photo-3.PNG

photo-4.PNG

photo-5.PNG

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    the Summit Seat-O-The-Pants.

Thanks for the thread, my fiance hates when I spend money, but when I told her I was investing in a harness so I don't fall out of the tree and die she was happy.

Quick question do you guys hook the harness up and climb with it?

thats what i have... the summit seat-o-pants.. love the rope part ... its easy to wrap around the tree than the straps..

in a climber yeah...a ladder stand no...
    i do it on the ladder stand.. i just rap around the latter pass the cross brace.. it just slides up w/ it.. if i fall.. i would atleast just slide down the step not totally fall off it..

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    When it happens it happens so quickly, almost like in the movies in s l o w motion. Heal well and quickly.

yup.. sure does.. as soon he landed.. so many things ran in his head.. it could have been worst.. him falling directly on his head.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    If i recall correctly, the majority of accidental injuries related to hunting have to do with falls fro treestands - please ALWAYS wear a safety harness, it's a cheap investment in your long-term well-being.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Hunter Dies from Fall in Harford County
    (September 16, 2010)

1900 block of Franklin Church Road in Darlington, Md.
    Paul Joseph Kemper Jr., 55, of York, Pa. was bow hunting for deer when he fell out of his tree stand which was 25 feet off the ground.

Resources Police (NRP)

RIP :(

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    The hard landing hurts, the hard landing on your bow, broadheads or knife hurt even more :(. Also, always make sure somebody knows the exact location of your stand, use GPS coordinates or mark it on google maps. If the whole stand breaks from underneath you you'll be left dangling for a very long time if nobody comes to help you get down.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I came home with a brand new ladder stand last night. It's a Comfort Zone Lookout 15 footer and I paid $49.98 for it with the in-store rebate, excellent stand and I like the new upgrades on this one compared to my older model one.

This one has a larger platform with a larger seat and the bars from the seat to the downturn of the ladder bar is angled instead of bent at a 90 degree, much easier on the knee bones. They now come with the square tube sleeves that fit over the joints where the sections come together offering better support for the joints so the ladder doesn't give at all. I also like the new center support brace, it's now slide adjustable and longer than the older models which were too short and had the push in click holes every 6 inches. I always install the brace in the middle of the second section anyway.

2 thumbs up on this stand and the new upgrades they have done since I bought my last one about 5 years ago. This is my third ladder stand and I am seriously thinking about going back to get another one.

• 15' height to seat platform
    • 18"x12" steel mesh foot platform
    • Slanted design of hand rail allows more knee room while sitting
    • 18"x12" Real Tree AP camouflage seat cushion
    • Non-glare black sand finish
    • Adjustable ladder stabilizing brace provides additional support
    • Three, 5' ladder sections

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    For those who have met me they know that I am no little feller. I'm 6'2" 345. I use a summit goliath tree stand and the seat of the pants harness both rated for my fat arse. Two years ago I was in my tree stand 30 to 35 feet up. At the end of the day just after dark I was climbing down. The lower section of the stand slipped on the tree bark. I did not have the best grip on the top half and fell. The harness saved my but. It was not the most comfortable thing to do but I'll take the brusies. Heres the key, wearing the harness only when you are set in the stand will not save you if you fall while climbing up or down the tree and you are not using your harness. This also goes for those using ladder stands. Invest in a retractable lanyard system that will follow you down the tree. You attach the lanyard to the ladder so it is there to hook up to it for the next climb up. Remember that 100% tie off is the key. More people are injured or killed in tree stand accidents than by firearms while hunting. Be safe and good luck hunting. Mdeng

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    For those who have met me they know that I am no little feller. I'm 6'2" 345. I use a summit goliath tree stand and the seat of the pants harness both rated for my fat arse. Two years ago I was in my tree stand 30 to 35 feet up. At the end of the day just after dark I was climbing down. The lower section of the stand slipped on the tree bark. I did not have the best grip on the top half and fell. The harness saved my but. It was not the most comfortable thing to do but I'll take the brusies. Heres the key, wearing the harness only when you are set in the stand will not save you if you fall while climbing up or down the tree and you are not using your harness. This also goes for those using ladder stands. Invest in a retractable lanyard system that will follow you down the tree. You attach the lanyard to the ladder so it is there to hook up to it for the next climb up. Remember that 100% tie off is the key. More people are injured or killed in tree stand accidents than by firearms while hunting. Be safe and good luck hunting. Mdeng

did you have a rope holding the bottom flatform to the seat portion? lots of new stand doesnt have that.. if the bottom piece comes loose you can still manage to hoist it up.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's

great info...and on top of that, most tree stand accidents happen while climbing up or down the tree...not while sitting.
    Be safe, wear a safety system.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Speaking of harnesses, I have a full body harness, brand new and it's made really well. It came with the new stand I just bought and if anyone needs one, send me a few bucks for shipping and it's all yours. I'm in Indian Head, so, if you want to pass on the postage and pick it up, let me know, we'll work it out.

With that said, I am taking an 8 pointer to the taxidermy shop and then hanging up my Gone Huntin' sign and I'll be back around 8PM.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Speaking of harnesses, I have a full body harness, brand new and it's made really well. It came with the new stand I just bought and if anyone needs one, send me a few bucks for shipping and it's all yours. I'm in Indian Head, so, if you want to pass on the postage and pick it up, let me know, we'll work it out.

With that said, I am taking an 8 pointer to the taxidermy shop and then hanging up my Gone Huntin' sign and I'll be back around 8PM.

:needpics:

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I just picked up the Hunters Safety System Pro Series from Cabelas this past weekend. Well worth the price I paid. Aside from the harness it came with a linemans climbing strap and a deer drag (both hook directly into harness). It is very high quality and comfortable/easy to use. I highly recommend this system to my brothers at MDS.

-Z

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I just picked up the Hunters Safety System Pro Series from Cabelas this past weekend. Well worth the price I paid. Aside from the harness it came with a linemans climbing strap and a deer drag (both hook directly into harness). It is very high quality and comfortable/easy to use. I highly recommend this system to my brothers at MDS.

-Z

Is that the one you can repel down to the ground if you do fall and catch yourself? I saw something advertised on one of the Versus hunting shows and thought that was a pretty slick contraption.

At least with that you're not stuck there dangling from the tree flapping in the wind yelling, I'm up and I can't get down !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom