• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpopovich93

Feb 8, 2015
    I have an old SKS that I am currently working on. I am looking to remove the front sight and bayonet lug, cut the barrel, thread the barrel for ak 14x1 RH.

I am a hands on guy and would really like to do the build myself but the cost of all the parts is pretty expensive for a one time thing. I would really hate to take it to a gunsmith and have the work done for me so I thought i might ask around to see if anyone on the forums would be willing to help out.

I am open to borrowing, selling, trading, renting, whatever your terms just looking to get this done right and as cheep as possible.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Be careful on the barrel cut. Doing so can make the gas system finicky. More than one person has cut one and wished they hadn't because it wont cycle right.

mpopovich93

Feb 8, 2015
    I am not really crazy about cutting it down, i just would like to eliminate the last step down to make it look cleaner. i dont like the tapered look. The plan was to cut it down 3 inches or so and leave enough to thread.

you think that will do it?

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    How are you planning to thread the barrel? Not trying to rain on your parade, but doing it with a die by hand it's difficult to ensure the threads are concentric to the bore. If it's off enough the bullet may contact the muzzle device.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I'm sorry but all you're doing is destroying a perfectly good SKS. The thought of cutting it down simply because you don't like the way it looks astounds me!

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I'm sorry but all you're doing is destroying a perfectly good SKS.

Ditto.

If your end goal is to add a muzzle device for cosmetic reasons, find yourself a Yugo 59/66 and swap one for the grenade launcher. There are various devices that will screw right on with no permanent mods. Since you will be changing the configuration, you may have to swap an additional number of parts to be 922r compliant.

http://www.cncwarrior.com/M14x1-RH-Twisted-Menace-Muzzle-Brake-p/25384.htm

http://www.ifatactical.com/page/1007428

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom