• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I spend a good amount of time in SoMd and Northern Neck area of Va.
    Does anyone hunt deer at Chapel Point State Park? I'm looking for a spot close that doesn't require a 1 hr. + drive.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I have hunted chapple point park quite a few times. A few years ago I was hunting turkeys off the upper fields. I scouted out where I wanted hunt and placed some markers. When I went to hunt I saw a guy out in the field and showed him my markers and told him I was going to be a few yards in side the woods.he said ok and walked away as I went to my spot. Short time latter I had turkey gobbling and coming into me. The turkey walked behind me along the field looking for me. I then heard a gun blast and felt the tree I was against shake then the turkey flipping on the ground. Turns out the a.h. that was in the field came back and shot the turkey I called in that wasn't bad enough he knew where I was and still shot. I got up and screamed you almost shot me and started heading to him. I get to the field just in time to see him running away with turkey in his hand.
    I know of several cars vandalize in the lower parking lot and lot of anti hunting propaganda placed around the aera.
    In the past five hunting you whete lucky to find any place to stand. This is why I stopped dove hunting.

Gun season it sounds like a war zone on the state land. I hunt on private farm that backs up to chapple point and have had to chase hunters off the farm I pay to hunt.

What I am saying is use at your own risk a lot of A. Holes use that land, Not all but a lot are.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Thanks for the info. I only plan to bowhunt it during the weekdays. Just wasn't sure if it was worth scouting. I know public lands during gun season and weekends are rough.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I am not trying to discourage you. But during early bow season you have to contend with dove hunters and squirrel hunters if you bow hunt I strongly eurge you to have as much flo orange on as possible. Rember you have to back your stand / blind in and out every day you hunt and can not use an ATV. The lower part has a large hil you have to hike up to get any place and the upper parking you have to walk a long the road to get most places the few trails are not so good.

Outerlimits

Feb 21, 2009
    Port Tobacco/Cape Coral Fl
    Myrtle Grove is only about 15 minutes farther down the road. More land some of the same problems as Chapel Point but a lot more space to work. I know you were looking closer, but Chapel Point has a lot of folks using hunting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom