• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    I have found someone who is selling a "64" model 70. How does one tell whether it is the early model 70 or the later 64 version?

Thanks

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Are you asking how to tell the difference between a pre-'64 and a post-'64?

The pre-'64 Model 70 has a Mauser-type three-position safety, controlled round feed, positive extraction, cut checkering, forged steel parts, excellent fit and finish, and is generally a very well-made gun. Then the "quantity over quality" bean counters took over at Winchester, and to save money they dropped the controlled round feed and positive extraction, used stamped parts, changed the slim, graceful stock to a club with pressed checkering and an aluminum trigger guard, and committed other outrages.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I don't claim to be an expert on the matter, but the pre-64 has a Mauser style claw extractor. The post-64 does not, until Winchester reintroduced a modified controlled feed design sometime back in the late '90s if I remember correctly. Also, the older guns will have what is obvious to the eye to be hand cut checkering versus stamped by machine checkering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom