• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Considering the crazy variety of 9mm pistols that seem to constantly appear from manufacturers I have recently been contemplating going back to 9mm instead of my go to 45acp. I am a simple guy, big bullet means big hole. I truly believe shot placement is WAY more important than how many you fling through the air, but can admit I can get multiple rounds off a little quicker with a 9mm, a little quicker.

Then 30 super carry (cool name that implies some sort of super hero characteristics). Oh great.......... I've never been one to go after the new shiny thing and want to see how I think does for a while. I'd like to shot one, esp at a plate, to see what kind of energy it has.

Speaking off, the big reason I haven't went 9mm from 45 you ask? Steel plate test. Plate swings with the 9mm, plate and stand almost fall over with quick 45 hits. Can't argue with the energy. Also heard to many stories about badguys taking multiple 9mm rounds and still being badguys for awhile.

Now if the 30SC feels like a 9 and hits like a 45 I'm sold........but I won't hold my breath.

TD

45 does smack plates pretty hard. It has a little more energy than hot 9mm loads, but a ton more momentum. It's also a reason 45 loads deflect much less than 9mm.

...you do feel that capacity limitation when shooting a bunch though. Here's a comparison of energy and momentum between two 30 super carry loads, a 147gr hst load, and a 230 gr ranger t load. You can see how energy isnt all that different, but momentum scales up bigly with mass.
    Screenshot_20220501-154803_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220501-154743_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220501-154655_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220501-154721_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Hi Point Carbine in .30 super carry. Fist I’ve heard of this caliber

Also Shield

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Hi Point Carbine in .30 super carry. Fist I’ve heard of this caliber

Also Shield

I’ve been eyeing the 30 SC, but there aren’t many handgun manufacturers yet. It’s less power than a 9mm, but you get 2-3 extra rounds in a similar-sized mag. Trade off doesn’t seem worth it to me.

5.7 on the other hand has similar ft/lbs (although slightly lower - comparing standard rounds only, not +P) but you can fit 23 rounds in a flush-fit mag.

The Hi Point carbine is very new.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Less power than the most powerful 9, but not all 9.

According to that trauma guy who posted for a while before disappearing, hits count more than "power"

My take on 5.7 is the diameter makes thru and thru more likely, but it does have its place in defeating low end body armor

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Have 1 30SC gun in the shop, maybe 11/12 boxes of ammo for it (fmj and hst) - haven’t had much interest from anyone coming in so far.

Maybe in a few years it’ll see a resurgence like we’ve seen the 10mm’s have - but likely won’t rush to replace the gun/ammo once it sells.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    S&W is having a rebate/promotion going on now where they’ll give you 3 additional mags for free with the purchase of a gun (https://www.smith-wesson.com/rebates).

I’ve been researching the 30 Super Carry for a while now and this deal makes it more tempting. Does anyone have a 30 SC they shoot fairly often? From what I’ve read, the ballistics are very similar to a non +P 9mm Luger, but that could just be marketing hype.

I’m not exactly thrilled to add a new caliber to my mix, but 16 round mags in a subcompact does have some appeal.

VHT4ME

Jan 7, 2021
    Have 1 30SC gun in the shop, maybe 11/12 boxes of ammo for it (fmj and hst) - haven’t had much interest from anyone coming in so far.

Maybe in a few years it’ll see a resurgence like we’ve seen the 10mm’s have - but likely won’t rush to replace the gun/ammo once it sells.
    I have a feeling eventually that ammo is going to be worth more than the gun. Most shops don't even carry 380ACP ammunition.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have a feeling eventually that ammo is going to be worth more than the gun. Most shops don't even carry 380ACP ammunition.
    Thankfully, we're not like most shops. Over 500 guns in the building, another 360+ in the vault to come over. Ammo wall is about 18ft long, and we're always adding inventory/selection.

For a place that opened in April, we're doing the best we can.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I’ve decided to abandon the 30 Super Carry idea. I ordered an M&P Shield Plus in 9mm the other day. I’m thinking that the 30SC is a cartridge developed to fix something that isn’t broken and it won’t be around in 10-15 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom