• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I'm interested depending on time frame.

Not sure what bolt to take but I can come up with something for sure.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    when were you looking to do this? spring?

I was looking over bang steel and trying to figure out the costs. this is what I came up with

Course $200 (depends you what the group rate is)
    Fuel $80 (round trip with my car)
    hotel $150 (2 nights $75 per night according to their website)
    ammo $200 to $300 (depends on type i figure 200rds at between $20 to 30 a box for .308)

i am interested but it depends on when. i would probably drive down Friday after work and leave on sunday after the class drive time looks 7 hrs for me. it will depend on traffic and time of the day

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As long as you don't try to go out I-66, the drive is not too bad. For most MDers, Frederick to 340 to get over an dpick up I-81 works best.

As for overall cost, with more people going, people can car pool to save gas (and wear and tear on car) and some might want to share a room.

Any suggestions for dates?

I went near the end of April last year and the weather was OK. I went in early August the first time, and it was warm, but OK.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    As long as you don't try to go out I-66, the drive is not too bad. For most MDers, Frederick to 340 to get over an dpick up I-81 works best.

As for overall cost, with more people going, people can car pool to save gas (and wear and tear on car) and some might want to share a room.

Any suggestions for dates?

I went near the end of April last year and the weather was OK. I went in early August the first time, and it was warm, but OK.

carpool you say?

I might be able to get my hands on one of these :innocent0

BP3CYPBUILD_136B520C-16B4-81C8-6223-C9F46223C9F4.png

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I will contact Dan ant Bang Steel and see what I can work out.

I figure limit to 6 - 8 shooters, otherwise, you spend too much time waiting.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OK, I have heard from both Ed and Dan.

Both would be happy to support this. I am getting final pricing and will post when I get it.

Dan has mainly weekdays open. He has proposed either April 25/26 or 26/27, or May 2/3 or 3/4. Ed says it is the start of the busy season, so we can ask for any dates, the earlier the better.

Both feel a maximum of 6 - 8 shooters is the limit for learning and shooting time.

Here is what Ed says about the two philosophy of the two of them:

Dan is great trainer and geared more toward groups and tends to provide more "practical" style shooting for a greater cross section that encompasses more civilians. I more focus on absolute precision/first round hits under varying conditions with individuals, partners and small teams and work with a lot of contractors, SWAT units and competitors.

What do you think?

Who is actually serious about doing this?

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Depending on the cost, I'm very interested. I'd love to take my AR50, but I know Ed doesn't allow it & I doubt Dan would either. So I'll use either my Savage 10 .308 or my Remington 700 30.06. However, preference should be for those expressing interest in the thread earliest, so put my name in after theirs.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I prefer to gear toward immersion over laid back fun, especially if I'm paying. I initially started this conversation with vinjet700 and wish to go when he can. He has a Daytona bike week trip to schedule around. Early spring is my preference and not the second weekend of the month if we can help it .

If you guys are truly looking for a more laid back experience I'm cool scheduling seperately as well. I'm easy like that.

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    I am so interested we should make this a regular thing first couple of times do the training and fun then we should coordinate matches. If they would be willing.

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    I could probably do it twice a year. As long as deployment schedule matches up with scheduled times.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Both are serious training. Both will raise your knowledge and skill in long range shooting, whether for fun or for competitions.

Best case, do BOTH. I have not taken a class from Ed (but want to do so), but I am sure he will explain some things in a different manner than Dan. One may click better with you than the other, and on the next topic, the other may click better.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OK, here is the pricing at this time:

Dan Newberry at BangSteel - $340 per person for 2 days. Minimum 4 students

Ed Shell at CVT - A HECK of a deal at $200 per person for 2 days, minimum 6 students. If less the price will go up slightly.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Being on a fixed income & spending too much lately on precious metals (lead, brass, & steel), I like Ed's pricing. But I can do either if the group wants.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    OK, here is the pricing at this time:

Dan Newberry at BangSteel - $340 per person for 2 days. Minimum 4 students

Ed Shell at CVT - A HECK of a deal at $200 per person for 2 days, minimum 6 students. If less the price will go up slightly.

Seems like a no brainer to go with Ed.... depending how the timing works out, I should be game for this. Potentially I can get at least one more.

Whats the round count? 200-300 or so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom