• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Whew! I got chills and goosebumps from those beauties!!! Can't wait until I buy mine :D

I love those grips, too! If I wasn't planning on getting custom OEF grips, I'd definitely drop the 35 for those!

Are those 8 rd mags you have paired with your CMD as well? I know the CMD only ships with 2 7rd mags instead of the 7 rd and 8rd that come with the gov't model. I wasn't sure if the CMD model would fit the 8 rd mags.

They are both full size.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Da-yum. Those look beautiful, plus I'm a total sucker for Rugers, Stainless Steel, and brown leather, so they're like quadruply-beautiful to me.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    This thread just cost me some $$. Beautiful guns I had to order one for myself. Debating if I should order the ambidextrous safety directly from Ruger or a 3rd party.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    So, yeah. I just went out and bought an SR1911 today. I had wanted one for a while, but this thread prompted me to really look before the HQL cutoff. Thanks!

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Been to the range a couple imes since the conversion. Had to file on the slide stop a little because the slide wasn't locking on empty mags.

That issue is fixed. Now I have a problem with one of the thumb safeties. If I squeeze the trigger really hard with the safety on, the hammer moves slightly. When I release the safety, the hammer drops.

I put the stock safety back in and it works fine. I think they might have shaved a little too much off the post. I think I have to buy a new safety. Ugh. I'm gonna take it back up to Bollingers and see if he can fix it.
    I also had a couple fail to feeds. I polished up the extractor and loosened it a bit and that seems to have fixed that issue. Replacing a ton of parts all at once isn't the typical route :)

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Been to the range a couple imes since the conversion. Had to file on the slide stop a little because the slide wasn't locking on empty mags.

That issue is fixed. Now I have a problem with one of the thumb safeties. If I squeeze the trigger really hard with the safety on, the hammer moves slightly. When I release the safety, the hammer drops.

I put the stock safety back in and it works fine. I think they might have shaved a little too much off the post. I think I have to buy a new safety. Ugh. I'm gonna take it back up to Bollingers and see if he can fix it.
    I also had a couple fail to feeds. I polished up the extractor and loosened it a bit and that seems to have fixed that issue. Replacing a ton of parts all at once isn't the typical route :)

I'm taking notes.

What smithing had to be done? Just fitting the aftermarket parts?

RugerFan

Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Spring
    I think your guns are absolutely beautiful (I particularly love those grips!) but I just want to throw out a question, with absolutely no disrespect intended whatsoever:

I am a Ruger fan-boy myself (see my name), but part of what I love about Ruger is their great value for the money spent. When I finally buy a 1911, it will most likely be a Ruger. My question is, though, at a certain point, rather than spend a lot of cash upgrading a Ruger 1911, why not just buy a Kimber or another higher-end 1911?

Again, just a question, really hoping not to offend, but just curious.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I think your guns are absolutely beautiful (I particularly love those grips!) but I just want to throw out a question, with absolutely no disrespect intended whatsoever:

I am a Ruger fan-boy myself (see my name), but part of what I love about Ruger is their great value for the money spent. When I finally buy a 1911, it will most likely be a Ruger. My question is, though, at a certain point, rather than spend a lot of cash upgrading a Ruger 1911, why not just buy a Kimber or another higher-end 1911?

I'm not particularly a 'Ruger Fan', but, IMNSHO, the Ruger is a better pistol than Kimber...... and I don't consider Kimber to be 'high-end'.

I fondled a Ruger 1911 a couple of Saturdays ago, and it was VERY nice!
    (I wouldn't mind owning one, myself.)

YMMV.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave

Love Rugers. American made. sr1911 is my 'ideal' 1911. no front serrations, 70 series, etc.

Don't like Kimber

First firearm I ever shot was a ruger with my dad. First firearm I ever owned was a ruger from my dad.

I bought two to represent me and my dad... stainless conversion was to set them apart from the other sr1911's, and I LOVE stainless.

They ran like clocks before I did this. Again, absolutely unnecessary... and if I was doing it just to have an all stainless gun with upper end parts, you are correct... it would be stupid. but my reasons went beyond that.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    Kimber ???? Where is Lord Chad ? Lol....

I think the SR1911 is as good a gun as some of the higher priced ones, and the OP really just made some changes for visual preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom