• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Larry David

Jul 1, 2013
    Carroll County
    Buying a new MSR in .556. I have two I’m seriously considering. The LWRC Direct Impingement ($1499) or the IWI Zion 15 ($899). They both appear to be well made rifles. Yes, there is a significant price difference. Obvious differences - LWRC has a keyless and nickel coated BCG and a spiral fluted barrel. IWI has a 15” hand guard LWRC looks like a 12” hand guard probably to show off that spiral fluted barrel.

Both rifles get great reviews on YouTube and a few other sources. Is there $600 of better rifle in the LWRC? Both rifles are made in the USA. Yes, even the IWI is made in the USA. IWI established a manufacturing facility in PA in case the feds ban imported MSR’s.

I like both rifles but I like the 15” hand guard on the IWI because I tend to slide my support hand about as far as I can. I want reliability. I don’t want a finicky rifle in regards to what ammo it likes to eat. I buy whatever is on sale and run with that. This particular rifle will be used in a competitive and target shooting environment. If there are any opinions regarding these two rifles I’d like to see them. Thanks

Jun 17, 2014
    The IWI Zion is the Toyota Camry of AR15's. There are obviously better rifles on the market, but the dollar to quality ratio with IWI's Zion is really tough to beat.
    Stop on in and fondle a couple. If you come tomorrow afternoon or evening, you'll have the added bonus of meeting Squaregrouper.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I'm not a fan of those LWRC BCGs. Not sure what else on that rifle is proprietary but I'd go with the option that doesn't have compatibility issues.

You can do some serious upgrading with $600 in my opinion.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    If you are new to the world of AR's the IWI Zion is a great option.

I put them squarely in the same category as complete Aero Precision or Ballistic Advantage builds (neither make a complete HBAR). Slight advantage to Aero and BA because of their barrel nut/handguard lockup design. Splitting hairs, though.

You can't go wrong with LWRC, but as Omegared stated, they've got some proprietary stuff on there that makes interchangeability difficult, and also as stated, that extra $600 can be put into buying a quality optic from Aimpoint or Eotech.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I’d get the IWI and use the extra to get a trigger. Then you’ll still have money to put towards optics. I personally don’t like the LWRC hand guard but that’s just a feel thing and you may like it. LWRC barrel is a looker but that wouldn’t pull me that way. A faxon barrel and a good trigger would still be cheaper and would be a better rifle if for no other reason than the trigger. There will be some healthy LWRC support replying I’m sure.

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    I am biased to Lwrc. I have one DI and really like it. Very accurate and pretty much bullet proof. I also like the suppressor function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Buying a new MSR in .556. I have two I’m seriously considering. The LWRC Direct Impingement ($1499) or the IWI Zion 15 ($899). They both appear to be well made rifles. Yes, there is a significant price difference. Obvious differences - LWRC has a keyless and nickel coated BCG and a spiral fluted barrel. IWI has a 15” hand guard LWRC looks like a 12” hand guard probably to show off that spiral fluted barrel.

Both rifles get great reviews on YouTube and a few other sources. Is there $600 of better rifle in the LWRC? Both rifles are made in the USA. Yes, even the IWI is made in the USA. IWI established a manufacturing facility in PA in case the feds ban imported MSR’s.

I like both rifles but I like the 15” hand guard on the IWI because I tend to slide my support hand about as far as I can. I want reliability. I don’t want a finicky rifle in regards to what ammo it likes to eat. I buy whatever is on sale and run with that. This particular rifle will be used in a competitive and target shooting environment. If there are any opinions regarding these two rifles I’d like to see them. Thanks

*****I own several LWRC-DI's and have shot the IWI quite a bit at the range. The IWI is a great value for its price and offers a very competitive platform and reliability. Having field stripped and cleaned both, the fit and finish IME is much better on the LWRC and it has some higher dollar features including the BCG having really nice machining and nicer supporting bolt face that can take a lot of abuse with less likelihood of failure. Having held both brands carriers in my hands - the LWRC looks and feels *much* more solid and well machined.

I personally like the ambi mag release on the LWRC as it allows for rapid mag changes in odd positions you might be in sometimes on the fly. The fluted barrel looks pretty wicked to me, and LWRC has a bunch of different M-LOK rail kits that are very easy to swap and attach whatever to. I use their competition rail myself as it fits my hand better, but the company makes several variations.

I'm very careful and like cleaning my guns after every competition/range outing and pay particular attention to the extractor and the LWRC one seems hardened differently than cheaper platforms I have seen, including the IWI. I have several thousand rounds through my competition gun and have never had an issue, but my range friends have had to service their extractors on other less expensive platforms including the IWI - it may be partially due to them not cleaning their rifles as often, or perhaps because they sometimes use steel casings - dunno.

Anyway, the IWI is a great value quite frankly, but for me the extra $500-$600 (basically a case of ammo difference at todays prices..) difference between the two is due partially to just better workmanship and overall design and machining between the two.

A couple of pics below. This one is my HD gun and has well over 5k rounds through it, and other than cleaning it, I haven't had to replace any parts yet. Barrel looks good with a bore scope, and the BCG has very minimal wear and mics perfectly to spec.

I have an Aimpoint on this one and a small tactical magnifier to match my tactical socks and tactical hat (not shown). My competition LWRC has the competition rail, a forward hand stop, different sights, a sling, and has some massaged internals by a gunsmith for the type of ammo I like to use.

Either way, both nice guns. I have more experience with LWRC and have several of them, including one in 300 BLK that's an absolute beast of a gun with remarkable accuracy right out of the box.

Good luck whatever you decide. See if you can hold and shoot both.

Attachments

• g2.jpg
      g2.jpg
      117.8 KB · Views: 1,028
    • g1.jpg
      g1.jpg
      105 KB · Views: 829

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    I am partial to the LWRC, I have owned mine for 5 years and have has no issues with it even after around 6k rounds, I have been looking at the IWI and definitely interested in it as my next AR but haven't gotten around to anything beyond looking at it online and watching some reviews and I don't have anyone I personally know with first hand experience with the gun

Jun 17, 2014
    *****I own several LWRC-DI's and have shot the IWI quite a bit at the range. The IWI is a great value for its price and offers a very competitive platform and reliability. Having field stripped and cleaned both, the fit and finish IME is much better on the LWRC and it has some higher dollar features including the BCG having really nice machining and nicer supporting bolt face that can take a lot of abuse with less likelihood of failure. Having held both brands carriers in my hands - the LWRC looks and feels *much* more solid and well machined.

I personally like the ambi mag release on the LWRC as it allows for rapid mag changes in odd positions you might be in sometimes on the fly. The fluted barrel looks pretty wicked to me, and LWRC has a bunch of different M-LOK rail kits that are very easy to swap and attach whatever to. I use their competition rail myself as it fits my hand better, but the company makes several variations.

I'm very careful and like cleaning my guns after every competition/range outing and pay particular attention to the extractor and the LWRC one seems hardened differently than cheaper platforms I have seen, including the IWI. I have several thousand rounds through my competition gun and have never had an issue, but my range friends have had to service their extractors on other less expensive platforms including the IWI - it may be partially due to them not cleaning their rifles as often, or perhaps because they sometimes use steel casings - dunno.

Anyway, the IWI is a great value quite frankly, but for me the extra $500-$600 (basically a case of ammo difference at todays prices..) difference between the two is due partially to just better workmanship and overall design and machining between the two.

A couple of pics below. This one is my HD gun and has well over 5k rounds through it, and other than cleaning it, I haven't had to replace any parts yet. Barrel looks good with a bore scope, and the BCG has very minimal wear and mics perfectly to spec.

I have an Aimpoint on this one and a small tactical magnifier to match my tactical socks and tactical hat (not shown). My competition LWRC has the competition rail, a forward hand stop, different sights, a sling, and has some massaged internals by a gunsmith for the type of ammo I like to use.

Either way, both nice guns. I have more experience with LWRC and have several of them, including one in 300 BLK that's an absolute beast of a gun with remarkable accuracy right out of the box.

Good luck whatever you decide. See if you can hold and shoot both.

I'm pretty sure you're a MOTT. Whose book is that?

Larry David

Jul 1, 2013
    Carroll County
    Thanks for all the thoughtful responses, several of them quite detailed. From the responses there doesn’t look to be a significant downside to either rifle and several positive features to both. As far as optics go I have a Burris prism AR-332 and a Fast Fire III reflex that will be mounted on whichever rifle I buy. I also have Troy industries flip up battle sights to mount on the rifle. I like having backup sights.

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    The LWRC will have the upgrades that you might add to other rifles, if you are comfortable with the price point go with the LWRC and you won't regret it. I have had mine for four years and it has performed flawlessly

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I have zero experience with lwrc di stuff. Only ever run their pistons (prefer pof and PWS but that's another topic). The iwi zion 15 I have owned for a year or so. Not my go to (my go to is one I built) but I have some rounds on it. I loan it to friends and sometimes students whose guns break. I like the z15 out of the box. I haven't messed with it at all just to see how it works over time. Added a PST 1-4 and a light but did no internal work. One not to pick: the stock doesn't actually lock up tight like a magpul ctr but that is a personal gripe since most on the market don't. The price point is very hard to beat, as masada points out. For the bucks, between the two you have named, I'd buy the z15. Anything you don't like, change. Since you already have optics, you have leftover budget for good steel sling qd mounts (the all aluminum ones that almost all mfgs provide suck), a quality sling, a light if your purposes dictate, and some mlok slot rubbers to avoid toasting your hand.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Buy the Zion 15, use the money you saved toward training/competition or ammo for training/competition. LWRC makes a fine weapon but I don’t care for AR pattern firearms that use proprietary components.

MaierApril

Oct 17, 2017
    I have both the LWRC DI in mlok and the Zion15.

Both are excellent rifles and you can't go wrong with either. For whatever its worth, the LWRC does come with some nice upgrades over the IWI like ambi controls and a better than milspec trigger.

One thing thing to consider is what type of ammo do you plan on feeding your rifle? IWI has a 1:8 twist while the LWRC has 1:7 if you care about that.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Mt daughters boyfriend got a LWRC for Christmas from his step dad. I should be so lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom