• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    I’m still fairly new and make an occasional mistake. What’s everyone’s favorite bullet puller ? I see the Hornady lever and RCBS not sure of others

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    The hammers work good for pulling bullets with no powder in a case(testing seating depth mock cartridge etc) but it gets messy when you have a loaded round with 50gr of powder all inside the hammer. Not horrible if pulling a bullet here and there though or need to seat a bullet a little further out.

If pulling a decent amount, the RCBS is the way to go. Powder stays in the case and no clean up.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    For a small number of rounds and to minimize damage to the projectile use a kinetic puller. All are pretty much the same.
    Between the press based Hornady or RCBS, I have a Hornady and it works pretty good. However, you have to use a different collet based on the size of the bullet and it can damage lead or soft bullets and will leave marks on jacketed bullets.

I picked the Hornady one based on available collet sizes at the time I bought it.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Get a collet model. A kinetic one is okay for the occasional mistake but if you realize too late that you've made a whole run of ammo using 150gn bullets using your 180gn recipe, you'll get why.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I keep an RCBS puller rigged in my single stage next to my 550. I don't have room in my room to swing a kinetic...:lol2:

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    I already have a kinetic and it’s ok for bullets with no powder. I’ll check which one has the available collets for the most common rounds. I do have a old rock chucker I can use it in

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I keep an RCBS puller rigged in my single stage next to my 550. I don't have room in my room to swing a kinetic...:lol2:

I have the exact same setup. I use the single stage for pulling and depriming. I deprime in a universal de primer before cleaning in the wet tumbler.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I use pliers to grip the bullet and use the press (minus any die) to pull the bullet out of the mounted case. No fuss, no muss, no BOOM!

JBoshoven

May 30, 2021
    Severn, MD
    I have an old Midway kinetic puller. As stated above, these work well for the odd round now and again that needs pulling. I put a piece of cotton in the bottom to avoid bullet damage. Powder is messy, but again for occasional use, good enough. I also have the RCBS collet type puller. I bought the RCBS when I got a bunch of cheap factory loads that my rifle hates. I used the RCBS to pull the bullets and reload the primed cases with loads my gun likes. I chose the RCBS because of the way it grabs the bullet (collet pulls up into the die). I figured it will always grab the bullet and never damage the case. I am not so sure that is the case with the Hornady. It looks to me that the way the cooler works it slides toward the case and could damage it. Not sure if my assessment is correct for the Hornday, but for sure the RCBS works great. It took about 9 months, but I eventually found all the collets I wanted (7).

Jack

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I have an old Midway kinetic puller. As stated above, these work well for the odd round now and again that needs pulling. I put a piece of cotton in the bottom to avoid bullet damage. Powder is messy, but again for occasional use, good enough. I also have the RCBS collet type puller. I bought the RCBS when I got a bunch of cheap factory loads that my rifle hates. I used the RCBS to pull the bullets and reload the primed cases with loads my gun likes. I chose the RCBS because of the way it grabs the bullet (collet pulls up into the die). I figured it will always grab the bullet and never damage the case. I am not so sure that is the case with the Hornady. It looks to me that the way the cooler works it slides toward the case and could damage it. Not sure if my assessment is correct for the Hornday, but for sure the RCBS works great. It took about 9 months, but I eventually found all the collets I wanted (7).

Jack

The Hornady takes a little setting up. I use mine on an old single stage press. You have to adjust it so that when the press is raised the case can’t enter into the collet. The case can get stuck in the collet and that is PITA to get out.
    It works better for rifle rounds. It is hard to grab on to some pistol rounds, especially if they are round or seated deeply.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I use pliers to grip the bullet and use the press (minus any die) to pull the bullet out of the mounted case. No fuss, no muss, no BOOM!

works if you wanna toss the bullet. Its what I do when pulling casted bullets cause I toss them into a bin to be remelted later.

I have a Kinetic puller, rcbs collet and one of these (8mm one)
    https://grip-n-pull.com/collections/all-grip-n-pull-bullet-pullers

I had several hundred 8mm to pull for components and it does not mark it up and works quickly. I put grip tape over the handles.
    I don't like the grouping of calibers as they could have put 308 and 8mm in the same catagory for a "milsurp" range starting with 6.5. But a piece of card on the 8mm will pull 308 just fine.

With them on sale, thinking of getting the 17-30 one

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Someone gave me a good tip when using a kinetic puller. Use a shellholder instead of the 3 piece collar that comes with the puller.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    RCBS collet puller for me. It has its limitations though; it shears on casts and truncated nosed bullets. Casts and other ones that slips through get the kinetic hammer. One great tip to getting stubborn projectiles out is seated the round deeper to break the seal/binding the bullet may have on the case neck. Worst cast scenerio, I take a steel case of similar diameter of the bullet and pry it slightly along the case neck to warp the case neck slightly so the bullet just slips right out.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I found out you just shoot cast bullets with a gas check. The kinetic puller pull the slug but leaves the GC in the neck of the cartridge. Mistakes become plinking rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom