• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    Anyone ever shoot a match with the New Holland Practical Shooters? Any info would be great for a USPSA newbie. Thx

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i did the geissele gas gun match last month there while they were also running a uspsa match, that seemed pretty heavily attended. i asked a uspsa shooter or two i saw and they said they put on a good match.

if you have any general uspsa match questions, ask away.

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    I’ve done a bunch of reading on it, and shoot lots of steel matches. Figured I’d run it slow and conservative and ask a bunch of questions. I plan on shooting in the Carry Optics with a Glock 34 MOS. Full mags or 10 round limit for Carry Optics? I shoot handloads, not powderpuff, but should I get a chrono to make sure they make Minor? Will one match give me a classification rating? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    I’ve done a bunch of reading on it, and shoot lots of steel matches. Figured I’d run it slow and conservative and ask a bunch of questions. I plan on shooting in the Carry Optics with a Glock 34 MOS. Full mags or 10 round limit for Carry Optics? I shoot handloads, not powderpuff, but should I get a chrono to make sure they make Minor? Will one match give me a classification rating? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

G34 MOS will be fine for Carry Optics. Your holster and mag pouches will need to be positioned behind your hip bones. Your holster must be a standard kydex-type rig, no race holsters allowed. You can not have a magwell or any sort of external weights on your gun. Maximum weight for your gun and an unloaded mag is 45 oz, but you will not have any issues making weight with a polymer frame pistol.

Mags in CO are limited to 140mm in overall length (no specific limit on actual number of rounds)- most people who are willing to spend the money on baseplates, springs, and followers are getting 23 rounds in their mags. Luckily, with Glock, there are a couple manufacturers (ETS, etc) who are making "standard" mags in 140mm length, so you can be up and running for $25, instead of $80 per mag if you shoot CZ, Tanfo, etc.

A chrono is almost mandatory if you are handloading for testing velocity, pressures, etc. That said, at a typical monthly club match (like at New Holland, or any other local match) no one will be running a Chrono. Generally speaking, ammo is chrono'ed at Sectional, Area, and National level championships.

You must shoot 4 Classifiers to get classified. Unless you go specifically to a "Super Classifier" match, as they are called, where all 5-8 stages are classifiers, you will not get a class. Most matches do 1 classifier stage per match, e.g. you'll need to attend 4 matches.

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    Great Info! Thanks. With all that in mind, I should be good to go. How many mags should I have? I have 4 standard 17 round mags right now.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    3 is typically plenty. One in the gun, 2 on your belt, for a total of 65-70 rounds (depending on your exact mags) on your person at the buzzer. USPSA rules dictate the most hits required in a single stage can be 32. No harm in carrying 3 on your belt though, if you think you'll need them. The only downside is a heavier belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom