• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Looking for a communist state legal (no pistol grip) semi-auto 7.62/308 rifle. Is there an Ares SCR-esque version of the AR-10?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    5.56 Blaster has the best solution, of course.

You can get a .308 Garand from the CMP. Fine rifle, and because it has a standard Garand non-detachable 8 round internal magazine, it's very ban-resistant.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

RM1308SPECIAL

CMP Special (.308) M1 Garand.
    This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. Receiver may have pitting. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber. $1030.00
    Free Shipping

Meanwhile, Shuff's can set you up with a .308 Garand converted to use 20 round box magazines. You supply the rifle, of course. He can also rebarrel any Garand in .308. (Actually, pretty much anyone can rebarrel a Garand, which is all it take to convert to .308.)

http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/m1-garand/

Mag-Fed conversion $400-800

Everybody loves the “ping” sound of an enbloc clip ejecting, but let’s face it; 8 rounds isn’t much to work with by today’s standards. I can convert your Garand to accept M-14 magazines, and rebarrel it for .308 so you get the quality of a GI receiver and the function of a slightly more modern rifle.

If you want to go all out, and you have the bucks, check out his Mini-G .308 with box magazine conversion.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Look for the completely MD legal Polytech M14. Built exactly like the M1A with machinery bought from Springfield. Don't ask me why it's legal and the M1A isn't.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Look for the completely MD legal Polytech M14. Built exactly like the M1A with machinery bought from Springfield. Don't ask me why it's legal and the M1A isn't.

The Polytech is legal in Maryland because the parts don't interchange with an M14, thus it's not a "copy."

But the OP lives in D.C. for some odd reason.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The Polytech is legal in Maryland because the parts don't interchange with an M14, thus it's not a "copy."

But the OP lives in D.C. for some odd reason.

Care to tell me what parts don't interchange that a gun owner would worry about?

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    M1A is fine in DC, but I was hoping there was an AR-10 lower out there without a pistol grip, similar to the Ares SCR for the AR-15 platform.

Leaning towards a Savage 10 FCP-SR as this point. The price is right with the 100 dollar rebate they are running.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

Ive heard good and bad and the finish is usually terrible but its about all we can have. The receivers were strong steel.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I'll let you shoot mine and you won't notice the difference between the 2.

The only gripe other than finish I have run into is that some don't headspace, not sure if this is true or not and haven't experienced it myself (don't have one!). I generally found Chinese guns to be exceptionally well built up until the last years when they were rushing to export as much as they could.

Love to try one someday, with prices sitting around $1k if you are lucky I haven't taken the leap.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The only thing I'd recommend is to buy a heel stamped Polytech. They seem to be made much better. I have a USGI bolt, Springfield commercial trigger and match flash suppressor on mine, it also sits in a nice USGI M14 stock.

There is nothing wrong with them. This is my second one. I mistakenly sold my first one years ago. Bad mistake.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Wait...:confused: the OP lives where he can buy an M1A, but doesn't want to?:facepalm:

Sounds like a "First world problems" entry to me...

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Check out Atlantic Arms, they make California legal ARs and AKs. Although you may not be interested, Quantico Tactical has some pretty good deals on Springfield M1as.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom