• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have an 8" D cell tube and I plan to run this in a 350 legend rifle primarily.
    Not trying to get things too complicated but I have 10 formed SS baffles (from freeze plugs) and a SS tube. I don't recall # of baffles in my 30 cal can but it does well w/ my subsonic 300blk and 308 subsonic.
    I either don't have enough baffles or I need to add spacers between them. Deciding what to do?

Also, I see some baffles people cut a notch in them. What is that for and how are they cut?

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I have an 8" D cell tube and I plan to run this in a 350 legend rifle primarily.
    Not trying to get things too complicated but I have 10 formed SS baffles (from freeze plugs) and a SS tube. I don't recall # of baffles in my 30 cal can but it does well w/ my subsonic 300blk and 308 subsonic.
    I either don't have enough baffles or I need to add spacers between them. Deciding what to do?

Also, I see some baffles people cut a notch in them. What is that for and how are they cut?

you mean clipping?

Clipping improves performance (improves sound suppression). without getting into the weeds of a billion yt videos, clipping creates cross jets, slowing down and deflecting the jet that drafts the bullet. There is a lot of lore about what kind of clip (square, radius, double etc). As far as I can tell: some clipping > no clipping, bit not a lotnof shapes of clips except that there are diminishing returns so double clipping may degrade performance. However double clips are least likely to shift POI.

here is a yt video from Silencer Co where they test clips: indexed, random, and 180degree offset. Indexed clips are the way to go. As far as radius, notched, etc I would go with what's easiest to machine.

also: clips and types

also: as far as "how to" there are some reddit threads on various ways (but it boils down to dremel, drill etc).

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    here is a clip size chart from another forum.

As you can see,, the clip dimension is roughly 1/2 the bore size.

Attachments

• Drill and clip chart.jpg
      Drill and clip chart.jpg
      53.7 KB · Views: 631

10 FP baffles are plenty for an 8" tube. I would space as follows:
    Muzzle, blast chamber spacer, baffle or two, small spacer, 2-3 baffles, small spacer, remaining baffles, spacer sized for remaining area, end cap. This is not set in stone, but that is the gist. (I did a bunch of nerd-search prior to building my centerfire can)
    Clipping baffles increases sound suppression, but they must be aligned perfectly or exactly 180* apart each clip. Otherwise POI will do unpredictable stuff.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    where is a place to get pre cut spacers? I don't think I have enough material to cut some
    wonder if I can dimple the plugs and notch spacers so they don't rotate or allign themselves

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    10 FP baffles are plenty for an 8" tube. I would space as follows:
    Muzzle, blast chamber spacer, baffle or two, small spacer, 2-3 baffles, small spacer, remaining baffles, spacer sized for remaining area, end cap. This is not set in stone, but that is the gist. (I did a bunch of nerd-search prior to building my centerfire can)
    Clipping baffles increases sound suppression, but they must be aligned perfectly or exactly 180* apart each clip. Otherwise POI will do unpredictable stuff.

Generally, your POI shift is reproducible. If it hits 4” high to the right with the can on, it always will.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Interested in how this turns out. My 350 Legend pistol is ridiculously loud and I’d love to form 1 suppress it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    POI shift and clipping

Most pistol cans containing a piston can be 'tuned' in. You simply pull the can towards the muzzle direction to free up the piston and rotate. You can keep doing this to figure out your optimal alignment.

Many sealed commercial cans are not 'clipped' per se. Instead, the bore holes are oblong towards one side of the can. With each baffle, that oblong hole gets rotated to a different direction. Just a sturdier and more maintenance free method for foiling linear sound in a sealed can.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    While pondering this upcoming project I thought that maybe it'd be a good idea to build a suppressor in 30 caliber to use on a 300 Blackout and also use for 5.56. How much suppression would I lose with the larger holes on a 5.56? Would it be a good idea to have 2 sets of baffles with different size holes? Or would the best plan be to have 2 complete suppressors?
    Anybody have any thoughts on this?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    While pondering this upcoming project I thought that maybe it'd be a good idea to build a suppressor in 30 caliber to use on a 300 Blackout and also use for 5.56. How much suppression would I lose with the larger holes on a 5.56? Would it be a good idea to have 2 sets of baffles with different size holes? Or would the best plan be to have 2 complete suppressors?
    Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Not that much, generally speaking. Commercial .30 cans tend to be longer and wider. More volume can overcome a wider diameter bore. I use my .30 cal can on some of my .223/5.56 guns. It actually seams quieter than my .223 can.

Something to consider when building a larger bore F1 suppressor.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Not that much, generally speaking. Commercial .30 cans tend to be longer and wider. More volume can overcome a wider diameter bore. I use my .30 cal can on some of my .223/5.56 guns. It actually seams quieter than my .223 can.

Something to consider when building a larger bore F1 suppressor.

That might explain why there are a lot more 30 cal cans than 5.56. Heck - some manufactures don't even offer a dedicated 5.56 can, just 5.56 end caps for their 30 cal cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom