• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Here's something else that's going to blow your guys minds. Not only was that my first shotgun purchase, but my first firearms purchase ever through an FFL back in 2007. The kicker is that I had also bought a Mosin Nagant M44 at the same time, and he allowed me to take that home the same day, it was just the shotgun I had to wait for three days. To me, him asking that question during my PR was a pretty good guess, if it was one. I seem to think there was something a little more to it then just dumb luck guessing by the FFL. Now that I remember he was still on the phone with NICS chatting for a bit when he asked me the question.

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    Lots of reasons but do you really need me to post them all? A "delay" is not a disapproval and that is all that really matters.

I knew that was coming, I changed my post but you beat me to it. It could be 100's of flags in the system they could delay you about, but still approve ya......

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    I knew that was coming, I changed my post but you beat me to it. It could be 100's of flags in the system they could delay you about, but still approve ya......

Sometimes the delay is attributed to the system itself and has nothing to do with the person getting the background check. A common name can also cause a delay.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    Here's something else that's going to blow your guys minds. Not only was that my first shotgun purchase, but my first firearms purchase ever through an FFL back in 2007. The kicker is that I had also bought a Mosin Nagant M44 at the same time, and he allowed me to take that home the same day, it was just the shotgun I had to wait for three days. To me, him asking that question during my PR was a pretty good guess, if it was one. I seem to think there was something a little more to it then just dumb luck guessing by the FFL. Now that I remember he was still on the phone with NICS chatting for a bit when he asked me the question.

He may have wanted to test fire it at the range for you. :lol2: Sorry.... :D

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    It has been my experience with any non-regulated firearm, I am delayed two days & yes, I do provide my SSN and for sure, I don't have a common name. Is it due to my previous clearances, that is a very good question. I just know when I purchase a non-regulated firearm there is a two day delay.

TBI NICS office, delays are caused primarily

...similiarity hits: Your person-ID information sufficiently meets matching criteria to generate a record that is unrelated to you, causing a delay.

...the need for clarification of offenses. An arrest or conviction record in your history may create a firearms disability, but further research into the offense is required. NICS sends a records request to the ORI making the record entry, for further scrutiny.

....GIGO. The system is only as reliable as the information going into it.

Having certain data points return in a NICS query may produce a delay, but is less common. Without going into a lot of detail, when you add certain data to the system, the system itself, or those reviewing the data, would expect to see certain other data accompanying it. If it's missing or a reviewer thinks it's odd, they may flag it and deliver a delay response. The simplest example would be someone who has an FBI number, but no criminal history, nor any accompanying indication of why the number was generated. A reviewer may think that odd. The folks holding security clearances are likely to fit this category.

Not the entirety of possibilities for delays, but this will cover the overwhelming majority.

Bob.Bee

Oct 13, 2012
    Waldorf, MD
    :thumbsup: I can confirm as well...I have yet to have a problem. I too have had a TS with other clearances....if theres a "delay" with NICS its something in the individuals name/social security # combo ie some criminal with the same name etc... not the the security clearance level you have/had. That's just my experience...YMMV:D

My co-worker (VA resident) has this exact issue. He used to always get delayed whenever he bought a gun and put his SSN on the application. He was able to find out that his SSN is also attached to someone else's name, and was told to submit his app without putting his SSN. The LGS and some vendors at the gun show always tell him to put his SSN, but he never does. The NICS check always comes back approved...not delayed, and he always walks away with his purchase right away.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    My co-worker (VA resident) has this exact issue. He used to always get delayed whenever he bought a gun and put his SSN on the application. He was able to find out that his SSN is also attached to someone else's name, and was told to submit his app without putting his SSN. The LGS and some vendors at the gun show always tell him to put his SSN, but he never does. The NICS check always comes back approved...not delayed, and he always walks away with his purchase right away.

:thumbsup: Good example of how the system can bite.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    It's NICS. Yes, depending on the clearance level, it can be delayed due to an active background investigation for a security clearance. It's best to avoid/delay regulated purchases until the clearance is issued, especially since a regulated purchase can affect/delay your clearance. Not a good move if your job depends on having the clearance.

Stupid msp...too late for me. I been waiting for my paperwork to be sent since december. My investigator is finally doing his checks. I have a g23 waiting, paperwork submitted april 19th i believe.

Hah! Will be funny to see if i get my ts/sci before my handgun....wait thats not funny

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    There is not a shred of truth to this. I wont get into how I know but when you go in for a high level clearance, you have to submit fingerprints to the FBI and other information (very detailed info). Why the heck would the government care if you are buying a firearm? They already know what you have, it is irrelevant. Besides federal law requires that the government compile all the required information for a security clearance within 30 days of initiation. It is the sifting through the data and the actual interviews with associates that take so freaking long.

This is correct. I'm a security manager... Not a secret to say so....
    Holding ANY kind of clearance has no bearing on a firearms purchase..end of story.
    Anyone who thinks holding a security clearance has any bearing on a NICS check or state firearms check is mistaken.

The opposite could be true if you spend an inordinate amount of money on firearms or ANYTHING. Meaning if you are having a background investigation any anomalies will flag your investigation for further scrutiny.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    We've seen reports on this board of people who hold very high level clearance being delayed. They are told that due to their clearance, only select people at NICS can view their information.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    We've seen reports on this board of people who hold very high level clearance being delayed. They are told that due to their clearance, only select people at NICS can view their information.

I don't doubt it...but it's noise... A person's security clearance by law is only accessible to those with access to JPAS and then only at certain levels..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom