hunting season is almost here.. where to get deer corns??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Baiting is legal on PRIVATE property not public. Just fyi. ;)

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Try this place.

Hatchers Feed & Farm Supply
    140 Thanksgiving Ln, Huntingtown, MD (410) 257-1660

They are behind the old post office in Huntingtown. It is where I got my last deer corn but I can't remember what I paid. Give them a call.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Try this place.

Hatchers Feed & Farm Supply
    140 Thanksgiving Ln, Huntingtown, MD (410) 257-1660

They are behind the old post office in Huntingtown. It is where I got my last deer corn but I can't remember what I paid. Give them a call.
    thats close to me.. may have to call them.. thanks!:thumbsup:

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Stauffers feed barn in loveville if you're ever on the SMC side of the bridge. Theyre amish though so you can't exactly call to make sure theyre open. But I get my corn there and I think last year a 100 pound bag was 9 or 10 bucks

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    Amish feed mill in Ryceville rt 5 to Mechanicsville rd. ~3 or 4 miles on the left. Big sawmill is on the right. Both of them have Saturday hours ~ 8 -12. Last season was 8.5/100 bag.

somddude

Has a big Member
    Mar 14, 2010
    Brandywine, Marylandistan
    Amish feed mill in Ryceville rt 5 to Mechanicsville rd. ~3 or 4 miles on the left. Big sawmill is on the right. Both of them have Saturday hours ~ 8 -12. Last season was 8.5/100 bag.

This is the place my co-worker gets it. Probably too far for you, Lx1x. The savings wouldn't make up for the extra gas you'd use. That is, unless you're buying it by the ton.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    This is the place my co-worker gets it. Probably too far for you, Lx1x. The savings wouldn't make up for the extra gas you'd use. That is, unless you're buying it by the ton.

if its worth the drive.. i dont mind. the property my club lease is at nanjemoy, at least that will give you some idea how much i drive during the hunting season.. ;)

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    if its worth the drive.. i dont mind. the property my club lease is at nanjemoy, at least that will give you some idea how much i drive during the hunting season.. ;)

I can pick it up for you lx1x I live wright around the corner from there and meet you at MG some time.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    You're too quick for me, i meant to post in this thread, relevent to the conversation.

is all good.. :thumbsup:

i replied and as soon it refreshed.. your post dissappeared... thought to myself.. was i talking to myself or something.. :innocent0

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Wal Mart in La Plata had the 40 pound bags of Remington for $9.85 !!!! That's a $3.00 increase over the same item from last year. The deer will feed themselves at that price. Tractor Supply in White Plains has it for $9.xx 50/ pound. I found a contact for bulk this year and the 55 gallon drums are adding up in the garage already.... no bags this year. Call a corn farmer and pay him twice what he gets for it from the market, you'll both appreciate the price.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    just found stauffers.. they are open 8-5 during saturdays... 50lbs selling for $8.70. they have water damaged corns that has been roasted for $5 and some change.

nice people.. :thumbsup:

edit.. drove pass accurate.. surprised to see the open sign. no cars in front so i thought they probably forgot to turn it off. as soon i drove by.. saw a guy by the windows... was going to stop but it may be dangerous.. im currently broke.. lol

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Here's a tip. If you can locate a farm that has corn planted this year, make your best effort to locate the property owner or the farmer himself, most lands in Southern Maryland are leased by a farmer from the property owner, so, you might have to dig a little to find the farmer, he's just paying the property tax for the land owner.

Most of the farmers I know are more than willing to charge you double what they get from the people they sell to out of state, and when you get charged double, be happy, it's still half the price you pay for pre-bagged corn. Last year 8 out of 10 farmers planted Sorghum, this year they are hardcore on corn, mostly due to the Sorghum price flop at the time of harvesting.

If you make the effort to contact the farmer and explain to him you want to buy several hundred pounds, he will be your shining star this year. Even if he charges you triple the standard rate he would get from his other buyer, you'll both be better off.

The current local market rate for #2 Yellow Corn (feed grain / biodiesel use) is @ $2.00 / bushel (56 lbs) so if you get charged double, that's only @$4.00 for 56 pounds, this beats the bagged rate of $8.00-9.00 for a 40 or 50 pound bag. See the advantage in the math? I think 112 pounds of corn for $8.00 is a much better deal.

See, when you buy a 50 pound bag of corn for $9.00 you are actually paying for $3.00 worth of corn and $6.00 worth of ink on the bag and the Deer don't eat the bag, even though it might be printed with Soybean inks.

There's about 6 bushels of corn in a 55 gallon drum, so, at +/- $24.00 a drum (336 pounds of corn) you bet it makes sense to find a farmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom