• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    So we wait 7 to 9 days depending on the weekend or holiday?? I think its nice there are dealers willing to release them. Many wait until the MSP is done their review regardless of the time they take.

We do 8th day releases - or 9th possibly 10th day now. I don't really know anymore.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I've kind of always understood it this way. But the clarification does clear one thing up. They mention the 7th day being Sunday if paperwork was done on a monday.
    I've experienced two things. Paperwork Wednesday, pick up Wednesday. Or paperwork Wednesday, pick up Thursday. This new msp letter makes it quite clear the it should actually be paperwork wednesday, pickup tuesday.

;)

I've experienced this several times and was pleasantly surprised. Done paper work on a Wed and told I could pick up Tues. That is if they faxed it in the same day.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When I did our dealer orientation 3 years ago, it was explained to me by MSP that if you do paperwork on Monday, you pick up on the following Monday. We've submitted thousands of applications since we opened with all of them being that way. Apparently, I was told incorrectly by a Corporal from MSP... LOL

--Chuck

AFAIK, you are doing it right.

If the 7ty day fell ON Sunday, then you would have to wait until Monday to release. So you sell on Monday, and submit paperwork the same day. 7th Day is Sunday, so you release on Monday.

If Monday is a holiday, you wait until Tuesday.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    AFAIK, you are doing it right.

If the 7ty day fell ON Sunday, then you would have to wait until Monday to release. So you sell on Monday, and submit paperwork the same day. 7th Day is Sunday, so you release on Monday.

If Monday is a holiday, you wait until Tuesday.

We've done tons of 77R on Mondays and released the following Monday. They've never said anything directly to us about it.

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    heh just did a ftf transfer of a handgun at an MSP station late December. 7 days went by and neither of us had heard anything and they had given us the paperwork copies as they dont hold them anymore. So the guy and I transfered the pistol after the waiting time.
    Just this week I get a call from MSP saying there was a mistake on the form and it needed fixed. I told her we had already transfered the pistol and I was not even in the state for the next three months.. That was when she told me the MSP office had not even received the paperwork until the 12th of Jan, while the guy and I had done our transfer on the 5th. LOL There is a time line for you. Luckily MSP is working with the guy and I to get the paperwork straight lol.

DaytonaGreg

Apr 14, 2014
    Severn, MD
    Waiting until 7th day

Waiting until 6am on 7th day:
    When I bought my first gun at 2pm one day (midweek) I was notified on 6am on the 7th day.
    When I finalised a purchase at 7:28pm on a Tuesday I was notified on 6am on the 8th day.
    I’m a software developer and I can tell they’ve got a workflow system set up to send an automated email on day 7 (purchase + 7 days), but I think sometimes your purchase doesn’t get into their MDSP workflow system until the next day. It seems like they try to balance things by letting you pickup first thing on day 7 (auto emailed at 6am, which is not a full 7 days on the hour. Said differently, if you bought a gun at 2pm, you can most times pick it up on the 7th day, early, at 10am when they open, instead of waiting til 2pm on the 7th day).
    It’s still idiotic you have to wait, need an HQL, etc, etc. #2A

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Waiting until 6am on 7th day:
    When I bought my first gun at 2pm one day (midweek) I was notified on 6am on the 7th day.
    When I finalised a purchase at 7:28pm on a Tuesday I was notified on 6am on the 8th day.
    I’m a software developer and I can tell they’ve got a workflow system set up to send an automated email on day 7 (purchase + 7 days), but I think sometimes your purchase doesn’t get into their MDSP workflow system until the next day. It seems like they try to balance things by letting you pickup first thing on day 7 (auto emailed at 6am, which is not a full 7 days on the hour. Said differently, if you bought a gun at 2pm, you can most times pick it up on the 7th day, early, at 10am when they open, instead of waiting til 2pm on the 7th day).
    It’s still idiotic you have to wait, need an HQL, etc, etc. #2A

It's always a 7-day waiting period no matter what time of the day the application gets submitted. You always get the "Not Disapproved" email on the 8th day (not always the 8th calendar day). The change happens when your 7th day falls on a Sunday or a holiday, then it doesn't count and you get bumped a day. For example:

- you buy a handgun on a Tuesday (1st day) and the following Monday (7th day) is not a holiday, you get the email confirmation on the following Tuesday (8th day).

- you buy a gun on a Monday (1st day), therefore Sunday would be your 7th day (doesn't count), so Monday becomes your 7th day and Tuesday becomes your 8th day

When holidays fall on Mondays, and you buy a gun the Monday before, you have to wait until Wednesday (Sunday doesn't count, Monday doesn't count, so Tuesday becomes your 7th day and Wednesday becomes the 8th day).

You can thank Brian Frosh for this whole mess, not MSP. The law reads "the applicant may retrieve their handgun on the 8th day". It says absolutely nothing about Sundays and holidays. Brian Frosh has overstepped his bounds, yet again, and "interpreted" Maryland law to be something more restrictive than it is - go figure.

Chuck

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    What was the seven day waiting period for ( Cooling Off ?) stupid if I already have multiple guns in storage .

It was never about "cooling off." It was to allow the authorities to conduct the background checks in a time where fax machines were still fairly novel ideas. Now that checks can be performed all but instantly, scanning more information in minutes than was possible to sort through in a week, the waiting period is even more ridiculous than it was when first enacted.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The original defense of the waiting period was "because paperwork takes time"

The current defense is "because cooling off period." It has never really been about anything except putting up barriers to gun ownership, period. Whatever "defense" they have is an excuse and when the defense fails they will find a different one.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    It was never about "cooling off." It was to allow the authorities to conduct the background checks in a time where fax machines were still fairly novel ideas. Now that checks can be performed all but instantly, scanning more information in minutes than was possible to sort through in a week, the waiting period is even more ridiculous than it was when first enacted.

The original defense of the waiting period was "because paperwork takes time"

The current defense is "because cooling off period." It has never really been about anything except putting up barriers to gun ownership, period. Whatever "defense" they have is an excuse and when the defense fails they will find a different one.

I agree with both of you gentlemen , they use it as some negative function because they hate us even when we are not the problem .

The lies , the misdirection and hatred you can cut with a knife from the other side . They are the hateful ones .

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I agree with both of you gentlemen , they use it as some negative function because they hate us even when we are not the problem .

The lies , the misdirection and hatred you can cut with a knife from the other side . They are the hateful ones .

Legislators do not hate us. They only care about 1 thing - getting re-elected. If making Maryland a shall issue state would guarantee they would have their jobs for life, they would do it.

Look at the rain tax. They put it in and when Hogan removed the mandate, they all said it was a horrible piece of legislation. Simply because they felt it was good for their re-election.

Chuck

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Legislators do not hate us. They only care about 1 thing - getting re-elected. If making Maryland a shall issue state would guarantee they would have their jobs for life, they would do it.

Look at the rain tax. They put it in and when Hogan removed the mandate, they all said it was a horrible piece of legislation. Simply because they felt it was good for their re-election.

Chuck

I understand they do it for a political means , but it is very popular to hate gun owners and blame us when known criminals repeat and repeat their crimes .

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I understand they do it for a political means , but it is very popular to hate gun owners and blame us when known criminals repeat and repeat their crimes .

It’s what happens when you can’t blame the person who committed the crime. Look at how all Muslims get blamed for a few terrorists, or the Catholic religion gets blamed for a few molesting priests. It easy to blame an entire group of people than to hate an individual person.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It’s what happens when you can’t blame the person who committed the crime. Look at how all Muslims get blamed for a few terrorists, or the Catholic religion gets blamed for a few molesting priests. It easy to blame an entire group of people than to hate an individual person.

Legislators CAN blame the person who commits a crime, but they've proven over and over they are unwilling to do so.
    When they say we are terrorists, nut cases, whackos or whatever else, and call for disarming us, make no mistake they hate us.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Legislators CAN blame the person who commits a crime, but they've proven over and over they are unwilling to do so.

When they say we are terrorists, nut cases, whackos or whatever else, and call for disarming us, make no mistake they hate us.

You’ve been programmed to believe the liberal left hates you, just as they have been programmed to believe you as a gun owner are the cancer of the world. Neither side wants gun violence, and both sides are incapable of listening to the other side to solve the problem. Talk to liberals and let them know you are just another nobody like they are. None of us are special and we all put our pants on one leg at a time. You’d be surprised at how well things go when you put aside someone else’s way of thinking and create your own.

Chuck

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In recent decades the spin has all been about completing the background , but that's revisionist . That's not what it was about in 1966 .

It was all about * Cooling Off * . Go read the entire Bill File in Annapolis , all the testimony and debate was about Cooling Off Period . Read the contemporary news coverage was all about Cooling Off to prevent crimes of passion . For that matter, Cooling Off Periods were the major themes of the gun debate nationally in that era .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom