• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    even though the "bushmaster" rifle was on the regulated list., MSP allowed Bushmaster HBARS to be sold as cash n carry.
    i expect this is still the case.

Unfortunately, no, and we asked more than once.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Look at it on the bright side.... Maryland is keeping POS rifles out of your hands. :eek:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Is the government allowed to make laws favoring one company over another based solely on name? I guess Bushmaster has to be the one to sue.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I bet it was a new hire that didn't know better

MSP appears to be taking the position that ANY semiautomatic rifle or handgun manufactured by Bushmaster is banned as either an Assault Long Gun or Assault Pistol.

It makes no sense, and is wrong. The lists are of specific/specified firearms, and models were produced with those names. It may take a court case or other challenge to fix it.

Here is the rifle:
    http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=222400

Here is the pistol:
    Bushmaster-closeup_zps34d2fa58.png
    [/URL]

ETA: Joe, does that mean you would do a transfer for one of the HBARs listed in this thread?

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    MSP appears to be taking the position that ANY semiautomatic rifle or handgun manufactured by Bushmaster is banned as either an Assault Long Gun or Assault Pistol.

It makes no sense, and is wrong. The lists are of specific/specified firearms, and models were produced with those names. It may take a court case or other challenge to fix it.

Here is the rifle:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=222400

Here is the pistol:

Bushmaster-closeup_zps34d2fa58.png
    [/URL]

By that same logic, only Colt HBAR Sporters are legal (no other brand). I've yet to see a letter from
    MSP on the matter. The "Bushmaster Semi-Auto Rifle" is not an AR15, nor made by Bushmaster.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    By that same logic, only Colt HBAR Sporters are legal (no other brand). I've yet to see a letter from
    MSP on the matter. The "Bushmaster Semi-Auto Rifle" is not an AR15, nor made by Bushmaster.

Actually, their logic is even more strained than that. It would be the same thing if there were a company named "P.A.W.S." that produced rifles. Under the MSP's logic, any carbine manufactured by any company named "P.A.W.S." would be a banned Assault Long Gun.

The Bushmaster Rifle was manufactured by Gwinn firearms, and then Bushmaster Firearms as the "Bushmaster Assault Rifle". It is nothing like an AR15. The MSP is not making any sense on this one.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I bet it was a new hire that didn't know better

Not going to name drop, but the persons I spoke with have both worked there for quite some time, anyway, given the current policy on HBARs, I'm not rocking the boat over a single exclusion.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    Not going to name drop, but the persons I spoke with have both worked there for quite some time, anyway, given the current policy on HBARs, I'm not rocking the boat over a single exclusion.

Probably the same person that I spoke to today that said the same thing.

Feb 28, 2013
    I would, but the only FFL close to me is notorious for being a ***** and knows less about the law than most NON-FFL holders.

You must live near Rick's Gun and Pawn.:lol2:

The Bushmaster Rifle was manufactured by Gwinn firearms, and then Bushmaster Firearms as the "Bushmaster Assault Rifle". It is nothing like an AR15. The MSP is not making any sense on this one.

I believe this was the original regulated Bushie...

images

...certainly not this, the one I have.:facepalm:

images

I dunno what dumbass can't tell one of those from the other.:sad20:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The problem isn't just HBARs, it's whether you can buy the M17S or ACR. I'd love to hear the logical contortion that would result in three completely different rifles being the same "model" of a particular gun.

AGs office and MSP it seems.
    I don't know if the AG's office has weighed in. This would be a particularly good question to get them on the record with, especially if written in the form of "Does the Bushmaster rifle on the assault long guns list refer to the Gwinn Firearms Bushmaster rifle?"

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    A senior trooper at firearms registration confirmed to me in writing that ALL Bushmaster semi auto rifles are banned.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think that would be an easy win in court, but if Bushmaster doesn't care to pursue it, why should we care?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom