• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eastwind

Nice!
    May 3, 2020
    I've passed a background check from an FFL with nothing more than my expired license (because of COVID.) Then the other time my license was too expired so I gave him my non-expired passport and expired license. It depends on the dealer TBH. Proof of residency doesn't have to be identification per se. Don't utility bills count?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    also... technically couldnt you have someone else buy it for you? you are not prohibited so it wouldn't be straw man purchase.

That would still be a straw purchase. It comes down to intent.

Now, if the other person pays for the item with their own money, and gifts it to the OP, then that is acceptable.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Dang, my license expires in early October, come to think of it. I need my birth certificate to renew, don't I? I have that, no problem, but I have to make an appointment? As in take off work? That's ridiculous. Sounds like I should get on it. Anything else I need to know?

I'm in the same boat as you. My DL also expires soon and my appointment is for early October, about 10 days after my current DL expires. I plan to drive around with a copy of the appointment letter so that if I get stopped while driving, I can at least try to convince the police officer that I have made an appointment and will get it renewed. The appointments seem to be running about 6 weeks from when you request one. I did not realize that there would such a long wait or else I would have requested one a month ago. This is just a heads-up for others on this site who may need to renew a DL or State issued ID card in the near future.

I was wondering if the appointment wait times in Frederick County would be less after today since Governor Hogan has stated that MD will go to Phase 3 starting today. I figure I will check on Monday to see if the appointment wait times has decreased in the counties that do go to Phase 3.

Cal68

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I have had a passport for 40+ years if some allowed you to purchase a firearm in the past 30+ years they broke federal law. For long guns your drivers license, military ID depending only if the state your in considers you a resident by proxy. A CCW permit both resident and non-resident can be used as it meets the requirements. I heard of some people who have Non-resident CCWs have purchased a pistol outside of MD in the state they have the non-resident CCW. By MD law it is illegal but by the state of purchase it can be legal. For example I have resident CCW in WVA and SC, as I own property in both states. I legally can purchase a pistol in both states by their laws. Will I do it hell no! I would just move from MD and live there.

Rolo

Mar 13, 2019
    Washington county
    Don't know if you know but the one the hospital hands out won't work. You need the one from the court house with the seal on it. Just a FYI.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm in the same boat as you. My DL also expires soon and my appointment is for early October, about 10 days after my current DL expires. I plan to drive around with a copy of the appointment letter so that if I get stopped while driving, I can at least try to convince the police officer that I have made an appointment and will get it renewed. The appointments seem to be running about 6 weeks from when you request one. I did not realize that there would such a long wait or else I would have requested one a month ago. This is just a heads-up for others on this site who may need to renew a DL or State issued ID card in the near future.

I was wondering if the appointment wait times in Frederick County would be less after today since Governor Hogan has stated that MD will go to Phase 3 starting today. I figure I will check on Monday to see if the appointment wait times has decreased in the counties that do go to Phase 3.

Cal68

Just go online and print the executive order that they do not expire until 30 days after the state of emergency has ended.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have had a passport for 40+ years if some allowed you to purchase a firearm in the past 30+ years they broke federal law. For long guns your drivers license, military ID depending only if the state your in considers you a resident by proxy. A CCW permit both resident and non-resident can be used as it meets the requirements. I heard of some people who have Non-resident CCWs have purchased a pistol outside of MD in the state they have the non-resident CCW. By MD law it is illegal but by the state of purchase it can be legal. For example I have resident CCW in WVA and SC, as I own property in both states. I legally can purchase a pistol in both states by their laws. Will I do it hell no! I would just move from MD and live there.

You also need a copy of your PCS orders. In that case, your mil id IS sufficient.

Green is a violation of Federal law, if purchased after. You may ONLY buy a handgun in your state of residence. There are a couple of situations where you could have two states of residence. Mil on PCS orders is one. Full time student and own property in another state. For the last ones, you are a resident of the state you are living in at the time of purchase.

glueru

Lead em to bleed em
    Aug 18, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    yea, I always wait for my license to expire and then go buy firearms..... really?
    Did you forget your birthday? blame yourself, not a FFL who has to follow federal rules.
    The state extension is for being pulled over, not a blanket excuse.
    c'mon man

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    yea, I always wait for my license to expire and then go buy firearms..... really?
    Did you forget your birthday? blame yourself, not a FFL who has to follow federal rules.
    The state extension is for being pulled over, not a blanket excuse.
    c'mon man

I'm fairly certain that anyone renewing a license this year has to get the Real ID version and that requires an in person visit to the DMV. So if your license was set to expire after everythuing got shut down you are SOL until they open back up again.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    I have had a passport for 40+ years if some allowed you to purchase a firearm in the past 30+ years they broke federal law.

Incorrect, a passport can be used in conjuction with another goverment issued document that has your current residence address. (Like a tax bill or car registration)

For long guns your drivers license, military ID depending only if the state your in considers you a resident by proxy. A CCW permit both resident and non-resident can be used as it meets the requirements.

A military ID is in the same boat as a passport and requires supplemental documentation showing the residence.

I heard of some people who have Non-resident CCWs have purchased a pistol outside of MD in the state they have the non-resident CCW. By MD law it is illegal but by the state of purchase it can be legal.

It is Federal, not state, laws that dictate your handguns purchases in the state of residence.

For example I have resident CCW in WVA and SC, as I own property in both states. I legally can purchase a pistol in both states by their laws. Will I do it hell no! I would just move from MD and live there.

Um, NO. You may own property in several states, but federally only one is your state of residence, and the only one you can lawfully purchase a handgun in.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Ok now I am confused a little.

Let's say I own 4 homes in 4 states. Now let's say I live in all 4 during different times of the year. Does this mean I have to pick one and only that one is where I can purchase a handgun?

Sorry, I don't mean to be an idiot.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Let's say I own 4 homes in 4 states. Now let's say I live in all 4 during different times of the year. Does this mean I have to pick one and only that one is where I can purchase a handgun?

No

But you need a photographic ID that has your instate residence, name, birth date, expiration date, and signature to make an instate purchase of a handgun. Most states (again, not maryland. Oh wait, that is the HQL by itself) accept a resident concealed carry permit, because it has the 5 data points on it.

Now, If you bring the handgun into Maryland, you need to register it with the Maryland State Police.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg

According to federal law, Yes.

Whatever address for which you have a Driver License, is the address that federal law states you can purchase a handgun.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

It will be the one you claim as residence provided your live there enough days to claim residence there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom