• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Does anybody here think the Trijicon VCOG 1-6x24 is worth $2300??? Maybe if I am a mercenary who will HALO jump into some hell hole. For the rest of us, that price tag seems insane.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If you go with one of the 4x fixed jobbers just be careful to check eye relief. Some of them are not good in that department. Genuine thing will probably be fine but some of the similar prismatic scopes, even the more expensive ones, can have very short eye relief and that gets old fast.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Does anybody here think the Trijicon VCOG 1-6x24 is worth $2300??? Maybe if I am a mercenary who will HALO jump into some hell hole. For the rest of us, that price tag seems insane.

Vixen is a little known brand in the US but much more reasonable, and made at Light Optical in Japan right alongside the $2-3K traditional high end brands. Best deal out there in high end stuff right now IMHO.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Got sn Aimpoint Patrol Red Dot for the 3/4 build class for my 300 build. I really Like it. Also I am waiting on that Vortex new Red dot to come out end of March- the Razor AMG UH-1. I want to give that a try

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    This is not intended to offend but to help you find an answer.
    Okay I did a quick scan of some threads you made and what little I know of your collection. You had 2 AR's and spent $800ish bucks on a Colt for the name. You had a thread about a bayonet that I haven't found new for less than a $100.
    I presume you're like most gun owners and own 1-3 handguns.
    You put Vortex optics on your rifles (good quality for the price point) and have a few.

Somewhere in there we can find the budget for a $2300 optic from a company that is world renowned, has fantastic QC and offers dual illumination (fiber optic and tritium) and no batteries for those that want Amish carbines. Pair it with a good quality QD mount and you can move it amongst several rifles.

*****THE FOLLOWING IS NOT DIRECTED AT YOU*****

A lot of people are of the mentality that a bunch of mediocre stuff is better than a few high quality things. To put it in context for the layman would you rather have dinner with the hosts of The View or Madison Ivy?

For me personally I hold no fantasies about outfitting my neighbors and forming a militia. I have one goal. To be better than anyone trying to kill me. A high quality optic (red dot/magnified flip a coin) will be faster than irons. It will allow better accuracy and more information as ranges increase and targets are smaller. It has increased weight, I do more pushups. It runs on batteries, I carry extras and do more pushups. Simple.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    For the red dot Id take a look at the TruDot RDS. I payed 370 with Taxes and the field of view is amazing! It could use one more brightness setting, but its not a deal breaker, and the auto shut off function so far has been perfect. Another thing to not is you won't have any of the blue tint like the MRO has. Caveat I've only been shooting with it once, and I've only owned it two weeks, but with the positive reviews and it being a military grade optic without the aluminum housing I think you'd be good to go. Cheaper, takes AAs, Auto on auto off feature, Clear no blue or red tint to the glass, and Eotech FOV.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    MOPAR - I think you made an excellent argument for getting a $500 red dot over a $100 red dot. I'm just not seeing the $2300 - but I am sure it is the best money can buy. In that I have no doubt. :)

VikingFan65

Apr 19, 2013
    Howard County
    I have both the TA31 and the TA11. I prefer the TA11. It is a little heavier, but has greater eye relief and FOV. My TA31 has an RMR mounted on top, so that is an expensive option, but give great flexibility. I also have both an Aimpoint T2 and the Trijicon MRO on other rifles. I just bought a second MRO, because of the larger FOV and it was cheaper, but they are both great red dots.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you go with one of the 4x fixed jobbers just be careful to check eye relief. Some of them are not good in that department. Genuine thing will probably be fine but some of the similar prismatic scopes, even the more expensive ones, can have very short eye relief and that gets old fast.

I see what you mean. The Trijicon 4x32 ACOG Scope M4A1 has a 1.5" eye relief.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    In the past couple years, my once minor astigmatism has worsened markedly, so I am more limited than some in my options. If I had unlimited funds, I would put the ELCAN SpectreDR on many of my rifles. I trusted that optic with my life overseas, and it never failed me. Since I don't have unlimited funds, I am pretty happy with various 1-4, 1-6, and 1-8 scopes. Some are nicer than others, though I even have a PA 1-6 on a rifle that works pretty well. I've banged it up good and it still works fine so far. Glass is nothing approaching an ELCAN or ACOG, but it works fine.

Old injuries to my neck, my large frame, and aforementioned worsening eyesight make nose to charging handle a little challenging without using a very short PDW type stock, so ACOGs and their ilk are try before buy. Some work very well but I typically need to try the one I want to buy out on a rifle before I feel comfortable dropping the cash on them. Specifically I'd prefer to test transitioning between and shooting prone, standing, kneeling, etc. If I'm paying that much for an optic it needs to earn it's keep and work completely for me, not merely be okay. If it does, I have no complaints about price.

Right now on my "CQB" carbine AR I'm using a Vortex SpitfireAR. I like it quite a lot and since I'm not currently using that rifle for home defense, I'm not too concerned about it crapping out on me. I use it hard and put it away wet, and so far I'm happy. If it breaks, I'll send it off to Vortex for repair or replacement. If I don't trust it by the time I decide to press that particular rifle into home defense service (assuming I do), I'll probably replace it with a Trijicon TA45 ACOG. It sucks having to pay even more than people pay for Aimpoints to get true reliability, but life isn't fair, huh?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I just picked up a Romeo 5 for one of my AR's. If you want to try it out we can meet up. From what I understand it has technology that allows for 40,000 hour battery life. I'm testing the claim.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    For the 2nd rifle , I love My Trijicon MRO. Put it in a Geisselle mount since I don't need QD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chance you know the difference between the Trijicon MRO and RMR? Why pick one over the other?

Right now, I think I am leaning toward the MRO with a low mount QR base for the SBR. I am going to use offset iron sights on the rifle, so no need for co-witness mounts.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Any chance you know the difference between the Trijicon MRO and RMR? Why pick one over the other?

Right now, I think I am leaning toward the MRO with a low mount QR base for the SBR. I am going to use offset iron sights on the rifle, so no need for co-witness mounts.
    The MRO (now the mro patrol) is about 5x as heavy, and has a much larger FOV. The RMR fits onto the top of a pistol slide, whereas the MRO probably would be pretty hilariously unwieldy in most similar applications. The RMR has anywhere from a 1 to a 13 MOA dot of varying colors and designs. The MRO has a red dot. Not sure on size, probably about 2 MOA. The MRO Is likely to be better suited on an AR15 or other MSR, but you could use either one if you had a strong preference.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The MRO (now the mro patrol) is about 5x as heavy, and has a much larger FOV. The RMR fits onto the top of a pistol slide, whereas the MRO probably would be pretty hilariously unwieldy in most similar applications. The RMR has anywhere from a 1 to a 13 MOA dot of varying colors and designs. The MRO has a red dot. Not sure on size, probably about 2 MOA. The MRO Is likely to be better suited on an AR15 or other MSR, but you could use either one if you had a strong preference.

Thanks. I think the larger field of view seals it for me on the MRO and that will be what I get for the SBR. I was initially going to go with the lighter weight/smaller size of the RMR, but I don't plan on lugging this rifle further than the kitchen or the range, not that an SBR is heavy in the first place.

Thanks again.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Primary Arms 1-6 acss with the horseshoe reticle. They also just came out with a 1-8. These are both extremely good deals.

I really want the Trijicon MRO for my SBR. But I think there are better deals to be had.

If money is not a major factor, get the Accupoint and the MRO.

Thanks for mentioning Primary Arms. Had no idea it made scopes. My biggest question is, what is the quality level of its scopes? I know Trijicon is somewhat legendary, and I was going to pony up the cash for the VCOG. The focus issue that was already mentioned on the VCOG was a slight worry though.

Then, I went to Primary Arms website and found this scope:

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...escope-patented-acss-reticle-pa1-8x24ffp-acss

I really like it and it is half the price of the VCOG. Only worry is reliability from a Primary Arms scope.

The other ones like it at $399 or less are also an option. Not as nice, but a lot easier on the wallet, except for that "buy once, cry once and hang on to it for life" mantra of mine.

schnauzr

Bark Bark!
    Jun 6, 2016
    MoCo
    If you're​ looking at Primary Arms, take a look at the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x - lifetime warranty from Vortex and are quite popular scopes.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    OP, some thoughts off the top of my head.

Spend some time thinking about what your overall goals are. On a budget and want to get the most for a set limited amount (if so, what's the top limit?), best "bang for the buck"...looking for value...want a decent scope but don't want to take a second mortgage out, or looking for the best you can get (and if so, is it best optic for HD, best for long range precision, best for 3 gun?). Based on looking at the ACOG, I'm thinking you're somewhere around category two.

With optics, you really do get what you pay for. General rule of thumb, if it's got a budget price and a lot of bells and whistles (like variable power, illuminated reticles (especially red & green options), parallax adjustment) the glass will suck and overall quality will be varying from garbage to OK for casual range use. Scopes named after birds of prey usually fall into this category. Also think of it like any other tool, matching the optic and rifle up best really depends on what the rifle's purpose is. Home defense, or do you really just take it to the range and like making small groups on paper? Long range precision, or hunting...where the ability to acquire the target quickly and get a round off within a 6-8 inch radius is more important than putting 4 subsequent shots as close as possible at ranges beyond 600 yds?

For home defense, I prefer a red dot if you don't have astigmatism. I'm preferential to AimPoint. Aimpoint Pro if you're on a budget (not a budget scope though), or Micro if you can spend the money and want more battery life and a lighter scope. Very fast target acquisition, but not conducive to longer range shooting with any degree of precision.

If the rifle's primary purpose is very general...might be HD, mostly will be range toy, might take it hunting, I like the idea of 1x? power scopes. For a variable 1x? power scope, I like Vortex or SWFA. You definitely get what you pay for here....it's very difficult to have a true 1X? scope that minimizes parallax and has good quality glass. If it's inexpensive, they're making concessions somewhere. Primary Arms or the Vortex Strike Eagle are both popular options, but they are definitely budget options (e.g. first category above). That's ok, but you should know that's what they are. I own a Strike Eagle...so I'm not knocking it too much...but it is what it is...and it ain't a Schmidt & Bender. 1X will not quite be 1X, and it won't be parallax free at that setting. The glass will be OK, but not as clear or bright and you'll get some fish eyeing. Eye relief won't be as generous. Spending a bit more money and getting a Vortex Viper starts moving you to the second category of scope and an SWFA HD or a Vortex Razor HD moves you somewhere in the high second and low third category.

Long range precision is a whole other discussion.

Just something to think about...most people spend a LOT of money on a really nice rifle and then look for a budget scope. Professionals generally spend at least as much on their optics, if not two to three times as much. Not saying that's what you should do...but the point is that optics are worth carefully thinking about when you choose to invest in them. If you're the kind of guy who would say that it doesn't make sense to save a few hundred by buying a DPMS over a Colt and getting a better overall quality rifle, then buying a primary arms scope probably doesn't make much sense either. If you're the kind of guy that says they both go bang and are fun, then Primary Arms will likely make you more than happy. I'm not being snobby...either is fine, but just be honest with yourself. Are you a recreational shooter who takes their rifle out every so often or are you a competitor (or looking to become one) and will use your equipment pretty hard.

Those are the harder questions to ask yourself...but spending the time to get clear on them will in the end make your choices easier (but maybe not for your wallet) and your overall satisfaction down the road higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom