• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gutshootem

Feb 27, 2013
    Calvert
    I bought a savage 220 from BPS 6-8 months ago and am just finally getting around to getting it set up. I plopped a one piece dnz mount on it and attempted to put the mounting screws in to see how it fit and determine if I needed to bed it. The first 3 went in with no problem. The last, which was the front most screw went in about 2 turns and tightened up. I backed all of them out and looked down into the hole and it was filed with steel shavings and dirt. I tried cleaning it out the best I could but I can't get a screw down in it and ended up screwing up the threads on one of the screws in the process.

I looked everywhere but can't find the receipt from BPS. I'm sure Savage will take care of it but I really don't want to have to pay to ship the gun back.

Any suggestions??

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Do you have access to a tap and die set? If so find the right size tap in it and you should be good as long as you didn't really mangle the threads up.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Try tickling the threads with a dental pick. Don't get too aggressive with it though. Don't want to do more harm than good.

gutshootem

Feb 27, 2013
    Calvert
    Don't have a tap and die set. Forgive my ignorance, but is a blind tap what I would be getting in the tap and die set or are they two different tools? Also, if I run one of them into the screw hole, what would happen to the debris that's in there screwing things up now?

I've tried the little plastic dental pics, maybe I'll swing by walmart in the am to see if they sell the metal version and give that a try.

I didn't secure any of the other screws. Prob ran them in about half way.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Don't have a tap and die set. Forgive my ignorance, but is a blind tap what I would be getting in the tap and die set or are they two different tools? Also, if I run one of them into the screw hole, what would happen to the debris that's in there screwing things up now?

I've tried the little plastic dental pics, maybe I'll swing by walmart in the am to see if they sell the metal version and give that a try.

I didn't secure any of the other screws. Prob ran them in about half way.

You should be able to get the die you need from McMaster-Carr
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-taps/=17hi38q

Use a little oil and run it in and out as you clean the threads and you should be able to get the junk out of there. They are designed for the shavings to work themselves out. Just take it easy with it and it should work out fine.

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    I got my Savage 220 a couple weeks ago and had similar issues when installing my weaver mount, where the very front screw got tight before it was all the way in. It also locked the bolt in place. Not sure if your problem is the same, but I found that the mount came with 2 different length screws. If this is also the case with the DNZ mount, try putting the two longer ones in the back and the shorter ones in the front (or vice versa). This completely fixed my problem. Good luck!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I got my Savage 220 a couple weeks ago and had similar issues when installing my weaver mount, where the very front screw got tight before it was all the way in. It also locked the bolt in place. Not sure if your problem is the same, but I found that the mount came with 2 different length screws. If this is also the case with the DNZ mount, try putting the two longer ones in the back and the shorter ones in the front (or vice versa). This completely fixed my problem. Good luck!

You beat me to it. Definitely check for this!

gutshootem

Feb 27, 2013
    Calvert
    Thanks guys I'll double check when I get home but I believe I have 4 longer screws for the rings and 4 shorter ones for the base. I've moved them around and don't have issues with any of them but that shallow front one. I can only get it in about 2 rotations and it locks up.
    In hindsight, I should have looked into the receiver holes before running a screw in there. That front one was filthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom