• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Here's a SB 281 litmus test for you:

I have an under 18 son who wants to deer hunt on junior hunt day. If he is in my presence and is supervised by me as a legal permitted hunter, can he use my AR, since its recoil is negligible (with a mag loaded with 8 rounds or fewer, and honestly, I'm thinking 2). Its a 6.8 so we don't have to do the muzzle energy debate.

Where/how does MD DNR define "posession" of a regulated?

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    I don't think there is anything against deer hunting with an AR in the western counties, but it's probably not the best caliber for deer. You can't use full metal jacketed rounds. The bigger issue is that youth hunt days are limited to hunters 16 and under. An 18 year old can't hunt as a youth.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    The laws don't specify anything about what gun the Youth uses, however, I'd pick another gun. My Nephew has been hunting with his 20 Gauge slug gun for the past 4 years. He's 15 now, so, I'm not sure how negligible you need the recoil for an under 18 year old. You only have three counties in which you can use that gun in Maryland anyway.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Its a legal gun where I hunt, I had suspected the recoil would be less due to the buffer
    ( and I of course have SP ammo) than the 20 gauge. Looks like we need another range day before then.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Yes legally he can, and I personally think a 6.8 round (soft point of course) is a good round for eastern Whitetail. Good Luck!

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    The laws don't specify anything about what gun the Youth uses, however, I'd pick another gun. My Nephew has been hunting with his 20 Gauge slug gun for the past 4 years. He's 15 now, so, I'm not sure how negligible you need the recoil for an under 18 year old. You only have three counties in which you can use that gun in Maryland anyway.

Of the 23 counties in MD, Rifles are prohibited for deer completely in 12 counties and in parts of 2 counties. That leaves 9 counties you can use a rifle in at your leisure and two more where you can in some places, but not in others. That's 11 counties where you can deer hunt with a rifle, not 3.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Then go for it! I've seen nothing that would prevent him from using your rifle with you next to him.

All of these laws pertain to transfer anyway. Him using your firearm in your presence is not a transfer.

GTK64

Sep 27, 2010

You need to read the hunting book again you can use rifle in 10 counties in Md.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Amazing how many people did not actually answer the question.

The issue with him hunting with your banned AR, is that of "receipt". Receipt is not defined in SB281 and there has been a lot of debate about it in the Maryland 2A forum. Transfer has been defined in Chow v. State of Maryland (2006), but I do not think they dealt with receipt in that case. A copy of the case is attached for your bedside reading pleasure. Your best bet for opinions is to post this question in the Maryland 2A forum. Thing is, you will probably get opinions that are 50/50.

My advice would be why risk it unless it is the only firearm you have to hunt with and you cannot borrow one from somebody else.

Attachments

• Chow v. State, 393 Md. 431, 903 .pdf
      177.8 KB · Views: 68

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Should be no different than him firing it on a range in your presence.
    You are not transferring it to him, he is only shooting it, lots of people on here let their kid shoot their AR.

Red Eye

Feb 17, 2011
    Hanover, Pa.
    According to your original question; NO, he can't hunt with it. Why....it's not about the gun, its because he's 18 and junior hunt days are for 16 or younger.

OK, just re-read your post........you state that you have an UNDER 18 year old; how much under? under 16?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Of the 23 counties in MD, Rifles are prohibited for deer completely in 12 counties and in parts of 2 counties. That leaves 9 counties you can use a rifle in at your leisure and two more where you can in some places, but not in others. That's 11 counties where you can deer hunt with a rifle, not 3.

When did this change ? I didn't realize Region A had expanded.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I found this on the DNR website while looking for some other information. WOW times did change. Use to only be Garrett, Allegheny, and Frederick.

Breech-loading rifles are those that are not loaded from the muzzle and include, but are not limited to, break action, bolt action, pump action, lever action, falling block, and semi-automatic rifles. Breech-loading rifles may not be used to hunt deer in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Charles, Frederick (in that portion of Frederick County lying south of a line beginning at the Washington/Frederick County line at US Rt. 40 and continuing on Rt. 40 east to Harmony Road, proceeding south on Harmony Road to I-70, following I-70 east through Frederick County), Harford, Howard, Kent, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Queen Anne’s, St. Mary’s and Talbot Counties or in Worcester County as follows: (1) within one mile of any school, (2) within that portion of South Point lying south of a line beginning at the west end of the Sinepuxent Bay Bridge on State Rt. 611, then by and with the south side of Rt. 611 to the junction of the South Point Road going south for a distance of 0.6 miles to a point opposite the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club property on the west side of the road, then by the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club to Trappe Creek and (3) within that portion of the land lying south of a line beginning at the mouth of the St. Martin River northwest to the junction with Shingle Landing Road, then by and with the south side of Shingle Landing Road to the junction with State Rt. 113, then by and with the east side of Rt. 113 to the junction with Rt. 589, then by and with the east side of Rt. 589 to the junction with US Rt. 50, then by and with the north side of Rt. 50 to the junction with Assawoman Bay, then by and with the west boundary of Assawoman Bay to the junction with the St. Martin River.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I don't think there is anything against deer hunting with an AR in the western counties, but it's probably not the best caliber for deer. You can't use full metal jacketed rounds. The bigger issue is that youth hunt days are limited to hunters 16 and under. An 18 year old can't hunt as a youth.
    you been drinkin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom