Buying a pre '64 Winchester '94. What's a fair price?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    This brings back memories. When I was working in the fire department we had a fire in Jacksonville maybe 30 years ago. The house was owned by a lawyer who apparently collected Winchester lever actions. He had glass wall cases lining his office full of old guns. It was the most amazing display of firearms I'd ever seen outside of a museum.

Anybody know the name of this guy?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Is that a good thing? Was it done that way from the factory? I paid $895.

As I understand it was a factory option. I have seen a lot of them drilled and tapped for the peep sight.

That is a beautiful old rifle. I think you did well at $895. It will never depreciate.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I've got a Henry Big Boy 44, a JM marked Marlin in .357. This will complete my lever collection in 30/30.

Beautiful rifle, but I do take exception to the above statement.
    You can't stop now! There are plenty of lever action rifles you need to get. You MUST have a Savage 99!

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    IF I had been in the market for a .30/30, I would have been all over that, like stink on poop.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice find!!!!!!!!!!! Sure looks good to me! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you! I was a little worried, because no one else bid on it. But, I'm very excited to get it.

Finally look at the pics from a computer in the morning. The larger shots look nice! :thumbsup: Better than the condition of my 1938 Model 94 (which was initially dated using inaccurate Winchester resources to 1941 but this online tool indicates is a 1938, explanation here and here). The wood is possibly upgraded too.

I'm tempted to put mine up for valuation there, but need to take better pics first. It looks pretty similar but is in better condition than this one from 1938 (also misidentified to be from 1940), suggesting that I got a deal (which is probably easier to find for guns in the very good condition range vs higher categories).

Btw, I saw the GunBroker ad in which you bought yours, and double checked the serial number (with the same tool), and it checks out as a 1963.

Below are some pics of a couple of the last pre-64 Model 94s ... real beauties (enhanced by great photography) with grade 3 wood ... note the serial numbers relative to yours too ...

(from: http://www.pbase.com/stusmithphoto/antique_firearms ; Stuart Smith photographer)

115909355.F9ywxNyy.TwinMdl94Winchesters5647.jpg

115909354.aDlXabzW.TwinMdl94Winchesters5609.jpg

115909358.3ntTWIBD.TwinMdl94Winchesters5708.jpg

115909361.hKKEpljR.TwinMdl94Winchesters5723.jpg

Thanks! I had to check on 2 different sights to confirm that it was a '63. You think my wood is upgraded?
    As I understand it was a factory option. I have seen a lot of them drilled and tapped for the peep sight.

That is a beautiful old rifle. I think you did well at $895. It will never depreciate.

Cool! Thanks!
    Beautiful rifle, but I do take exception to the above statement.
    You can't stop now! There are plenty of lever action rifles you need to get. You MUST have a Savage 99!

:innocent0:thumbsup:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    ... You think my wood is upgraded?

While I'm not in the league of JimBob when it comes to Winchesters, I've now collected a fair bit, and carefully looked at larger numbers at gun stores (especially Model 94s). There are definitely different gradations in wood quality - and this could reflect differences when ordering, such as with a more deluxe model that had a clear upgrade (which your receiver does) and Winchester included a prouder wood with more obvious tiger striping. Currently, one can order Winchester/Browning rifles with Grade 1, 2, 3, and possibly higher wood (mentioned in passing here). These three grades, as defined by the manufacturer, in are my collection.

Of the pics that I posted above, the backstory is that purchaser requested a higher grade wood. Looks to be as nice or nicer than my Grade 3 wood. No surprise as he was getting a true collector's pair. The wood in your pics looks better than what I've gotten that's been designated Grade 1, and with a little cleaning and light buffing or oiling, is going to look beautiful.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    While I'm not in the league of JimBob when it comes to Winchesters, I've now collected a fair bit, and carefully looked at larger numbers at gun stores (especially Model 94s). There are definitely different gradations in wood quality - and this could reflect differences when ordering, such as with a more deluxe model that had a clear upgrade (which your receiver does) and Winchester included a prouder wood with more obvious tiger striping. Currently, one can order Winchester/Browning rifles with Grade 1, 2, 3, and possibly higher wood. These three grades, as defined by the manufacturer, in are my collection.

Of the pics that I posted above, the backstory is that purchaser requested a higher grade wood. Looks to be as nice or nicer than my Grade 3 wood. No surprise as he was getting a true collector's pair. The wood in your pics looks better than what I've gotten that's been designated Grade 1, and with a little cleaning and light buffing or oiling, is going to look beautiful.
    I believe those 2 are the very last pre 64's made. Who ever has that collection, is one lucky person.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I promise, when it gets here, I will. What's the best treatment of the stock? I have that Renaissance wax. Or, is linseed oil better? I always barricade the metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom