• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    What is the easiest and best way to zero a scope. I got a new TASCO 9X scope for my 30.06 Remington. Any suggestions. I usually go to the range and go by the old trial and error, then adjust and try again method.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most scopes come with the adjustments centered, you want to mount the scope so it boresights as well as possible before any adjustments. You align the rings, make adjustments or shim/file the base, then bed the base, lap the rings level the scope, set eye relief, and torque it all. A decent base should be pretty close out of the box, you can boresight with an optical tool, laser, or even sighting through the barrel from the breech and comparing to the scope. You want to know the trajectory of your desired load, and where you want to adjust to, either something that will be + or - a couple inches out to 200 or more yards, or something a bit more precise to a given range.

I fire a group of 3 shots from a rest, usually 100 yards, go by the center of the group, then turn the number of clicks needed to center it, then another 3 to verify 0. Most scope adjustments are more consistent near center, and don't shift as muchwhen zoomed, basically the reason to take your time to sight in the base, and fine tune with the scope, although better scopes are usually more precise throughout the range. Once it is right adjusting is easy, if each click is 1/4" at 100 yards, and say the group centers 3" right and 2" high, go 12 clicks left and 8 clicks down, and it should be in the center of the bullseye.

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Thanka Alu!

Thanks Alu!

Most scopes come with the adjustments centered, you want to mount the scope so it boresights as well as possible before any adjustments. You align the rings, make adjustments or shim/file the base, then bed the base, lap the rings level the scope, set eye relief, and torque it all. A decent base should be pretty close out of the box, you can boresight with an optical tool, laser, or even sighting through the barrel from the breech and comparing to the scope. You want to know the trajectory of your desired load, and where you want to adjust to, either something that will be + or - a couple inches out to 200 or more yards, or something a bit more precise to a given range.

I fire a group of 3 shots from a rest, usually 100 yards, go by the center of the group, then turn the number of clicks needed to center it, then another 3 to verify 0. Most scope adjustments are more consistent near center, and don't shift as muchwhen zoomed, basically the reason to take your time to sight in the base, and fine tune with the scope, although better scopes are usually more precise throughout the range. Once it is right adjusting is easy, if each click is 1/4" at 100 yards, and say the group centers 3" right and 2" high, go 12 clicks left and 8 clicks down, and it should be in the center of the bullseye.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

...nerd

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Alucard gave a great explanation. Also, once you shoot your first shots, you can keep your rifle centered on the bullseye then adjust your scope to center where your shots landed. Then do fine adjustments after firing your next 3 shot group.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    If you have a sled or bags where you can keep the rifle stationary you can use the "one shot zero" method. Quick and easy. Bore sight, load, fire. Adjust crosshairs to center of impact. Fire again to check zero. Don't move the rifle between shots.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    What is the easiest and best way to zero a scope. I got a new TASCO 9X scope for my 30.06 Remington. Any suggestions. I usually go to the range and go by the old trial and error, then adjust and try again method.

Starting with something better than a Tasco seems to be a good way to actually zero a scope.

Unless you need a lot of practice zeroing. Then a Tasco makes a PHENOMENAL investment.

JayCorleone

MD by way of GA
    Jan 22, 2012
    Boonsboro
    Just follow the information posted and ignore ferret, I think he's impotent. He never contributes, just trolls. Tasco does suck, nothing wrong with using what you have until you can afford better. Enjoy the shooting.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I often find it easiest to boresight, then fire a single shot at the 25 yard target. There's no offset for windage like there is for elevation at various distances, so I measure the left/right error in inches, multiply by 4 (obtaining the equivalent 100 yard error), then adjust the scope the required number of clicks to zero for windage.

Elevation; as a rough rule of thumb, your bullet should hit the 25 yard target low, by half the distance beween the centerlines of your bore and your scope. Adjust your elevation by the number of clicks needed to zero it on this low point, remembering to multiply the offset by 4, as you did for windage.

After making these adjustments, your next shot at 25 yards should be almost bang-on in windage; in elevation, it should hit low by half the bore/scope offset as described above. If it's close, the third shot should hit a 50 yard target close to dead center. Being dead-on at 50 yards usually puts you an inch or so high at 100 yards, and a couple of inches low at 200 yards, with most centerfire calibers. I think of a 50 yard zero as a good "jumping off point" for fine-tuning a scope at longer ranges.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Try the following method that I learned from some folks here:

1. Set the rifle on a lead sled or sandbags so that it is stable without having to hold it.
    2. Take the bolt out of the rifle.
    3. Look down the barel and line up the target in the center of the bore.
    4. Replace the bolt.
    5. Adjust your turrets until the crosshairs are centered on the bullseye.

This should get you on paper at least, if you do it right.

Worked for me at 100 yards no problem. I didn't mess around at 25/50 yards.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    SEARCH is your friend:

From a thread still on the main page of Rifles, here:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=138246

No bore sighter needed.

Put the rifle up on bags with the bolt out. Adjust the rifle until looking down the bore, the target is centered in the bore. Without moving the rifle, adjust the scope so that the cross hairs are on the target.

Fire ONE round. Adjust rifle on the bags until the cross hairs are on the center of the target again. With moving the rifle, adjust the cross hairs to the bullet hole.

Fire one round. It should be pretty much dead center.

I do this at 25 yards, then move to 100 yards or desired range and adjust for the proper zero.

JayCorleone

MD by way of GA
    Jan 22, 2012
    Boonsboro
    OP check the thread I started in rifles, tons of good info from contributors, once you skip over ferret's post.

Secondly, I see you still feel some kind of way, maybe your frag diaper is too tight, I too will be PMing you. Ferret, the internet is funsies

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    My own thoughts are not to be so quick to dismiss the Chinese made scopes any more. I work with a lot of wholesale sales in the firearms industry and have watched the quality of Chinese scopes climb steadily over the past couple of years. Now don't get me wrong, there is still plenty of bottom of the barrel stuff out there, and I won't mention names. But with the companies who are willing to spend just a little bit more, pay attention to QC, and deal with better factories over there, it's becoming downright scary how good some of the Chinese-made optics are becoming for their prices. While they may not be the high end US made brands, some of the good ones are getting pretty close at maybe a third or less of the price. I'm not saying that's necessarily a good thing, but it is the way things seem to be going.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    LOL

LOL. Yeah, that selfish prick has never helped groups of strangers, esp at his own house with his own tools. Nope, he'd never do things like that.

Careful; Jay's feelers are easily hurt. Don't wanna see you get reported. :lol2:

Frankly, I'm happy he spews his vitriol and has formed an opinion based on two posts on the internet.

one less person I have to open my home to when they need gratis firearms help.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I broke a Tasco a few years ago, after using it on a Ruger Mini-14 after a couple thousand rounds. Not my first choice for long term longevity, but if this is a hunting rifle, I don't think you'll really reach that many rounds with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom