• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Would getting your FL non-resident CCW license exempt you from having to get an HQL?

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    In a word NO - you need a Maryland CCW now that would get you an HQL at no cost - just apply online

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Not saying the CCW would exempt me, but the class and live fire portion along with getting finger printed.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I gave the FL as an example because it requires live fire. Doesn't SB281 allow for different training classes to be substituted for the HQL class as long as you also get your MD law portion?

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    Don't use lOgic when dealing with Maryland gun laws. What you think the common sense thing is is not in Maryland.

None of your Florida stuff is valid.

ron2shel

Oct 22, 2011
    i have carry permit for the state of md. but when going through the app process on msp website it says nothing about having a permit for maryland will get your a hql at no cost. please advise

k9guy

Feb 12, 2011
    i have carry permit for the state of md. but when going through the app process on msp website it says nothing about having a permit for maryland will get your a hql at no cost. please advise

When you get to the part where you actually start filling out the application it tells you that you choose the "exempt" status for individuals with a MD CCW. There is no cost involved and you do not have to get fingerprinted.

Punch84

Mar 29, 2009
    Carroll County
    Training class has to meet the state of Maryland's criteria. Which right now is DNR class or people who have applied to be accepted. Fingerprint requirement will be exempt for the select few. That in itself is part of the lawsuits.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    No but taking the Maryland HQL course with the required live fire would give you the needed course to also apply for the Florida permit.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    If you have a FL permit, would it be safe to assume that you already own a regulated gun in the state of MD? That would exempt you from the training requirement.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Originally Posted by ron2shel View Post

When you get to the part where you actually start filling out the application it tells you that you choose the "exempt" status for individuals with a MD CCW. There is no cost involved and you do not have to get fingerprinted.

Exactly.

When it got to the part where it would normally ask for a CC#, there was no button to click on. It just went right to the next page and said something to the effect of all charges have been applied to my CC. But I never gave them a CC#.

So AFAICS, no charges or fees at all if you already have a CCW. Which, IMHO, there shouldn't be. We've already jumped through the same hoops - and then some - for the state.

Now my question is; if we are "exempt", will we still get some sort of HQL card? Or will we just show our CCW instead to make a purchase?

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Exactly.

When it got to the part where it would normally ask for a CC#, there was no button to click on. It just went right to the next page and said something to the effect of all charges have been applied to my CC. But I never gave them a CC#.

So AFAICS, no charges or fees at all if you already have a CCW. Which, IMHO, there shouldn't be. We've already jumped through the same hoops - and then some - for the state.

Now my question is; if we are "exempt", will we still get some sort of HQL card? Or will we just show our CCW instead to make a purchase?

You'll still get a card. I think the site was so poorly arranged that they couldn't fit another category in there so they lumped us with the exempt choice because in the future the app for ccw will have a check box requesting HQL. Of course they haven't considered that a 10yr HQL and 3 yr ccw won't expire at the same times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom