• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    So recently my father and I had the privilege of being able to go shooting with a friend of his at the club he's a member at. Great range, nice 100yrd rifle and shotgun range, 40yrd pistol and shotgun range with metal target's. We love shooting the metal,lots of fun especially the sound that disk makes when you hit it with 45acp, is heaven. But the place was just ridiculous on rules, key card to get in, cameras everywhere just not what we like, we don't like being watched. We use to go and have alot of fun at sleepy creak before they closed, taking water jugs and shooting them and plywood Target.
    So I was curious if anyone knows of any ranges in the tri-state area that allows metal and clay targets, that isn't ridiculously strict and cost a fortune to go to? We go to elk neck from time to time and like that but your limited to what you can shoot on what range, what ammo you can use, what targets you can use. Maybe the days of places like sleepy Creek are gone.
    I've also been checking out YouTube watching hichock45 and talking to my dad and he was saying that back in the 70's his friend had a cousin that had some land out western Maryland that they had set up a range similar to Hickok's. Sadly the cousin died sometime ago. I was curious though if that is something that people still do? Are there people out there that would allow someone to come onto their property and set up a small range like that?

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****Let us know when you find such a place as you wish to go to with lax rules that doesn't cost a fortune, and allows you to shoot water jugs, steel, etc.. and doesn't have cameras, key cards, etc.. Presumably ya just walk in I guess... :shrug:

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    I would suggest planning to purchase land that will accommodate your private range needs. Until then play along with the rules at a range that allows you to shoot what you enjoy. If I didn’t have room to shoot on my property my shooting sports enjoyment would drop dramatically. I love shooting steel, water jugs, expired canned goods, tin cans or whatever else I have laying around. Paper targets are just boring beyond just maintaining proficiency.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Yes.....everyyyyoooneee at public ranges is safe....why should they be watched by the people paying the high insurance premiums?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Good friend bought land in WV as a getaway generally, but not least because it's got terrain that lends itself to the sort of fun shooting that we all crave. So far, he has the land, and I've brought a lot of steel targets to keep there - and it's great. Yeah, it's a two-hour drive (less if I don't stop for gas!), so an overnight there makes it a lot more attractive. But it totally transforms the whole fun shooting experience. If you don't mind a bit more of a drive or some rougher terrain, it's not that expensive a proposition, and its hugely liberating. We're likely going to buy our friend's adjoining lot to make the whole scene even sweeter, and it may even become home base at some point. We pretty much gave up looking for a place within 50 miles of us in MoCo with even a pale shadow of that shooting experience and smiles to go with it.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It seemed to me like folks at Elk Neck did whatever they wanted...because no one was watching :shrug:

A lot of ranges will let you shoot steel as part of a match (Delta Fish and Game, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Isaac Walton League at York, Littlestown Fish and Game to name a few)...but they have rules and people will be watching.

Shooting fun trash (water bottles, food, unused cans of expanding foam (which is awesome, btw:innocent0)) is definitely more of an "on your own or your buddy's private property" kind of thing. With liability and all, it would probably have to be a pretty good buddy to do that now a days though. Maybe if you find a sympathetic farmer, you might be able to exchange some work for shooting privileges...but I'd bet he would should make you sign a waiver or something.

The club I used to belong to actually got away with shooting (and cleaning up) a surprising amount of trash at, of all places, AGC (no foam cans though:sad20:). It was always as a match and...of course, AGC has rules and people watching.:rolleyes:

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Let me know what you find...

I'm looking for a range where I can tow in some old cars as target practice for my Bazooka...

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    If you're going shooting on a public range, why would you be put off by safety rules? Maybe you've been shooting forever and feel like you're very safe but these rules you're not liking apply to the new shooters as well. What would offend me is going to AGC and getting swept by noobs with no RSO around to enforce the rules and correct the violators. I've had RSO's standing behind me at AGC while I'm shooting and I'm always thankful for them being there, doing the sometimes unpopular things they do, because w/o them....things can go very shitty.

Safety is our friend and none of us ever get to the experience level where we're above being corrected or coached. I would respectfully suggest you at least reconsider your reactions to measures put in place to keep you safe.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I get wanting to be able to shoot at cool targets. But you must understand the rules and cameras came to be because of a small percentage of people are idiots. I definitely don’t mind people watching me at the range and the safety rules. I really can’t stand the people who show up and leave the range in far worse condition than they found it.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I get wanting to be able to shoot at cool targets. But you must understand the rules and cameras came to be because of a small percentage of people are idiots. I definitely don’t mind people watching me at the range and the safety rules. I really can’t stand the people who show up and leave the range in far worse condition than they found it.

:thumbsup:

I don't even bother with Elk Neck, as there seems to be a significant population of idiots that frequent the place.

I would add that if and when shooters join a new club/range, they fully familiarize themselves with that range's protocols and procedures, especially with respect to safety issues, and adhere to them. I've seen some new members lately that are either ignorant of basic range safety behavior, or deliberately choose to ignore it. Unfortunately, many clubs/ranges will not permit personal steel targets or target stands, bambambambambambambambam or fun stuff like exploding targets, glass bottles, tin cans, or large fruits and vegetables. (Pumpkin season!)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I get it about fun ( informal reactive targets ) and continual live action colonoscopy .

But the reality is all Clubs or Ranges open to general public have , and need to have , safety rules , the Devil is in the fine print details . And in addition to pure safety , the various Clubs all have their Culture and Traditions , sometimes encoded in their Range Rules .

All that said , the last I saw here on MDS , Delmarva Sporting Clays had one of their ranges where ( informal reactive targets) were permitted .

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    At any ranges I’ve been a member of you’d get your ass beat for shooting cans of food, expanding foam, or any other messy stuff. Rules or not, you don’t keep a nice range by letting people shit all over it.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Public ranges have the cameras for their own protection, not to watch you. Where do you think these self inflicted gun shot videos at the range come from?

I have done a lot of camera systems for Government entities and other businesses and they worry about legal protection. One of the higher ups in Washington Metro told me once the only cameras they cannot afford to fail or have poor quality are the ones looking up and down the track in the stations. He said Jumpers jump in front of the trains and the family of the jumper always bring suit as it is not possible their family member committed suicide, in their thoughts. So he said one of those cameras could save them a million dollars or more.

Walmart is the same. They prevent and enforce cases for theft, but they also catch the people trying to fake fall and make a lawsuit. The burden of proof the event did not happen that way is on the store or Govt entente, not everyone that files suit.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If anyone wants that, and is close to York county, PA come on up https://www.facebook.com/groups/2352455358402017/

It's a private range, but easy to join, just show up to a meeting, fill out a form, pay your dues, and shoot as much as you want, 25yd pistol range with lots of steel, a 22 section, and 200yd rifle range with a few gongs. Rules are simple, we do have cameras, primarily to protect the huge investment in the range and AR500 plates that were getting destroyed. Simple combo lock all members have, work days and the like are helpful, but not mandatory, basically don't trash the place or shoot anyone, and enjoy

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Didn't know they blocked it, but

Private sporting club located in south central Pennsylvania. Prospective new members must attend a membership meeting to turn in the application, be voted in , and issued their official membership card. The club is located at 1930 Adair Rd Windsor PA 17366. Membership meetings are help January through November on the first Monday of the month so long as that does not fall on a holiday. The new members are asked to be at the clubhouse roughly at 6:30pm on the night of application. The membership meeting starts at 7pm sharp. No members will be accepted outside of the membership meetings.

Membership costs
    FEES: Checks or Money Order Only
    Primary Member: Initiation Fee: $ 75.00
    Month of Application: January - December – Dues: $ 50.00
    Associate Member- No Initiation Fee; Dues - $ 15.00 , Junior Members are free.
    associate member=spouse

also just posted, kind of a bummer, but : no new members till the march 27th 2022 membership renewal date. After that should return to "show up to a meeting, pay $125, and enjoy"

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    So since a few of you want to be trolls and not be helpful (I do appreciate those who put some thought into their response),I'll explain a little better. I don't want to walk into a place and there be a 10ft board of rules that aren't common sense shit, common sense rules are like "firearms are to be pointed down range at all times" "firearms are to have bolts locked open if not being fired" "no full auto or mag dumps", "firearms are to be placed on the table while someone is on the range". And I have no issue with a RO sitting there watching to make sure people are not doing stupid shit, I have an issue walking into a place and feeling like someone is watching my every move. What I'm not in favor of is over bearing people standing behind trying to tell me how to shoot, telling me I can't have more then one firearm out at one time,that I can't load up a magazine while I'm waiting for someone to set up their target, that I have to stick a flag down the barrel of my gun every it's not in my hand instead removing the mag and locking open the bolt like I've always done, that I have to walk 10ft away from my firearm everytime some wants to put out a target. I'm not throwing caution to the wind,I just simply want a simple easy shooting experience where I don't have to worry about the which one of the 20+ rules I may have forgotten to follow, where in reality there should be about 7 rules being followed, most of which I already stated.And I'm also aware there are new shooters and there are high insurance premiums for places like this because of idiots, I'm not making an argument against that, but that is what a range officer should be for,when they see someone doing unsafe things, they stop and either correct them or ask them to leave. Not to count how many times I've fired in one minute, when I'm not firing in rapid succession. And to those "making fun" of me wanting to shoot clay pots,empty cans, water jugs, watermelons,etc obviously you haven't shot something that actually reacts when you hit it, there's a satisfaction that comes along with it that you simply don't get with paper.
    Now that I've gotten my rant out of the way, thank you to those that actually put some effort (or at least didn't smack your face into the key board and call it a response) into your replies. Maybe I am asking to much considering the times and the area, as I said we use to go to Sleepy Creek range before they shutdown and it was very laxed, free, and no one to real tell you what or how to shoot, and if you were doing something unsafe, others around you would speak up and show you the right way. I'm just looking for someplace I can shoot steel or empty cans or big pieces of produce,etc that isn't ridiculously expensive, that keeps more to the basic rules of shooting,not counting how many rounds I've fired (so long as I didn't just do a mag dump). Or even better if someone knows anyone that has land they let people shoot on or would allow a small range to be set up on. We tend to be very understanding and respectful of ranges, often sweeping up brass and trash from the shooting stations that others have left behind, and we are very cautious of our firearms, as I said if it's not in my hands,the mag is out and the bolt is open, if the bolts closed then the safety is on. I do appreciate the links and info that was posted and will start checking those out shortly.

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Very much appreciate this, I'm going to check them out when I have a little more time because this looks to be the type of place I'm looking for. Maybe I can't shoot like water jugs and cantaloupes but steel is just as good and you don't have to replace it as often. The only thing I'd be worried about is traveling across state lines with guns and ammo in the trunk/back seat, depending on the vehicle we take.

Didn't know they blocked it, but

Private sporting club located in south central Pennsylvania. Prospective new members must attend a membership meeting to turn in the application, be voted in , and issued their official membership card. The club is located at 1930 Adair Rd Windsor PA 17366. Membership meetings are help January through November on the first Monday of the month so long as that does not fall on a holiday. The new members are asked to be at the clubhouse roughly at 6:30pm on the night of application. The membership meeting starts at 7pm sharp. No members will be accepted outside of the membership meetings.

Membership costs
    FEES: Checks or Money Order Only
    Primary Member: Initiation Fee: $ 75.00
    Month of Application: January - December – Dues: $ 50.00
    Associate Member- No Initiation Fee; Dues - $ 15.00 , Junior Members are free.
    associate member=spouse

also just posted, kind of a bummer, but : no new members till the march 27th 2022 membership renewal date. After that should return to "show up to a meeting, pay $125, and enjoy"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom