• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The first several rounds bring up the heat in the barrel. More with each round. Then, you will reach an equilibrium of shooting versus cooling.

So without a round robin, the first group will be shot with a barrel that is changing temp.

I shot my OCW in my .308 with 1 minute between shots.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    The first several rounds bring up the heat in the barrel. More with each round. Then, you will reach an equilibrium of shooting versus cooling.

So without a round robin, the first group will be shot with a barrel that is changing temp.

I shot my OCW in my .308 with 1 minute between shots.

That was a good explanation on the coming to balance of heat/cool via the equilibrium point. HOWEVER... how at a public range where you have a cease fire every 30 minutes which takes 3-5 minutes leaving you with 25 minutes max. You're looking at 25 shots, call it 23 for variables.

That gives us 4 1/2 sets (call it 4) charge weights to test assuming a 5 shot charge. Even at 3 rounds per charge, you only get 7 sets in at best.

I'm not sure how to balance this while getting all the shots needed in the time span other than to do one charge per cease fire. Still one shot per minute but then allowing the rest of the ceasefire (15-20 minutes) to cool the barrel for the next set. Therefore, giving all sets the same value for the variable.

A heat gun would also fix the delima but... i haven't looked into how much those cost.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    That was a good explanation on the coming to balance of heat/cool via the equilibrium point. HOWEVER... how at a public range where you have a cease fire every 30 minutes which takes 3-5 minutes leaving you with 25 minutes max. You're looking at 25 shots, call it 23 for variables.

That gives us 4 1/2 sets (call it 4) charge weights to test assuming a 5 shot charge. Even at 3 rounds per charge, you only get 7 sets in at best.

I'm not sure how to balance this while getting all the shots needed in the time span other than to do one charge per cease fire. Still one shot per minute but then allowing the rest of the ceasefire (15-20 minutes) to cool the barrel for the next set. Therefore, giving all sets the same value for the variable.

A heat gun would also fix the delima but... i haven't looked into how much those cost.

When I do my testing, I typically shoot them on a hot barrel, but my end purpose is always on a hot barrel.

Maybe look at cooling the barrel faster than heating it? Check out barrelcool….its an ECI(empty flag indicator) that has a fan built into it. It cools the barrel from the inside out and much faster. Best $40 I ever spent. Takes CR123 batteries, who doesn't have a billon of those for all the tactical flash lights etc.

http://barrelcool.com/product-category/barrelcool/

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    When I do my testing, I typically shoot them on a hot barrel, but my end purpose is always on a hot barrel.

Maybe look at cooling the barrel faster than heating it? Check out barrelcool….its an ECI(empty flag indicator) that has a fan built into it. It cools the barrel from the inside out and much faster. Best $40 I ever spent. Takes CR123 batteries, who doesn't have a billon of those for all the tactical flash lights etc.

http://barrelcool.com/product-category/barrelcool/

i LOVE the idea of a fan cooling ECI. NICE!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ever wonder why you reloaded and picked the tightest group, then come back another day and its not tight?
    OCW looks to make things more consistent to variables that you can't control. At least that is what I read it to do.

I went through OCW a few times and triangulated the POI and plotted it all out and yup, you see that swing. (My last one I recall was low right to high left).
    I picked a load in the middle of the swing and done.

http://www.ocwreloading.com/about.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom