• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shane762

Jan 2, 2011
    New Market, MD
    So although I posted a few pictures of my new M1 in the CMP thread I figured I'd start a new thread and bore the crap out of everyone with a ton of pictures and minutia.
    I sent my order to the CMP on 12/21 and got my DBU email on 1/15. E-store on 2/5 and my credit card was hit and rifle shipped on 4/30. I had been hoping for a veteran rifle and really afraid that I was going to wind up with a freshly reparkerized post war rifle in a brand new soulless orange CMP birch stock.

What I got was nearly my best case scenario. It's a January 1944 Springfield with original finish (what's left of it). It has a December 1951 Springfield barrel and a Springfield walnut stock. the front hand guard appears to match the stock in every way while the rear hand guard looks more like a WWII example. The bolt is a later Winchester bolt. The trigger assembly is post war Springfield in really great shape except that at some point it was clamped into something that scurfed up the sides of the trigger guard.
    The magazine internals appear to be either late war or post war. The op rod is an IHC in fantastic shape. I may trade out the op rod at some point for a Springfield with a more appropriate finish. The gas cylinder is a saw Cut Springfield piece.
    The rear sight has a WWII sight cover and (maybe) a WWII sight base but he pinion and knobs were replaced. Given the patina on all the parts I think they've been together for a long time. The nub on the elevation knob was worn down and I thought I would have to replace it but after thoroughly cleaning and oiling it it seems to work well now.
    I thought it was interesting that when I tore it down the first time it was filled with crud. Not just cosmoline but actual dirt and grit. It was pretty obvious that the receiver and barrel as well as the magazine mechanisms have been together for a long time.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That is far, far beyond "very nice". That is one of the coolest Garands ever to come whistling down the pike.

Two questions:
    1) What are the barrel numbers on the tag? Muzzle and Throat?
    2) How tight is the lockup?

In any case, I'll swap you two genuine Mosins for it. Ones a hex, the other has a cool wartime stock.

Shane762

Jan 2, 2011
    New Market, MD
    That is far, far beyond "very nice". That is one of the coolest Garands ever to come whistling down the pike.

Two questions:
    1) What are the barrel numbers on the tag? Muzzle and Throat?
    2) How tight is the lockup?

In any case, I'll swap you two genuine Mosins for it. Ones a hex, the other has a cool wartime stock.

Yeah, 2 on the throat and 2 on the muzzle. I got lucky as the crown is in perfect shape. Not a ding to be seen.
    The lock up is very tight. Resistance starts just before the tip of the trigger guard gets to the trigger. The stock is partially bedded. If you look at the picture you can see the bedding compound that the armorer added in cut out areas under the trigger housing assembly. Pretty neat.
    Hmmn, the Mosins are tempting but I'll pass. I'm lazy and they require too much work. All that cocking and loading and trigger pulling. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom