• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    If your firearm is a shooter just enjoy the cosmoline. Each time you a shoot a little bit will come out and you can wipe it down with CLR. After a while it won't be so bad. Most important to get the bolt and barrel clean IMO.

I agree with this. Just take an old towel and wipe the stock down as you blast away. I don't mind a little Cosmo in the stock.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

Attachments

• C&R_Group_Purpose.jpg
      C&R_Group_Purpose.jpg
      121.6 KB · Views: 139

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    ooops.

I copy a variant of that for the barrel and receiver.
    I just make sure I can soak half of it and then turn over again. I bought 2 of the big cans of mineral spirits and then run it through a coffee filter in a funnel when putting it back in. All ideas borrowed from others.

BTW mineral spirits and not mineral oil
    No one is constipated.
    Will maybe not ;)

typo. I did say spirits then oil. Damnit. :)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012

Drakos

Outta Control
    Dec 25, 2010
    Brownell's sell's a product called Whiting Compound which was essentially chalk ground to a powder.

AFTER you have done your bulk degreasing, you mix the whiting compound with alcohol and "paint" it on the stock, . It pulls the grease out of the wood and you brush it away.

It typically takes a half a dozen or more applications to clean it sufficiently.

I cannot comment if this is an approved method for the C&R folks...

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I'm not saying that I would do this on something super valuable, but I used mineral spirits and a rag to remove the cosmo on my Chinese Type 56 SKS and my T53. It worked quite well. When I take them to the range on warm days, they still sweat out some cosmo - I keep a rag with me and just wipe it away. Eventually, most of it will sweat out. There's nothing wrong with a little cosmo. I use it as cologne by rubbing my hands on my neck after a range session. I wouldn't put any oil, Danish, Tung, etc. on a milsurp. They don't need it and it will ruin value.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a photo of Abulg somewhere applying his Cosmo.

Oh here it is:

Attachments

• image-807929401.jpg
      image-807929401.jpg
      53.6 KB · Views: 92

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Come on - tell me that you don't get a warm feeling inside when you bring your hands up to your face hours after a range session and smell that cosmo.

I smell my nails several times for hours after a range or de-Cosmo session. Does that count.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    I get mine out like I’m baking chicken.... few pieces of cardboard on the oven tray set temp around 200 and bake her for several hrs.. making sure to flip her around or replace the cardboard if / when needed…

I only do this at our other place.. by the time my other half gets up there I have vented the house

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I wouldn't put any oil, Danish, Tung, etc. on a milsurp. They don't need it and it will ruin value.

It all depends upon the rifle. Stocks of the U.S. Military bolt-action rifles, and then the M1 Garand, were usually hand-rubbed with BLO in the field (if BLO was available). That's why really nice ones tend to have stocks that are darkened, and sometimes have a slight red tint. BLO would oxidize over time.

Some U.S. military stocks were rubbed with Tung oil. I don't think that the military ever used Danish oil.

BTW - the references posted here to my earlier explanation of how to rejuvenate the Sino-Albanian SKS stocks was written specifically for the earliest batches of those rifles that were imported (Summer of 2012, I think). Those earlier rifles appeared to have either been exposed to water, or someone tried to clean them pre-export with a solvent that caused the very little remaining original finish on the stocks to be "milky" or "chalky" looking. The only reason why I advocated using stain on those was to counter-act the chalky appearance while blending the color of those affected areas with the rest of the rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom