If you could only have one revolver, which one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If I could only have one, I would look for a way to change the rules. Every one that you mentioned would serve you well. Out of the ones you mentioned, if I could only have one, it would be the Model 29.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    Like this one?

Glock-Revolver-21R.jpg

Exactly.

Someday my dream will come true....

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Trigger feel is definitely important. What other wheelie guns do you have?

Only a Super Redhawk which I'm not crazy about mostly because the S&W trigger is just so much nicer. I have a few dozen guns of various sorts and the S&W has the best trigger of them all. I don't know if all the 686's are like mine or I just got lucky.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'd be torn between a Ruger GP100 or S&W 617. I love the GP100 because it serves multiple purposes but I'd probably lean towards the 617 because of how great it shoots and how awesome the trigger feels. I have started a lot of people into the shooting sport with my 617.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    1) GP-100, 6", blued and then buy the old grips with the rosewood inserts.

2) Ruger Blackhawk convertible in either .357/ 9mm or .45acp/ .45lc

3) Ruger Single-Six convertible in .22lr/ .22WMR

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    586 if you want blued

I'm also a huge model 19 fan (haven't found one just yet though)

Or colt trooper

(I like the S&W better but my colt is very nice)

I have more revolvers than I know what to do give me a holler if you want to try a few.

IMG_20130902_195935_zpsb3168917.jpg
    Nice collection. My first gun was a Trooper mark something? Great pistol.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    In current production, 586 without a doubt, It is just about a perfect match with full power 357, large and strong enough that it can handle the power, but not so large that it is unwieldy, or better suited to a more powerful caliber. The trigger is great, balance, fit and finish are great, pretty much the standard all others are judged by. The only question would be 4" or 6", they both have their benefits. A 4" points quicker, moves quicker, and is a ton easier to draw if it will ever see a holster, best for fast shooting or action games. A 6" is slower, more precise, the longer sight radius helps at longer ranges, as does the 100-200fps greater velocity, better suited for longer range targets or hunting.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Don't forget some folks love the S&W 625 in .45 cal ACP with moon clips. I think its an IDPA favorite. I almost picked up one a few months ago but collectors/competitors have pushed the price way up.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I've decided that the next gun purchase, is going to be a revolver. There are a few that I am interested in, but, would love some advice. So, my question is, if you could only have one revolver, which one would you pick? I like S&W, Colt and Ruger. I also like classic blue. Not much on stainless or nickel finish. I would love to have a Python, but, it's way out of my budget. I'm leaning towards a model 29, 586 or a GP100. I'd also love to have the "Dirty Harry" gun, but, since I already own a few .38's, a .44 wouldn't be an economically sound decision. ( I have a butt load of .38 rounds) I like the looks of the 586, but, I like the price of the GP100. I don't know, what do you all think? Is there something else out there that I haven't mentioned? Something around $800 or less? This will not be a carry weapon. Target and collection only.

Seems from your post like you might not presently own a .357 Magnum. If that's the case, I'd personally take the Smith Model 29 off the list for now, and concentrate on adding a good .357 to your collection. A good .357 is arguably the most versatile revolver chambering ever manufactured. If you don't own one, I'd stop right here and add one.

Both the Ruger GP100 and the SW586 are excellent revolvers. I own both, I like both, they both have their features and their benefits, and I wouldn't want to part with either. But for me, I'd have to part with the Ruger before I parted with the Smith. You ideally should shoot or rent an example of each to really get a feel for the differences inherent to each. But if you don't or can't do that for whatever reason, you can't go very wrong with choosing either revolver IMO.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    20 years ago I was making this choice and it came down to a toss-up between the GP-100 and 686. I ended up going with the 686 and was completely happy with the choice.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I think the $200 price premium over the Ruger is worth it to me. I know there are probably better 1911's out there, but, my first 1911 had to be a colt. I think the same of S&W revolvers. I dont think I would be happy with anything else for my wheel gun. Based on your fine nudges, I think I will hold out for the 586.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I had a 686, i still kick myself once in a while for getting rid of it.
    When i buy another wheel gun it's going to be a coin toss between another 686 and a GP-100

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Only a Super Redhawk which I'm not crazy about mostly because the S&W trigger is just so much nicer. I have a few dozen guns of various sorts and the S&W has the best trigger of them all. I don't know if all the 686's are like mine or I just got lucky.

I love my Super Redhawk but it is stainless and more costly than the OP budget posted. Do you dislike the trigger or just prefer the Smith's? I wouldn't mind fine-tuning the trigger pull so that it was lesser in double action but wouldn't want to mess up the single action break...and don't exactly know how the whole transfer bar mechanism would take to the mods.

My old Security Six in .357mag would fit the bill certainly and allow use of all that extra ammo but it was unfortunately stolen many years back. I've compared it with a S&W .38 detective special snubbie my dd owns but it was truly apples vs. oranges.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The transfer bar has little effect on trigger pull and character. You can get a very smooth, high quality pull with the Rugers.

I am not sure what type of 38's the OP has, but if he is shooting mostly 38's then a 357 Magnum would give him caliber and feature if he chooses an underlug barrel. Going to something like a 44 would give him more diversity than a 357. The 44 Magnum do everything a 357 Magnum can and much more. The 357 falls well short of the 44's performance. The only advantages the 357's guns will have over the 44's are size, and weight (that would be excluding the N frame and Redhawks in 357 Magnum).

So the OP should ask himself (he did list the M-29) does he want cartridge performance or single caliber versitility and a new gun. I do realize larger caliber ammo and reloading tooling costs money. But you want to shoot 357 Magnum loads anyway...

Python related, if one wants a hard use gun, the Python is not it. Not just cost, it's mechanical longevity doesn't hold a candle to a Ruger or Smith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom