Why police shouldn't use Glocks (LA Times article)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Glocks were first and highest profile, but the same principles apply to most striker fired pistols.

AD's happen. They have and will happen with everything that is, was, or will be used. Happened with revolvers, happened with flintlocks, will happen in the future with 40 watt plasma rifles.

Specific Glock factors : The black plastic container the pistol comes in from the factory is implied by Glock, and generally considered to be a suitable container in which to store said pistol. The plastic prong intended to go thru the trigger gaurd requires the trigger to be pulled first. By shear odds of numbers, there will be pistols with a round still in the chamber having the trigger pulled in order to put it away. Likewise needing to pull the trigger to disassemble ( not unique to Glock ) . These types of "administrative AD's" will be recorded in the stastics of large LE agencies.

The "on the street" AD's caused by startle, sympathetic hand tightening, wrong pressure points being impacted, etc are probably not signifigently differnt from striker fired semis generally. The same factors occur with the use of DA revolvers, and have also resulted in ADs with them. Could hairs be split and say that X% of instances resulted in having an unintended finger movement of .xy of an inch with 9lb of force , that would not have fired with a DA revolver which would have needed (.xy times 2) movement with 11lb of force ? You could probably cherry pick a couple, but generally a sympathetic movement, or one triggered by nerve impact would have the whole hand clench with considerable force.

You could say by strickly percentages, that ADs increased both with MPD locally, and nationwide generally after the transition from DA revolvers to Glocks ( and striker guns generally) , but the numbers still round to *very few* with either.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    I like the Glock safety, but it is not idiot proof. We are all idiots at some point.
    Pro - It positively will not go off if dropped.
    Con - I have a 25 year Law Enforcement college who shot the tip off his offhand index finger while holstering his Glock with his trigger finger in the trigger guard.
    Not poking fun at your friend, but the bolded part sticks out to me.

Positively will not go off if you don't pull the trigger either.

this whole thing is a victim of overthink.

My .02
    ^^ This

Pull the trigger, gun goes off. Whodathunkit.
    ^ And this.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Glock's trigger is a thing of simple beauty(and most other modern polyframes). It will fire only when the trigger is pulled, and will fire every time the trigger is pulled. Outside of an exceedingly rare mechanical issue, the only way the pistol will fire inadvertently is by negligence.

Feb 28, 2013
    Glock makes a quality product that sells like hot cakes, therefore they need to be taught a lesson in political correctness.:rolleyes:

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    In those 2 cases mentioned, assuming a firearm with a safety, wouldn't the user have deactivated the safety by that point anyway? If so, then this whole argument is moot. As for me:

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Glock's trigger is a thing of simple beauty(and most other modern polyframes). It will fire only when the trigger is pulled, and will fire every time the trigger is pulled. Outside of an exceedingly rare mechanical issue, the only way the pistol will fire inadvertently is by negligence.

Agreed.

The story would read he same by inserting S&W, Ruger, Beretta, etc. if they dominated LE market.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    So they use stats that are over 30 years old from a time the weapon was first adopted......that tells me right there no need to read because the research is like the training old.

I can present anything as fact
    Maybe you guys should go back to revolvers, LOL

Oh wait no external safety just a trigger pull. Nope revolvers won't do either. ;)

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Glocks were first and highest profile, but the same principles apply to most striker fired pistols.

AD's happen. They have and will happen with everything that is, was, or will be used. Happened with revolvers, happened with flintlocks, will happen in the future with 40 watt plasma rifles.

Specific Glock factors : The black plastic container the pistol comes in from the factory is implied by Glock, and generally considered to be a suitable container in which to store said pistol. The plastic prong intended to go thru the trigger gaurd requires the trigger to be pulled first. By shear odds of numbers, there will be pistols with a round still in the chamber having the trigger pulled in order to put it away. Likewise needing to pull the trigger to disassemble ( not unique to Glock ) . These types of "administrative AD's" will be recorded in the stastics of large LE agencies.

The "on the street" AD's caused by startle, sympathetic hand tightening, wrong pressure points being impacted, etc are probably not signifigently differnt from striker fired semis generally. The same factors occur with the use of DA revolvers, and have also resulted in ADs with them. Could hairs be split and say that X% of instances resulted in having an unintended finger movement of .xy of an inch with 9lb of force , that would not have fired with a DA revolver which would have needed (.xy times 2) movement with 11lb of force ? You could probably cherry pick a couple, but generally a sympathetic movement, or one triggered by nerve impact would have the whole hand clench with considerable force.

You could say by strickly percentages, that ADs increased both with MPD locally, and nationwide generally after the transition from DA revolvers to Glocks ( and striker guns generally) , but the numbers still round to *very few* with either.
    Glock doesn't use that box anymore for new pistols. I do have several of those boxes though.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Yep!

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Having to state the obvious (i.e., keep your finger away from the trigger (on the frame) until the target's been sighted and you're ready to shoot) simply highlights the fact that many in LE aren't properly trained in the safe use of [their] firearms. And this only adds to the frustration some have when having to face liberal idiots whose auto-retort to the right to carry is always "Just call 911 and let the police protect you." Oy veh.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Not sure how the startle and grasp reflex is only a danger to Glocks. Of course there are going to be statistically more ND's by police with Glocks because they hold far more of the police market share than anyone else.

In my opinion it's a stupid article and I would be ashamed to put my name on it. I especially like the part trying to blame Glock for an officer getting killed because his training partner didn't check the chamber for empty.

Feb 28, 2013
    Not sure how the startle and grasp reflex is only a danger to Glocks. Of course there are going to be statistically more ND's by police with Glocks because they hold far more of the police market share than anyone else.

But nobody with an agenda is about to let that little detail get in the way of a "good" story. :rolleyes:

In my opinion it's a stupid article and I would be ashamed to put my name on it. I especially like the part trying to blame Glock for an officer getting killed because his training partner didn't check the chamber for empty.

WE know it's stupid, yes. But unfortunately anything capable of putting a chink in the armor of the ones who sell the most fow-tays is as good as gold. :sad20:

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    tvblogmyaa.png

But isn't their argument based on the false assumption that LEO's don't immediately disengage the safety on any other gun after it's drawn?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom