• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    If you haven't seen it in the WC, I'll give a quick background. First, I'm ambidextrous but lean to left carry my main EDC blade. I found Griptilians probably 15 years ago and love the AXIS lock. It is the only lock I've tried that I can easily work with both hands.

I've had several, both full and minis, all blade styles. My favorite was a custom sheepsfoot that I got from Custom Scales Division almost 5 years ago and lost recently.

After weeks of searching, I'd given up and ordered a new one from Custom Scales Division with a couple of changes; drop point blade and some aggressive pattern in the micarta scales. Before they finished it up and dropped it in the mail, they sent me the photo below.

It always takes about 8 weeks for them to turn a custom job around so I got tired of waiting. The only AXIS I still have (given several to my kids), is a mini with original nylon scales and a serrated tanto. I don't really like it. TBH, I don't like the mini except as a toolbox/glovebox knife. They are just two small for me.

So how tired did I get? I bought a Bugout 535-3 and a Freek 560BK-1. The Bugout showed up today and out of the box I had some issues.

First, the lock release seemed to be catching on something like a burr. I decided to disassemble and see what was going on. I had to swap the carry clip to left-hand carry anyway.

One of the screws on the carry clip wouldn't come loose and just spun freely. The screw retention thingie (whatever they are called) was spinning freely in the carbon fiber. I heated it up indirectly, wedged the clip and was able to get it free after some fidgeting and a few choice words.

I didn't find anything causing the snagging but nano-oiled it and reassembled. It's now operating perfectly so it must have been a bit of shaving or something that fell free.

First impression is that it is also too small. The handle is a little too narrow and a bit too short. Much better than a mini though. I think it could end up as my backup (right-side carry) knife since it is so thin and light. So for that, it will suit well. FTR, the blade size is pretty nice (3.24") and it's S90V.

The Freek is due to arrive Monday and I'm hopeful that it will be a better fit. I'll report back further impressions after I get all of them and have a chance to wear them awhile.

Attachments

• IMG_9209.JPG
      IMG_9209.JPG
      58.2 KB · Views: 221

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    The Super Freek showed up yesterday and was a few days early. The size is great but again, there was a problem with a bit of grinding when opening and closing. I disassembled and found a bit of rough spot on the back end of the blade right where it engages with the AXIS rod. I hit it with a small file and fixed it up.

The Bugout was probably just a metal shaving but this should have been caught in QC. :shrug:

That aside, I love the size and feel in my hand. The sculpted G10 scales with texturizing feels very secure. I'm going to give it a 9 out of 10. The PITA fix aside, it ships with a standard carry clip instead of a deep carry clip. If your knife is advertised as an EDC knife and has a clip, IMHO, it should default to deep.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    The Super Freek took over as my edc. I also found the rough area on mine. Got it a couple months ago so maybe in the tooling had issues for a time. Thought it was just mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I don't carry my bugout now cause I almost lost it a couple times due to the mini-clip getting pushed out of my pocket. I just ordered a full length clip for it, that should fix my problem but hopefully it doesn't ruin the feel of the knife.

cmb

Dec 28, 2012
    Conowingo MD
    I'm a lefty in shooting, writing and eating but everything else is done right handed,:facepalm: Liner locks aren't very handy for me but there are some great knives with them. The two that I carry now are Benchmade Contegos. Easiest to use with my wrecked hands too! When they're adjusted right, the weight of the blade will open and close them with very little input from me. Much more user friendly(for me) than side opening automatics and less apt to get fouled with debris than front opening models... I've had 'em all!:D

Attachments

• Resized_20200517_074148.jpg
      Resized_20200517_074148.jpg
      105.8 KB · Views: 132
    • Resized_20200517_074218.jpg
      Resized_20200517_074218.jpg
      101.4 KB · Views: 131

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm a lefty in shooting, writing and eating but everything else is done right handed,:facepalm: Liner locks aren't very handy for me but there are some great knives with them. The two that I carry now are Benchmade Contegos. Easiest to use with my wrecked hands too! When they're adjusted right, the weight of the blade will open and close them with very little input from me. Much more user friendly(for me) than side opening automatics and less apt to get fouled with debris than front opening models... I've had 'em all!:D

I'm in complete agreement with your choice of EDC.

Contego has been mine for the last several years; when I was working, I carried the McHenry & Williams Benchmade. I think it was the first axis lock model. It was scaring some of the ladies, so I went to the Benchmade Osbourse, 940 reverse tanto, which blade style is the nuts for quick snap opening. I have a Benchmade auto, but the axis locks open just as quickly, with less hassle, both from the controls or from the law.

Now that I'm not at work it's Contego all the way. When I found that they were being discontinued I bought a second, for backup, having learned my lesson years earlier form my folks: if you find something you really like, buy two, because they'll stop making them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom