• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodymd

Apr 10, 2015
    Hi all. I'm looking for recommendations on an ar10. While I love the lwrci its a bit out of my price range. This will mostly be used for hog hunting.
    Thanks in advance

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    If the LWRCI is out of your price range, then I won’t recommend a Knights SR-25.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I have a S&W m&p10. Its pretty nice. If I was going to buy another one I would go with the Windham Weaponry because they will sell you spare parts and different uppers if you need them. Probably a better quality gun also. I've never had any problems from the Smith .

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Buy an Aero lower and make it yourself. You can buy a pre-assembled upper if you want. It's very easy and will run 100% if you use Aero parts throughout.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Buy an Aero lower and make it yourself. You can buy a pre-assembled upper if you want. It's very easy and will run 100% if you use Aero parts throughout.

Although I think you end up with a better rifle in the end, for someone on a tight budget I’d suggest something like the Windham. Parts for an AR10 are not cheap and compatibility can be problematic.. With scope, I have almost $7k in mine and I’m still tweaking.. Things like my first barrel was a carbon fiber, but after 30 rounds (suppressed) in 5 minutes, my groups opened unacceptably(to me)... At this point, just the barrel/bolt that I’ll be replacing with is almost the cost of the windham..

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Although I have no personal experience with one, the Savage MSR-10 (if I have the designation correct) got nice reviews early on. Don't know if this perspective has changed. Slightly more expensive than the DPMS Recon when I last checked.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have an Armalite AR-10 and a Colt LE901-SE. The Colt is a better rifle...more accurate...less felt recoil...but it's not worth the price difference between it an the Armalite. You can find an Armalite for less than $1k if you check around. The Colt model is discontinued but you find its replacement (CM762) at Buds Gun Shop for less than $1400. I will say the Armalite is a worthy rifle.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    How difficult is one to build?

If your mechanically inclined and have the proper tools and gauges, its not difficult.

You can use any number of Youtube videos, web articles or books for guidance.
    When I built my first AR15 years ago (mid/late 2014) I used this video for references and had no real issues. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8sY5CQmlHI

AR10's are a mostly the same, but there are some key differences as in there are slightly different dimensional standards (DPMS High, DPMS Low, Armalite, etc) The AR10's I have built have been all on Aero M5 lower/uppers using DPMS High profile handguards.

For lowers you will need an AR15 Armorers style wrench other than that there are really no "special" tools needed, outside of potentially some roll pin punches for some (well most) makes. (Aero M5 uses a screw instead of a roll pin for the bolt release and has a "molded" in trigger guard)

For Uppers you will need some roll pin punches, armorers wrench, torque wrench and.

For both you will want some kind of vise and a bench block/reaction rod type tool.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county

Its not difficult, but before you took that route I’d strongly recommend you plan it all out, and know what $$ you’re getting into.. AR10’s are more expensive to build than their younger brothers..

I found the following a good reference back some years ago..

https://www.reddit.com/r/AR10/wiki/index

I build all my AR15’s, but I question for an AR10 (although I’ve also built them). Its pretty difficult to build something at the price point that some of these cheaper AR10’s go for... Just the tooling, reaction rod, ejector, lower mag block, headspace gauges - all add up.. Even many quality barrel manufacturers will recommend a JP bolt and that alone is nearly $200.

shooterhyde

Sep 9, 2013
    Daniel Defense DD5, I've taken a few precision rifle course with it and it's a great gun. Accurate, handles well and you can get it in a 16" or 18" barrel length.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

A lower can be assembled in a couple hours for a first timer...15 minutes once you've done a few. I recommend sticking with Aero parts because you can get into trouble with compatibility otherwise....that's a problem with all 308 AR's.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    They are fun to build but I went way over my budget putting mine together. Large frame AR parts add up quick. I used a aero m5 builders set which includes the upper and lower receiver with their proprietary Handguard that fits on a extension on the receiver. It’s a dpms pattern and accepts AR 15 lower parts kit.

Lots of good guys here who would walk you through the assembly if you are mechanically inclined.

Or you could get any of the factory rifles that where mentioned. As in everything it’s all about how much you want to spend. The nicer the nice the higher the price.

My brother has a m and p 10 and he loves it.

Attachments

• 94CACFDE-6241-4671-AA3D-59D164B8790B.jpg
      94CACFDE-6241-4671-AA3D-59D164B8790B.jpg
      29 KB · Views: 407

euchre98

Feb 13, 2009
    Leonardtown
    Go to Aero Precision's website and sign up for deals email. They sell off cosmetic blems at a decent discount. Then just watch for a complete lower sale and the same for an upper.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Love my Aero M5, you can go with stripped receivers, assembled uppers / lowers or complete rifles, so you can build it or not build it as you choose. They aren't quite as plug&play as AR15s, but if you stick with the same brand/type of upper/lower/handguard/barrel, then you should be fine, lots of good AR10s from good manufacturers. Outside of the Armalite/DPMS high/DPMS low platform considerations, the bolt is 3/4" longer, so you either need a longer A5/UBR style buffer tube and standard M4 buffer or standard M4 tube and short buffer for a carbine. AR15 Trigger groups and stocks are generally compatible, but pins, mag release and bolt catches are often proprietary, there can be clearance issues with some trigger/hammer setups and selectors, and some light strikes on hard primers with various models. Weight also adds up quick, easy to get over 10# before optics due to the larger action and beefy parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom