG ammo that was way to hot for a bolt gun on to the range and did my best to educate and keep people safe.

I think those of us who are lucky enough to belong to private clubs and have some of the nicer toys, and the time to practice our hobby forget what it was like when we started and don't know what it is like for some who do not have the resources we may have had.

If it was not for place like TMGN our hobby would dwindle and die. The public places to shoot and learn and practice are so hard to come by.

Are there fuds on the range... Yes. There are fuds on every range open the public. Does TMGN provide a safe and fun place for us to practice our hobby and hang out with our friends. I say yes... they do.

The simple solution is if you disagree... don't go there.

I have taken over a dozen new shooters to TMGN to introduce them to shooting and coach them on the fundamentals and safe.... And I will continue to do so.
    [/soap box]

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I'm not telling anyone they shouldn't go to TMGN, I'm just saying why I won't go there anymore:

#1 I don't feel safe shooting at TMGN when clearly inexperienced individuals are permitted to do stupid shit, like mag dumping semi-automatic .308 rifles at targets 5 yards away while screaming, "Wahoooooo!" at the top of their lungs.

#2 The ventilation system is not as good as other indoor ranges I've used.

#3 The lighting isn't as good as other indoor ranges I've used.

#4 Their customer service isn't as good as other indoor ranges I've used. I generally do not return to patronize a business where an employee thinks I deserve to be called an 'idiot' because I refuse to succumb to their high-pressure sales BS.

#5 Their recently revised pricing for lane rentals is no longer competitive, as Fidelity outlined in his post upthread.

Go to TMGN. Enjoy TMGN. Whatever floats your boat? I think it's lame and it would be the last range I would take a new shooter. YMMV

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Have been there ... three times. Crowded, long waits, testy counter help (probably because of the three dozen people glaring at them from the waiting space). Agree that they need about twice the air handling. Last visit for me became the last visit when I waited nearly an hour for a lane and was asked if I could keep my own lane time to under 30 minutes if possible, but pay the full rate. That’s all she wrote, folks.

Since I’m down in Beltway land, a well timed (traffic-wise) trip to the NRA’s 50 yard facility is pretty well the go to now. There simply are no good choices, otherwise. And the folks at that range are unfailingly polite and cheerful. Doing the math, it’s a bargain.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I go there all the time and I take people there. Much better than most places and they have an excellent selection to rent. Not a single time in years have I had bad service.

I dont know what to say about complaints about the target selection except to say we have this new thing called the internet where you can order you own. Zombies, Democraps (oops thats redundant), spiders, whatever, in color, for $/target.

If you go to a public range enough, you will be around idiots. Who knows, maybe you are the idiot that day. I find TMGN to be extremely well run and safe, and I always think that the RSOs are on top of any issues. Even when people are drawing from a holster, like me. :innocent0

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Have been there ... three times. Crowded, long waits, testy counter help (probably because of the three dozen people glaring at them from the waiting space). Agree that they need about twice the air handling. Last visit for me became the last visit when I waited nearly an hour for a lane and was asked if I could keep my own lane time to under 30 minutes if possible, but pay the full rate. That’s all she wrote, folks.

Since I’m down in Beltway land, a well timed (traffic-wise) trip to the NRA’s 50 yard facility is pretty well the go to now. There simply are no good choices, otherwise. And the folks at that range are unfailingly polite and cheerful. Doing the math, it’s a bargain.

Like most, I was thrilled when another indoor range opened in Frederick. I liked HTC (still do) but thought it catered too much to new shooters and penalized experienced shooters with too many unreasonable rules/restrictions. I had hoped TMGN would be a breath of fresh air but it disappointed faster than expected. To be fair, I only had an issue with one employee in particular; the rest I encountered were OK but between the facility itself leaving a lot to be desired, not understanding the appeal of being able to shoot .50 BMG on a 25 yard indoor range and brow-beating the fvck out of somebody as a sales method, I was like, why bother? HTC may have all the ambience and innate appeal of a dentist's waiting room but, at least, customer's are spared that whole tacticool/soldier of fortune wannabe/mall ninja/wahoooo vibe.

As a member since 1982, I almost feel obligated to shoot at the NRA range a couple of times a year. It's a go-to for friend's visiting from out of town. The range, museum and café make for a really great day. It's a bit of a haul from Frederick but definitely worth it.

Let me know when you want to hit the NRA range? I might be able to talk Fidelity into coming and if so, we'll bring our Fudd guns and have a great day shooting r-e-a-l s--l--o--w because that what Fudds do at Fudd ranges. :rolleyes:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Correct me if I'm wrong , but don't businesses have to affirmatively participate with Groupon ? I don't think it's a random force of nature like a thunderstorm . If you're already overcrowded with customers paying full freight, you don't need to bring in more at s discounted margin. Or at least limit to only off peak .

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

I wasn't going to bring it up, but I guess with this thing called the internet we can also share information. I was similarly made to feel that I needed to rush to finish by an RSO when they weren't busy. I ignored it and shot for 55 minutes (I keep close track of time when renting a lane for an hour). He then remarked that I was the only one shooting for the last 10 minutes. Closing time was in 5 minutes, so I can appreciate that people want to wrap up, but if they don't want lanes rented until 9pm, don't advertise them as such.

Maybe once you get to the range, the RSOs don't know the difference between the members that might feel more flexible about shooting for a shorter time vs nonmembers that paid $25 for what they thought was an hour of range time.

At Heritage they'll actually stay open a bit past 9pm to allow the shooter to finish their hour. I've never done this as I will wrap up a bit before the hour, but always appreciate their courtesy of mentioning this when on the range.

By contrast, I've had good experiences with the counter staff at TMGN. Was thinking that the RSO's behavior was an anomaly, so didn't post earlier.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At other ranges, if you're close to closing time they will say up front to the effect of : We're closing @ X , everyone has to be off range @ Y . Do you want to shoot with only however much remaining ?

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    If poorly illuminated, poorly ventilated indoor ranges where nimrods mag dump shit with little/no supervision is your idea of a good time then hey, by all means, go to TMGN. No problem. Furthermore, if some jerk callling you an "idiot" to your face because you won't buy a membership to their range is your idea of great customer service and being 'friendly' to the gun community, go for it.

Oh yeah, I'm such a detriment to the gun community because I think TMGN sucks. LOL :rolleyes:

That’s BS about little supervision. Full auto rentals require an RSO briefing beforehand and an RSO in the booth with you while firing, that’s in addition to the RSO watching the line. No one shoots unless there is an RSO stationed inside the range. That alone is more than a lot of ranges have.

Yeah, we know, rather than be thankful the toothless rednecks have a safe place to shoot, I guess you’d rather they practice in backyards. Full auto is not my cup of tea. Nevertheless I’ve seen people whoop it up as you say. Perish the thought anyone should enjoy the experienice and get a bit excited.

But I’m not worried that you think TMGN sucks. You have plenty of company with other haters with those that think we all have penis envy.

Oh, and that “poor ventilation”, I’ve talked with them about their system. Fully one third the cost of the range went into that system and it is top of the line. The range air is turned over every 45 seconds, three stages of filters with a HEPA final stage and blended fresh outside air on return. If someone is shooting at a high rate with a muzzle brake, you get some blow back that comes across the line. So what?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    If poorly illuminated, poorly ventilated indoor ranges where nimrods mag dump shit with little/no supervision is your idea of a good time then hey, by all means, go to TMGN. No problem. Furthermore, if some jerk callling you an "idiot" to your face because you won't buy a membership to their range is your idea of great customer service and being 'friendly' to the gun community, go for it.

Oh yeah, I'm such a detriment to the gun community because I think TMGN sucks. LOL :rolleyes:

I do kinda think you are turning into a FUDD... Maybe you need to find some private property where you can be alone with your 303 Enfield. :lol2: just kidding.

If y'all think full auto is bad at TMGN, you ought to come by and take a poll when the Thompson Collectors are at AGC, taking up 1/2 the pistol range with those evil full auto guns shooting at gallon milk jugs.
    I know a few people who wont go over there because they are afraid. Keep in mind some of these people run around with guns at 3-gun. :whoa:

Personally I think its like holster draw and action shooting. If you are not used to it, it seems unsafe.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    That’s BS about little supervision. Full auto rentals require an RSO briefing beforehand and an RSO in the booth with you while firing, that’s in addition to the RSO watching the line. No one shoots unless there is an RSO stationed inside the range. That alone is more than a lot of ranges have.

Yeah, we know, rather than be thankful the toothless rednecks have a safe place to shoot, I guess you’d rather they practice in backyards. Full auto is not my cup of tea. Nevertheless I’ve seen people whoop it up as you say. Perish the thought anyone should enjoy the experienice and get a bit excited.

But I’m not worried that you think TMGN sucks. You have plenty of company with other haters with those that think we all have penis envy.

Oh, and that “poor ventilation”, I’ve talked with them about their system. Fully one third the cost of the range went into that system and it is top of the line. The range air is turned over every 45 seconds, three stages of filters with a HEPA final stage and blended fresh outside air on return. If someone is shooting at a high rate with a muzzle brake, you get some blow back that comes across the line. So what?

Jesus. :rolleyes:

Did I say they were shooting full-auto? No, I said they were mag dumping and I never said an RSO wasn't present. He was there, dicking-around with his cell phone but he clearly wasn't acting in a manner I'd expect from an RSO with two idiots playing Rambo.

So, let me see if I understand: anyone who criticizes TMGN thinks that the people who like TMGN have penis-envy? WTF? Where does that twisted logic of yours come from? Are you really that out of touch with reality? LOL

Glad that you think the ventilation at TMGN is good. I think it's marginal at best. If you want to see a ventilation system that works the way it should, go to either Heritage or NRA. TMGN isn't even close.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    To me... someone was on a mission.

It's a conspiracy, I tells ya! :lol2:

I do kinda think you are turning into a FUDD... Maybe you need to find some private property where you can be alone with your 303 Enfield. :lol2: just kidding.

If y'all think full auto is bad at TMGN, you ought to come by and take a poll when the Thompson Collectors are at AGC, taking up 1/2 the pistol range with those evil full auto guns shooting at gallon milk jugs.
    I know a few people who wont go over there because they are afraid. Keep in mind some of these people run around with guns at 3-gun. :whoa:

Personally I think its like holster draw and action shooting. If you are not used to it, it seems unsafe.

If being a 'Fudd' means I'd rather shoot somewhere other than an indoor range where any idiot(s) can come in and play Army and troll people trying to shoot in adjacent lanes then I guess I'm just a Fudd. LOL

I was an M60 gunner in the US Army from 1976-1979 and have shot more than my fair share of FA weapons from every one of our NATO allies. I used to get my kicks by increasing the ratio of tracers to AP rounds in the M60's linked ammo belt so that my gun looked like it was shooting a laser beam downrange. FA weapons in the hands of people extremely well-trained to use them never made me feel uncomfortable in the slightest. I understand the enjoyment of it but, it's nothing I really care to do on a 25 yard indoor range.

RossL

Dec 29, 2015
    Zzzzz_man, I think the point some folks are making is if you have a bad experience state it and let it be. Instead you keep going because others have dissenting opinions. Let them have their opinion and you have yours. No one wins in an internet argument.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    It's a conspiracy, I tells ya! :lol2:

If being a 'Fudd' means I'd rather shoot somewhere other than an indoor range where any idiot(s) can come in and play Army and troll people trying to shoot in adjacent lanes then I guess I'm just a Fudd. LOL

I was an M60 gunner in the US Army from 1976-1979 and have shot more than my fair share of FA weapons from every one of our NATO allies. I used to get my kicks by increasing the ratio of tracers to AP rounds in the M60's linked ammo belt so that my gun looked like it was shooting a laser beam downrange. FA weapons in the hands of people extremely well-trained to use them never made me feel uncomfortable in the slightest. I understand the enjoyment of it but, it's nothing I really care to do on a 25 yard indoor range.

:rolleyes:

Mag dumps are fun. Who knows, maybe it was me. Boo!

Plus the more people having fun with guns, the better off we are for the 2A community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom