• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I have heard really good things about this ammo so I decided to try and find some to buy and test. The stuff is crazy expensive. Opticsplanet.com has some in stock so I tried to buy a box and in the process was told they do not ship to Maryland. Anyone know why? Anyone know who else has any for sale is locally in A.A. county or online that is not still gouging. Opticsplanet.com it was $21.99 a box of 50. Also, anyone using the stuff and what are your thoughts about it. I am planning on shooting it in my CZ457 and a custom Ruger 10/22.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I have heard really good things about this ammo so I decided to try and find some to buy and test. The stuff is crazy expensive. Opticsplanet.com has some in stock so I tried to buy a box and in the process was told they do not ship to Maryland. Anyone know why? Anyone know who else has any for sale is locally in A.A. county or online that is not still gouging. Opticsplanet.com it was $21.99 a box of 50. Also, anyone using the stuff and what are your thoughts about it. I am planning on shooting it in my CZ457 and a custom Ruger 10/22.

Midway USA will definitely ship to MD if they have Eley Tenex in-stock. I bought 300 for $18.99 per box last year and would've bought more if I had the $ at the time. You still can find it on Ammoseek every now and then but prices range on the high side of retail + shipping.

Eley Tenex should shoot OK in your 457. If your 10/22 does good with other standard velocity ammo, Eley Tenex should work fine too. There's no guarantee it'll be more accurate than other brands of 22 ammo in either one of your rifles, though. Eley Tenex just shoots decent in my Sako Quad and only slightly better than average in my other rifles. I get much better results with SK Rifle Match and SK Standard Plus, both of which sell for less than half the price of Eley Tenex.

YMMV

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Worth a try. I would buy it if I could try a few boxes and go back and get 1000 of the same lot. The memories. I tried tenex, club, wolf, green tab one year. I got .32 at 50yds with club and .4 with ten. I was the limiting factor here. I bought club but wouldn’t pass up tenex. These days it’s cci SV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Midway USA will definitely ship to MD if they have Eley Tenex in-stock. I bought 300 for $18.99 per box last year and would've bought more if I had the $ at the time. You still can find it on Ammoseek every now and then but prices range on the high side of retail + shipping.

Eley Tenex should shoot OK in your 457. If your 10/22 does good with other standard velocity ammo, Eley Tenex should work fine too. There's no guarantee it'll be more accurate than other brands of 22 ammo in either one of your rifles, though. Eley Tenex just shoots decent in my Sako Quad and only slightly better than average in my other rifles. I get much better results with SK Rifle Match and SK Standard Plus, both of which sell for less than half the price of Eley Tenex.

YMMV

I have heard some good things about the SK match also. Maybe I will try some of that also and compare. Right now my CZ has a 17HMR barrel on it but I also ordered the 22LR barrel and was going to install it and see how accurate it is compared to my Ruger. The CZ457 is a Varmint model with the bull barrel so I have to think it will be a tack driver. Although my Ruger is pretty good. The Ruger has a red dot on it and the CZ has a Vortex Viper 4x16.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    One time I did a side by side comparison of a whole bunch of different .22LR. Eley Tenex was good but compared to CCI standard velocity it really was not that much better in my 10/22. Lapua Match grade was as good as Eley Tenex and a little less expensive. There are so many factors that come into play with .22LR.

Personally I wouldn’t buy much at first until you could prove to yourself that it performed exceptionally well in your particular firearm(s).

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    My Ruger really likes shooting the Federal Auto Match so I have been using a lot of that for fun shooting. Earlier this week I went to Delmarva and brought some very old ammo that was my dads from about 40 years ago. I shot a box of the Federal Hi Power and a box of the Spitfire. I was not impressed with the Spitfire but that Hi Power was really nice. Better than the Auto match. I was impressed. And no issues with firing the old ammo even though the Spitfire had a little corrosion on some of the tips. Ever since I have replaced a bunch of parts with Kidd Performance parts the gun runs flawless. Probably over 1000 rounds without a jam.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    One time I did a side by side comparison of a whole bunch of different .22LR. Eley Tenex was good but compared to CCI standard velocity it really was not that much better in my 10/22. Lapua Match grade was as good as Eley Tenex and a little less expensive. There are so many factors that come into play with .22LR.

Personally I wouldn’t buy much at first until you could prove to yourself that it performed exceptionally well in your particular firearm(s).

I totally agree with you when it comes to buying ammo. Buy in small amounts until you know how it shoots in your gun. I can't tell you how many times I have been impressed or disappointed.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I totally agree with you when it comes to buying ammo. Buy in small amounts until you know how it shoots in your gun. I can't tell you how many times I have been impressed or disappointed.

This is the real deal, more expensive does not mean more accurate in any particular gun. My target rifle likes a particular Aquilla .22 round, the groups are half or smaller compared to Tenex - of which there are 5 or 6 varieties to choose from.

SK is definitely another brand to consider.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Bottom line is, you have to try various ammo in any rimfire firearm to see what works best.

Many years ago I was doing a weekly bullseye league. I have a Mitchell High Standard. Basically a copy of the High Standard in stainless.

I tested all sorts of ammo. That pistol did best with Federal American Eagle High Velocity. I did not try Eley, as I did not want to know if it was that much better. :D

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    OP - I’m in south AA county. I will give you a 50yr old box or two of that ammo. My father won MD Bullseye championship with ammo from the same case a LONG time ago ;)
    I’m betting it will still shoot well.

PM if interested.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Not Eley Tenex but Natchez Shooter Supply is advertising in their latest paper flyer for some decent 22LR SK loads:

• Long range match 40 gr - $11.49 / 50
    • Biathlon Sport 40 gr - $10.99 / 50
    • Pistol Match 40 gr - $9.49 / 50
    • Several other 40 gr loads from $7.49 to $11.49 for boxes of 50j

I know it’s not exactly what you want, but SK is pretty good typically and I think these are decent prices.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

I agree. I have found that the cost vs. performance of Gucci .22 (Eley Tenex, Lapua Midas, etc) just isn't worth it compared to other standard velocity .22

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I have heard some good things about the SK match also. Maybe I will try some of that also and compare. Right now my CZ has a 17HMR barrel on it but I also ordered the 22LR barrel and was going to install it and see how accurate it is compared to my Ruger. The CZ457 is a Varmint model with the bull barrel so I have to think it will be a tack driver. Although my Ruger is pretty good. The Ruger has a red dot on it and the CZ has a Vortex Viper 4x16.

Half the fun of owning a 22 rifle, for me, is comparing 50 yard groups between different brands of ammo and finding one that shoots well. My Sako Quad is the least picky 22 rifle I've ever owned. It'll shoot under .25" at 50 yards with ammo it really likes and slightly > .5" with stuff it really doesn't care for all that much. It also shoots MOA at 50 yards using Eley Force and CCI Mini Mag, both high velocity hunting loads. If you can't find SK, try some Wolf Match Extra if you see it available. It's made by SK and performs similarly to SK Standard Plus.

The Quad has a 5-25x56 Minox ZE5 on it for now but I'm planning to switch it over to a Sako 85 Varmint in .223 in a few months. I'll probably get either a 5-25x Vortex or Athlon to replace it and mount it on a Murphy Precision 20 MOA rail. This guy makes some nice stuff.

https://www.murphyprecision.com/Products/Item/1302

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017

Tbh, I would ask what your intended purpose is and be honest with yourself. If you are plinking at 50 yards, save the money and get sk standard plus or eley club or semi auto match. If you are shooting matches or long or ELR ranges, its worth the money to find the type and lot of ammo your rifle likes, sometimes the cheaper stuff runs better in your rifle. Welcome to the wacky world of 22 :D I would not recommend using the tenex in a 10/22 as the moving parts and chamber will eliminate some of the benefits you will see.

Personally, I shoot lapua centerx as that is what the chamber on my rifle was designed for. I have shot it for fun out to 515 yards and in competition to 435 yards.

If you want to try sk rifle match or sk standard plus, pm me and I have 1 or 2 bricks I could sell.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I've shot now SOO many kinds of 22.
    CCI Standard
    CCI Minimag 40g
    CCI Minmag 36g
    CCI Standard Green Tag
    Remington thunderduds
    Remington Target
    Remington Golden bullets
    Federal Target
    Federal Auto Match
    Eley Target
    Eley Match
    Browning
    Geco
    American Eagle
    (yes, there was a time you could roll into a Walmart then Bass pro and find ALL of that stuff on the shelf)

And a few I can't remember.
    Marlin XT-22, Marlin, Several Stock 10/22, 10/22 with target match bull barrel, Savage B22

In each price range, you can often find one that a gun shoots better due to the harmonics of the barrel. I ALWAYS found CCI SV would shoot better than say Rem golden bullets or thunder duds or Automatch
    Green Tag/ Ely Target pretty much always was at the top. Eley Match was rarely that much better than Greentag

I have not shot Eley Tenex but I can say, that with other ammo, you need to have all the other stuff nailed down before a better ammo shoots better. Trigger, sights/scope, bench rest and YOU.
    And always test at near zero wind to know if its the gun or the wind.

I've never had a gun that say shot cheap ammo better than say Greentag or Eley Target. But I"m talking a gun that would at LEAST shoot 10 rounds that a dime could cover at 50 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom