• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Care to tell me what parts don't interchange that a gun owner would worry about?

Bolt for one.

But you can mod the Polytech receiver to take GI bolt.

I think also some of the gas system parts on the Polytech are metric thread, so not interchangeable.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    I sold my M1-A several years ago...now I can't replace it in the People's Republic. I did buy an Armalite AR-10 which is less expensive than a M1-A and a fine rifle.

I just kept my NM M1A and then just bought a AR-10 and now have both.
    Seemed like a more reasonable compromise....No sense getting all crazy and selling stuff :)

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I just kept my NM M1A and then just bought a AR-10 and now have both.
    Seemed like a more reasonable compromise....No sense getting all crazy and selling stuff :)

My M1-A was a National Match I purchased in the late 1970's. I sold it to a buddy who harangued me for years to sell it to him. He did shoot it better than me...it was like an extension of his body. I did break down and sold it to him...less than two years later he died of injuries from an auto accident. His son now has it...that's ok by me...he's my godson.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The threads for the flash suppressor nut and the gas cylinder lock are metric.

Bolt for one.

But you can mod the Polytech receiver to take GI bolt.

I think also some of the gas system parts on the Polytech are metric thread, so not interchangeable.

The bolt just has to be fitted, like any other M1A. Just the nuts are metric. The gas cylinder can be kept, there is nothing wrong with the Polytech gas cylinder or system. The Polytech castle nut should be used but some have said that the thread pitch on the USGI is so close they can be used. I don't see the need. The Polytech castle nut works fine on a USGI flash suppressor. But as far as the important parts, all USGI parts will fit.

Mine has all the USGI goodies on it and she sings like a canary at the range.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Any reason a Vepr in .308 hasn’t been mentioned? Won’t find one new at this point, but you could find one used.

Also check out CA AR-15 compliance stocks. You may find that the same
    Manufacturer(s) make one for an AR-10.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The bolt just has to be fitted, like any other M1A. Just the nuts are metric. The gas cylinder can be kept, there is nothing wrong with the Polytech gas cylinder or system. The Polytech castle nut should be used but some have said that the thread pitch on the USGI is so close they can be used. I don't see the need. The Polytech castle nut works fine on a USGI flash suppressor. But as far as the important parts, all USGI parts will fit.

Mine has all the USGI goodies on it and she sings like a canary at the range.

I never said that you needed to change the parts. I just said that they are not totally interchangeable, therefore not a copy under the MD AG opinion letter.

That is why you can buy a PolyTech.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I sold my Standard grade M1A Springfield years ago to fund some other project... I've kicked myself ever since!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom