• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chewmeista

Mar 26, 2021
    I recently moved down to SOMD, Calvert County and looking to purchase a handgun, thinking of a taurus judge for home defense. I googled gun shops, but the options seem limited and there wasnt many pictures of the actual shops. What places would you recommend? I miss Virginia already, lol.

Busa

Jul 22, 2012
    So. MD
    Not many choices for storefront shops down here. J2 Defense is probably your best choice in Calvert. There are a few more in St Marys to choose from. I have been watching a new home-based shop in Calvert called S and S guns and they have a Judge listed on Gun Broker https://www.gunbroker.com/item/917085420
    Of course, you will have to get your Maryland mandated HQL before purchasing a handgun.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Not many choices for storefront shops down here. J2 Defense is probably your best choice in Calvert. There are a few more in St Marys to choose from. I have been watching a new home-based shop in Calvert called S and S guns and they have a Judge listed on Gun Broker https://www.gunbroker.com/item/917085420
    Of course, you will have to get your Maryland mandated HQL before purchasing a handgun.

S&S are good people I've known them for a long time. JMJ in Charlotte Hall are also good people. J2 I have nothing but good things to say about John the owner but I can't say the same for some of his employees. Plus J2 has gotten crazy on their pricing.

I spent a good bit of money with J2 when they opened and now I've moved on. Just my thoughts.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    This area has a shit ton of shops, including several industry partners.

JmJ firearms and Medusa Munitions are IPs in St Mary's county.

J2 Defense is in Calvert. Flat Broke shooters is a range and shop in st Mary's.

There's probably a half-dozen others worth mentioning, but start there and see if they can get you what you want.

Chewmeista

Mar 26, 2021
    Wow, thank you all for the info. I was able to get my HQL so i should be good to go. I'm also having a hard time finding the pricing for ffl fees in the area.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Be prepared to "pack a lunch" when you want to actually shoot.
    I think Calvert is the only county in MD with NO public or public access private ranges.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Wow, thank you all for the info. I was able to get my HQL so i should be good to go. I'm also having a hard time finding the pricing for ffl fees in the area.

If all you're doing is transferring from an online order, then check out All Pawn in white plains. Their transfer fees used to be the lowest around.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    I recently moved down to SOMD, Calvert County and looking to purchase a handgun, thinking of a taurus judge for home defense. I googled gun shops, but the options seem limited and there wasnt many pictures of the actual shops. What places would you recommend? I miss Virginia already, lol.

There "might" be some information HERE
    :shrug:

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Fun to read "Gym Rats" in the posts. I purchased quite a few from him. No orders, paid cash for what he had on hand. Got some excellent deals, especially on the Rugers. Curious, with the mention, is he back?? Reincarnated? Best deals and great shop, Flat Broke Shooters south of the base in St.Mary's. Long drive but I enjoy the range and have found some real treasures there.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Gym Ratz was great ..... As long as you purchased something that was physically in front of you at the time .

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    JMJ Fireams, Tackle Box, Accurate Guns and Ammo, Medusa Munitions and GLR Enterprises. JMJ and Tackle Box have lots of guns in stock. Tackle Box has a good selection of used guns most of the time. Medusa, GLR and Accurate are great small shops where you get to deal with the owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom