• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The cartridge hasn't changed either. The gun will change when the cartridge and projectile change. We're not shooting lasers, phasers, or blasters yet.

I see most modern "new" cartridges as gimmicks.

.357 Sig, .45 GAP, the list goes on. No developments, just a way to sell more bullets/magazines/guns. Answers seeking questions if you will.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I'm surprised no-one has even noticed the new 7.5 by BRNO. Just a re-vamp of the old hot 7.62x25 Tokarev round, except now ever hotter and with a couple innovations to the slide and receiver for recoil control. I also like the sight options.

http://www.fkbrno.com/en/7-5-fk-system

I had never seen that before, and it looks really badass. Like a 1911, a SIG P210, and a CZ had a weird three way love child that popped out and grew up into a barrel chested bruiser.

Also, what's up with that recoil system? Is that basically just a big weight strapped around the front of the mainspring rod?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    The Canik TP9 series is interesting. They're very cheap and have good reviews so far. I've been meaning to pick up a used one since I keep seeing them around $275 or less.

I've bought three Caniks - impressed with all of them, but liked the Stingray C most of the lot. My handgun of choice is the Sig P210, but I don't have to carry it every day for work. I'd probably be more attracted to Glocks if I had one on my belt all day.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Surprised no one has mentioned the Remington R51...
    that got a lot of people excited.
    until they got one.

I was pissing myself to get one for my wife. Finally, big GS not too far away called and said they had gotten mine in, and one other, but I wasn't going to like it. They were right. They sent both of them back.

Still ... I'll be looking for new CZ.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Putting cart & horse into sequence, metal cased handgun ammunition is darn near mature technology, from mfg viewpoint , and from fulfilling performance needs, within ergonomic envelopes and the laws of physics.

Seen many Gyrojets lately ? Only slightly more likely to have ever seen a caseless H&K .

The potential area of more or less viable innovation would be in sintered projectiles, to "maybe" be able to seriously high velocities combined with particular shapes to push the size/ energy/ recoil envelope meaningfully beyond conventional ammo. So far testing and reviews ( vs advertising hype ) are discussing being kinda similar in terminal effect to average conventional ammo with less recoil. Eh . But throwing ideas out, imagine a .25acp with 1500 fps, subcompact 9mm-ish with half the recoil, a .50cal with 9mm recoil ? If somthing like those were to come to fruition, they would be meaningfully different.

The linked BRNO is actually interesting To Me, since I like things like .32-20 and .32Mag . But look at the specs. Basically it is .30Carbine rifle ballistics from a single shot pistol, the size of a full size semiauto. I like it, but I'm wierd in some of my firearm tastes. Absent a legal climate limiting civillians to single shots .32 and smaller, it would be lucky to achieve the market success of the Ruger Hawkeye.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The linked BRNO is actually interesting To Me, since I like things like .32-20 and .32Mag . But look at the specs. Basically it is .30Carbine rifle ballistics from a single shot pistol, the size of a full size semiauto. .

It's not a single shot. It IS a magazine fed semiauto. 14+1 magazine capacity.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    someone will say "its a Taurus" and most will grumble to agree. I have shot the curve and it's a great point shooting pistol. I like the PT709 Slim as well, they are glockesque; however, they are more purpose built for self defense and female shooters.

As a lefty, the Curve has no appeal to me, although I wouldn't want a gun that was designed for one hand, because you might not always be able to shoot from that side. I have the PT740 Slim. I agree with you about the PT7xx design being propose driven. In hindsight, I would have gotten the 709 or even the 738. I was going through my one-hand, two-hand, left and right drills with the 740 last week. That puppy torques a lot with a one hand shot. 40 S&W is a bit snappy for a one pound gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    5.7x28 is an innovation. The round was developed by starting with the terminal ballistics, then backwards to the cartridge to deliver the bullet within the desired parameters.

And you got to love a 20 round, non-extended magazine. :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I agree that the Sig P250/320 handguns are the biggest new technological development since the Glock.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    5.7x28 is an innovation. The round was developed by starting with the terminal ballistics, then backwards to the cartridge to deliver the bullet within the desired parameters.

And you got to love a 20 round, non-extended magazine. :)

I was reading up on it last night. I like the fact that it is the product of mission-driven design. Surprising to me is the fact it has been around for 26 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    In the last decade the crown should go to the FNX 45 Tactical. Sure its a plastic fantastic, but its a plastic fantastic with 15+1 rounds of .45ACP with a threaded barrel and an optics-ready slide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom