• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    Can anyone recommend a gunsmith with experience with pre war Colts? Preferably in the Baltimore area. Must have chops.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Can anyone recommend a gunsmith with experience with pre war Colts? Preferably in the Baltimore area. Must have chops.

Which war and which Colt?

If you are talking about 1911's I recommend our own John Carduner. Look for him in the IP section.

Pre-Civil War cap and ball guns - you are on your own.

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    Which war and which Colt?

If you are talking about 1911's I recommend our own John Carduner. Look for him in the IP section.

Pre-Civil War cap and ball guns - you are on your own.

The Big One, WWI. I'm looking for a someone with experience with the 1902, the 1903 (both hammer and hammerless) and the 1905. I know Turnbull can handle it but I'd rather find someone local.

Jul 1, 2012
    They are pretty straightforward pistols, what do you need done?
    I remember your thread about the Pocket Hammer trigger issue...
    Finding parts is the tricky thing - but on the plus side, the 1900, 1902 (Sporting & Military), 1903 Pocket Hammer, and 1905 share most of the internal parts.
    As far as I know, fresh springs are not available for the 1900-style pistols.
    Wolff has complete kits for the Model M aka 1903 Pocket Hammerless, minus the flat multi-spring.

On the 1900-style pistols always check carefully for cracks around the front barrel lug-to-barrel joint and the cutouts in the slide for the slide lock.
    The firing pins are brass so you need to check those for broken tips and cracks where the hammer strikes it.
    I would not recommend shooting a 1905 at all, as the slides tend to crack (even back in the day, with the original, lighter loads), and absolutely never shoot it with modern 235gr loads.

Refinishing I wouldn't trust to anyone until I saw examples of their work, and I'd think long and hard before doing it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom