• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Anyone had success with spring turkey on public land?

I've hunted plenty out of state, I was wondering if we had any serious turkey slayers among us.

I would guess that western counties are best - yes/no?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

I've hunted plenty out of state, I was wondering if we had any serious turkey slayers among us.

Biggest harvests for the last 7 years has been in counties on the eastern shore.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA

just make sure you take every precaution to not get shot...a lot of idiots stalk turkey in the spring :sad20:

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    There are about 20 or so that come through my backyard regularly from the woods. I'm going to be redy for them. I've got my 150 yards paced out.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Streetgang: Lucky you with land and all - I'm guessing you don't need any help with them...

WSM: Does anyone have success stalking out here? Where I am from turkey hunting is a post up, camo up, and try to call them in proposition, unless you know where their roost tree is, then just go there before they fly down.
    Any other methods of success around here?

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    There are about 20 or so that come through my backyard regularly from the woods. I'm going to be redy for them. I've got my 150 yards paced out.

put a sign out at 150 and I'm sure you won't have any problems :D

haha, for a minute I was confused about which turkeys you were talking about

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Streetgang: Lucky you with land and all - I'm guessing you don't need any help with them...

WSM: Does anyone have success stalking out here? Where I am from turkey hunting is a post up, camo up, and try to call them in proposition, unless you know where their roost tree is, then just go there before they fly down.
    Any other methods of success around here?

I'm not 100% positive but I think stalking may be illegal in the spring...legal or not it's not a good idea.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Not illegal but DNR says:

Never stalk a turkey or turkey sound. Calling the turkey to you is
    the most rewarding and safe way to hunt turkeys. Always assume
    turkey sounds are another hunter until you can be certain it is
    a turkey. Assume other hunters are in the area even if you are
    hunting on private land

words to live by when turkey hunting...

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I always carried an a blaze orange hat and my vest has a blaze orange "flag" that can be pulled out of the back to hang down. When I was up and moving I swapped the blaze orange hat for my camo one and the flag was out. I always sat with my back against a big tree. Some people also tie orange tape to a tree behind them.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    seems PA dropped their spring orange requirement for this year but fall orange is still required. :D It's confusing going back and forth between two states. PA has a not stalking regulation in spring but not fall.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I used to do well years ago in Calvert and now that I'm in the thick of turkeys I won't go. I think I'm the only one around here that hasn't had Lyme disease.......yet. The little bastards are out in force by then. :sad20:

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's

Gotta admit, I've never hunted Turkey. I'd love to have someone go with me, show me the ropes in exchange for knowing where they are.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Here's mug shot of me and the last nice Tom I took back in Nebraska - sorry the lighting is kinda off, it was dark by the time we got back to the trucks

Attachments

• curt's big tom - hickman.jpg
      curt's big tom - hickman.jpg
      40.3 KB · Views: 61

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads