• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Question.

Is it normal - or completely unheard of - to find some fine metal shavings inside the upper receiver after the first couple boxes of ammo, through a brand new complete upper mated onto a brand new complete lower?

So, this is the first time I’ve bought a complete upper assembly (Combat Armory) and slapped it onto a complete lower (PSA) and, after a first or initial 40 rounds, found some fine metal shavings (look to be both aluminum or steel AND a couple brass) inside the upper receiver?

After returning home from range, I used mineral spirits and compressed air to flush what’s in the pics out of the disassembled rifle after 2 boxes of factory Federal 55gr soft point (zeroing at 50yds - 5 shots to zero red dot and 5 more to zero opens - and then play with some steel at 200 (30 shots) …

Attachments

• AAED1A9C-A839-43C0-B211-A8BDA0ACE1B9.jpg
      AAED1A9C-A839-43C0-B211-A8BDA0ACE1B9.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 406
    • 22CA64B5-3FBB-42DA-BF4B-8AC5030AE17F.jpg
      22CA64B5-3FBB-42DA-BF4B-8AC5030AE17F.jpg
      115.5 KB · Views: 399
    • CE305A14-9036-47F9-8F49-C682F066E293.jpg
      CE305A14-9036-47F9-8F49-C682F066E293.jpg
      64 KB · Views: 396
    • 3A8E01FF-BD62-466C-BCA2-1A790107F159.jpg
      3A8E01FF-BD62-466C-BCA2-1A790107F159.jpg
      57.3 KB · Views: 405
    • 106579A7-7565-402D-87C8-23F9B5A94251.jpg
      106579A7-7565-402D-87C8-23F9B5A94251.jpg
      100.4 KB · Views: 399

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    I’ll add, the rifle functioned flawlessly with those SHK mags from Global Ordnance (those mags run slick as snot through everything we own) and I’m happy with accuracy from 50-yards with open sights …

I’d already zeroed the 4moa dot sight which was turned off in order to zero the open sights which are some non-spectacular Tippmans and, thanks to GrayStone Eye Clinic in Hickory that 3/4” paster WAS THE TARGET at 50-yard, from seated at bench using elbows …

Dang it. All pics should be rotated 1/4 clockWISE … !

Attachments

• 9B2EDD97-FCEB-4CD7-8DCE-A5AC8C5A7085.jpeg
      9B2EDD97-FCEB-4CD7-8DCE-A5AC8C5A7085.jpeg
      59.5 KB · Views: 373
    • B508CC7A-325F-4C67-A76A-383C431B0590.jpeg
      B508CC7A-325F-4C67-A76A-383C431B0590.jpeg
      18.8 KB · Views: 373
    • 0989CE6F-48FC-466B-9D74-5EEAB33DECAD.jpeg
      0989CE6F-48FC-466B-9D74-5EEAB33DECAD.jpeg
      22.9 KB · Views: 374

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Ahhhhhhh …. dang, Thank you!

Now about those metal shavings?

ETA: tried it on my iPad no love, will try and mess w it on my iPhone after I crawl out from under hon’s rear axle …

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Check the rear of your carrier for burrs. The buffer shouldn't be that chewed up. I'd bet thats where the metal is coming from. If that isn't it, close the lower on the upper slowly. The rear of the carrier should push the buffer back a little. The buffer should not contact the buffer retaining pin during the firing cycle. If it doesn't push the buffer back off the pin a little, the lower is out of spec.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Just curious if you cleaned and lubed it before firing?

Excellent question and yes, insides and outs, thoroughly. :thumbsup:

Check the rear of your carrier for burrs. The buffer shouldn't be that chewed up. I'd bet thats where the metal is coming from. If that isn't it, close the lower on the upper slowly. The rear of the carrier should push the buffer back a little. The buffer should not contact the buffer retaining pin during the firing cycle. If it doesn't push the buffer back off the pin a little, the lower is out of spec.

:thumbsup: Thank YOU! :thumbsup: Imagunna do these checks just as soon as get done working on wife’s car…

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland

Teratos- How common are problems like this with home builds?

I'm looking to purchase an HBAR upper kit soon and mill my 80% lower this winter.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    That is a lot of shavings, not normal, and you should be able to see what is wearing based upon your pictures.

Did you clean it well before firing? Is it possible a clump of shavings left over from manufacturing was in the upper and overlooked?

Look for sharp edges near the feed ramps and the bolt face which may be tearing up the brass.

Are any of the shavings sticking to the receiver? Hard to tell from the pictures. Thinking possible contamination during the anodizing process and shooting it has freed them due to wear.

Hope you get it figured out.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Teratos- How common are problems like this with home builds?

I'm looking to purchase an HBAR upper kit soon and mill my 80% lower this winter.

I've seen the burr on the carrier once. These are not common issues. Get decent lowers (I like Cerro Forge, they have the keyhole forge mark). The only problem I have had with home builds is the safety sometimes being too close to let the trigger pull sufficiently, and won't engage as a safety. A file fixes that. I'm sure folks have other issues, but if you start with good stuff, you'll get a good rifle. Most “issues” will be human error.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    That is a lot of shavings, not normal, and you should be able to see what is wearing based upon your pictures.

Did you clean it well before firing? Is it possible a clump of shavings left over from manufacturing was in the upper and overlooked?

Look for sharp edges near the feed ramps and the bolt face which may be tearing up the brass.

Are any of the shavings sticking to the receiver? Hard to tell from the pictures. Thinking possible contamination during the anodizing process and shooting it has freed them due to wear.

Hope you get it figured out.

Hey, Nick!

Yes, I cleaned the upper REALLY WELL - as in used a pan with mineral spirits, a natural bristle brush and compressed air to flush the dang thing out with a vengeance - as it compared very “dry and rough” compared to the DelTon’s.

I’m going to take your advice and go through it, the bolt carrier group, EVERYthing with a pair of OptiLoupe visors on once I:

a) get the wife’s 66 GTO figured out (was thinking the rear axle was low on gear oil but checked that and now I’m thinking the clutch needs adjustment which is outta my bailiwick :-( AND THEN

b) figure out why I’m not getting any cocking in the Glock 23 I dropped a Lone Wolf trigger upgrade kit into last night (from 1-3am :sad20: ) (Looks like the connector is sitting out away from the trigger assembly chassis a good bit; I’ve got a message left into them now …

I have to admit, while I did inspect the bolt face closely I did NOT examine around the feed ramps …

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Forgot to mention to check the extractor for burrs, too. It needs to have a sharp angle, just not digging into the brass as it functions.

Any burrs should be lightly dressed with a fine file or stone.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Looks like some interesting cam pin wear on the inside of the upper. Some wear/peening in that area is not uncommon, especially if the buffer is too light causing premature unlocking, but I have not seen it in that specific area on any rifle before.

Inspect your cam pin on the BCG. Any indication of rubbing?

Also, what buffer weight are you running?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Check the rear of your carrier for burrs. The buffer shouldn't be that chewed up. I'd bet thats where the metal is coming from.

:thumbsup: Check. Rear of carrier looks okay (but, I’ve yet to go through the entire action area with magnified vision and I’m gonna wait til I have no interruptions and do that with purpose)

… If that isn't it, close the lower on the upper slowly. The rear of the carrier should push the buffer back a little. The buffer should not contact the buffer retaining pin during the firing cycle. If it doesn't push the buffer back off the pin a little, the lower is out of spec.

Whew. The rear of the carrier is definitely moving the buffer back a little. (Did I say, “whew!” ? )

I really appreciate your and the others’ replies. While I was replying to GuitarmanNick the UPS driver arrived with another DelTon upper (the one in question is a Combat Arms) and I haven’t had any issues with those thus far, like the one I am looking for the cause of now …

Attachments

• EEAC3764-4A19-4C42-B69E-2F0E730786FA.jpeg
      EEAC3764-4A19-4C42-B69E-2F0E730786FA.jpeg
      34.9 KB · Views: 130
    • DCBBF439-E4AE-4C0D-BD28-71996EDF4FA8.jpg
      DCBBF439-E4AE-4C0D-BD28-71996EDF4FA8.jpg
      57.4 KB · Views: 136

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Looks like some interesting cam pin wear on the inside of the upper. Some wear/peening in that area is not uncommon, especially if the buffer is too light causing premature unlocking, but I have not seen it in that specific area on any rifle before.

Inspect your cam pin on the BCG. Any indication of rubbing?

Also, what buffer weight are you running?

Hi, SkiPatrolDude - and Thank You. I am going to inspect the cam pin extremely closely when I get home and go through the entire upper with magnifications and “finger tips”.

I am clueless as the the weight buffer PSA sent the lower with, I, ASSuming milspec weight?

Maki

Jun 11, 2020
    Odenton
    My Yugo Mauser has that problem. The feed ramp has a sharp edge on it and shaves off the brass. Since it mostly sits in the safe, I've never bothered to file it down smooth as it only gets maybe 10 rounds a year through it.

b) figure out why I’m not getting any cocking in the Glock 23 I dropped a Lone Wolf trigger upgrade kit into last night (from 1-3am :sad20: ) (Looks like the connector is sitting out away from the trigger assembly chassis a good bit; I’ve got a message left into them now …

I bought a Pyramid trigger from Glockstore and had the same problem when I built my Poly80 G17. Tested the slide with a stock G22 to make sure it wasn't a slide issue, and ended up trashing the trigger for OEM (About $180 gone because it was outside of return window due to COVID parts delays). Overall it seems that aftermarket triggers may have tighter tolerances than stock which may cause issues with the trigger connector lowering enough to release the striker. Of course, that was with a Poly80 build and not an OEM Glock...If you've got the OEM Trigger, I'd toss that in to see if it works like that or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom