Ruger American with a Redfield scope. Inputs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I purchased a Ruger American Compact in .308 late last year. It wore a Redfield Revenge Accu-Ranger. Sold the whole rig and put the money toward a Ruger GSR that now wears a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 Accu-Range. Although a bit pricier package, I prefer this set-up. All in all, Ruger Americans and Redfield Revolutions go together like PB&J.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Finally got mine out to the range on Saturday. Was amazed at the accuracy with a range of factory loads. Was easily able to get good data with several powders.

However, has anyone struggled with the magazine? I had loads of difficulty getting the magazine to rotate the next road so the bolt could pick it up. If I ejected the magazine and pulled on the backside, it would rotate the round into place (happened with all factory and usually every other on my handloads). After 100 rounds looks like the issue cleared itself but was/is still worrisome for a potential hunting rifle.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Have not heard of any problems with the mags - interesting. I would be concerned with having such a light rifle with a fairly powerful cartridge. I have a Savage 10 with a wood stock - it's a full pound heavier that the American and it has a nice kick to it. Maybe the American has a better butt pad. I have a new butt pad that is going on mine, but I would be curious if you found the recoil to be a bit much at that weight??

That being said - I would love to get a compact stainless steel barrel American in 223 or 22-250.

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Just, what rifle would you buy in .308? I have several rifles on my list.

I wa nt one nice hunting rifle but I am open to suggestions. My buddy suggested but an AR10 in .308. rifles on my list.

Sako A7 (I am kinda partial to Sak
    Rem 700
    Savage 110
    Weatherby mark V
    Brown X-Bolt

there are a couple older WWII rifles I like but I don't have a lot of knowledge on them.

Suggestions.
    Yeah OI know everyone wabt to ask what to buy, must asking for suggestions. Sure would be a lot easier if they had a range at the shows and you could try them.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Bruppert,

The Browning A-Bolt is a fantastic rifle and can be had for less than 600 bucks. And the stock doesn't look like an injection mold monkey gun with raised surfaces everywhere.

The X-Bolt allows you to raise the bolt handle and extract/eject a round with the safety still engaged, but does have a monkey gun stock.

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I got the free cheekrest by mailing in a post card that was in the box when I bought it. (and by mailing in I mean there was an option to register online and I just did it online :D)

So how has everyone's experience with the rifle been? Clyde was tell me how well the response has been and he highly recc. the rifle and also recc. a nice Leupold scope wto complete ith it. I was thinking of getting one in .308 but was also wondering what calibur people recc.? I know that's subjective. I don't really plan to hunt big game but if I do I want something that's not going to leave me wanting for some thing more.

Or should I learn more towards Sako, Browning, Rem., etc....

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    So how has everyone's experience with the rifle been? Clyde was tell me how well the response has been and he highly recc. the rifle and also recc. a nice Leupold scope wto complete ith it. I was thinking of getting one in .308 but was also wondering what calibur people recc.? I know that's subjective. I don't really plan to hunt big game but if I do I want something that's not going to leave me wanting for some thing more.

I have the Ruger American in 270 and love it.:thumbsup:

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010

.308win is a great hunting round.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Have not heard of any problems with the mags - interesting. I would be concerned with having such a light rifle with a fairly powerful cartridge. I have a Savage 10 with a wood stock - it's a full pound heavier that the American and it has a nice kick to it. Maybe the American has a better butt pad. I have a new butt pad that is going on mine, but I would be curious if you found the recoil to be a bit much at that weight??

That being said - I would love to get a compact stainless steel barrel American in 223 or 22-250.

I didn't really notice the recoil (though I was wearing two layers), ran through a box of factory then was testing two different powders. After around 100 shots I called it as it was starting to become noticeable.

That said, a max charge of RE15 was definitely noticeable vs the lower weight charges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom