• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nebula8080

Dec 30, 2007
    OK nice forum area. I have a trust..which I will be using for a SBS. I'm more interested however in how the SBR process works... Specifically, do I register just the receiver or --? Also once I have the accepted tax stamp do I use that to buy the upper or --?

The only reason I'm going through the SBS process is to make a collectible firearm into true mil specs (M4/M1014) and be in compliance of the law. Since I've gone through the process of a trust, I'd at least like to know how to do the SBR route.

Thanks

Last edited:

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    OK nice forum area. I have a trust..which I will be using for a SBS. I'm more interested however in how the SBR process works... Specifically, do I register just the receiver or --? Also once I have the accepted tax stamp do I use that to buy the upper or --?

The only reason I'm going through the SBS process is to make a collectible firearm into true military state (M4/M1014) and be in compliance of the law. Since I've gone through the process of a trust, I'd at least like to know how to do the SBR route.

Thanks

KRB

The SBR process is pretty easy. Go to www.titleii.com and fill out the PDF file Form 1, make sure you print out pages 1&2 on one sheet of paper, ATF will return it other wise.

The receiver need to be engraved 1/16 high and .003" deep with your name city and state.

You do not need the stamp to buy the upper, but you don't want to have the upper in the same location as the receiver before you have the stamp. ATF can call that constructive intent. Not good!

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Hey Jeep,

I know the receiver has to be engraved but what about the actual barrel?

No marking required on the barrel.

The reciever is the registered part with the serial number on the Form 1. The barrel is only a part of the gun.

The form 1 ask for the barrel length, but does not require anything else.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    No marking required on the barrel.

The reciever is the registered part with the serial number on the Form 1. The barrel is only a part of the gun.

The form 1 ask for the barrel length, but does not require anything else.

Okay so answer me this then.

Say I have two AR-15's and a spare upper. One AR-15 (AR-15{1}) has a tax stamp and is marked as an SBR with a 14" barrel. Can I put an upper (spare upper) that is 16" on the SBR lower (AR-15{1})? If so, while the actual SBR upper (AR-15{1}) is not on the lower (AR-15{1}) can't that be considered as possible manufacture of a SBR rifle since my other lower (AR-15{2}) is not a registered SBR lower? Can't it still be considered manufacturing an unregistered SBR, even if I don't put the 14" barrel on the lower (AR-15{2})?

I hope that's not TOO complicated.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Okay so answer me this then.

Say I have two AR-15's and a spare upper. One AR-15 (AR-15{1}) has a tax stamp and is marked as an SBR with a 14" barrel. Can I put an upper (spare upper) that is 16" on the SBR lower (AR-15{1})? If so, while the actual SBR upper (AR-15{1}) is not on the lower (AR-15{1}) can't that be considered as possible manufacture of a SBR rifle since my other lower (AR-15{2}) is not a registered SBR lower? Can't it still be considered manufacturing an unregistered SBR, even if I don't put the 14" barrel on the lower (AR-15{2})?

I hope that's not TOO complicated.

Yes.

You can use the non-nfa length uppers on NFA lowers.

Having a NFA upper laying around want non-NFA lowers is a grey area.

ATF can call that constructive intent. But if you have 1 SBR lower and only 1 NFA length upper you should be OK(even if it's off the gun and you have other lowers. You still have enought parts to build only 1 NFA gun). It gets grey when you have 2 short uppers and 1 SBR lower, and other non-SBR lowers. It would be better if all the guns were built, and you didn't have any lowers laying around w/o uppers on them.

I'm slowly registering all mine, just to avoid any issues. And to keep them transferable in the event of a Califirnia style ban on either the state or federal level.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    You don't have to put your name on the gun, but it's recommended. I have done a SBR for a WWII Machine gun I converted / rebuilt into Semi Auto and I used the original Serial Number. Never had a problem with that. What they do say as a sugestion is to put your initials infront of the original serial number aka Serial 123456 would be lets say our name is Harry No Name it would be HNN-123456.

Jeepdriver,

My understanding is that if you put "multiple" on the Form 4 under barrel length and "various" (or list 5.56, 7.62x39, 300 Whisper, 9mm, 45 ACP, etc.) under caiber then you are in pretty good shape with ATF. I've also heard of the NFA Branch disapproving the form 4 if you do this, so I think it depends pretty much what the individual inspector says and that tactic may not be the final answer. Have you had experiences with this?

Joe

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Jeepdriver,

My understanding is that if you put "multiple" on the Form 4 under barrel length and "various" (or list 5.56, 7.62x39, 300 Whisper, 9mm, 45 ACP, etc.) under caiber then you are in pretty good shape with ATF. I've also heard of the NFA Branch disapproving the form 4 if you do this, so I think it depends pretty much what the individual inspector says and that tactic may not be the final answer. Have you had experiences with this?

Joe

You can do multi on the caliber, not the barrel length.

ATF now wants the barrel length on the form1/4. The use to approve n/a in that box, and will if it is on the origional form for a form 4 transfer, but for new production stuff, they want barrel length.

You can send in a letter after you get the approval and state you want to use different length barrels and additional calibers, and then ATF will send back a letter stating that your NFA file has been ammended to reflect the different calibers and lengths.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    You don't have to put your name on the gun, but it's recommended. I have done a SBR for a WWII Machine gun I converted / rebuilt into Semi Auto and I used the original Serial Number. Never had a problem with that. What they do say as a sugestion is to put your initials infront of the original serial number aka Serial 123456 would be lets say our name is Harry No Name it would be HNN-123456.

ATF want's Name, City and State.

You are the manufacturer when you file a form 1. All origional markings must be on there, as well as your information.

ATf has clarified that recently. I'll have to dig up that ruleing.

Last edited:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The name, state and date thing is to show the date and place of manufacture, correct. So, if you move to another state, it's not as if you have to have it redone?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    The name, state and date thing is to show the date and place of manufacture, correct. So, if you move to another state, it's not as if you have to have it redone?

No date. Just Name City & State .

If you move to another state, the place of manufacturer does not change.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    No date. Just Name City & State .

If you move to another state, the place of manufacturer does not change.

Makes sense.

This sub-forum promises to get very expensive.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Yes.

You can use the non-nfa length uppers on NFA lowers.

Having a NFA upper laying around want non-NFA lowers is a grey area.

ATF can call that constructive intent. But if you have 1 SBR lower and only 1 NFA length upper you should be OK(even if it's off the gun and you have other lowers. You still have enought parts to build only 1 NFA gun). It gets grey when you have 2 short uppers and 1 SBR lower, and other non-SBR lowers. It would be better if all the guns were built, and you didn't have any lowers laying around w/o uppers on them.

I'm slowly registering all mine, just to avoid any issues. And to keep them transferable in the event of a Califirnia style ban on either the state or federal level.

Thanks Jeep. That's about what I had thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom