• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tenhoff

Sep 14, 2012
    So I'm moving back into MD from PA, and while I was in PA, I bought a stripped AR lower with intentions to build a new rifle. However, I never finished the build and only completed the lower. From what I've learned, I can't build a normal AR with this lower as a resident of MD. The two options I have would be to either build an HBAR or an AR pistol. Personally I would rather have a regular rifle, so HBAR is the closest match. I've heard that an HBAR has to have a fixed stock, can anyone confirm if this is true? also, this is the upper I was looking at going with. has anyone had experience with this brand upper?

http://www.surplusammo.com/saa-5-56-16-hbar-1-9-carbine-length-moe-upper-receiver-no-bcg-ch/

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    So I'm moving back into MD from PA, and while I was in PA, I bought a stripped AR lower with intentions to build a new rifle. However, I never finished the build and only completed the lower. From what I've learned, I can't build a normal AR with this lower as a resident of MD. The two options I have would be to either build an HBAR or an AR pistol. Personally I would rather have a regular rifle, so HBAR is the closest match. I've heard that an HBAR has to have a fixed stock, can anyone confirm if this is true? also, this is the upper I was looking at going with. has anyone had experience with this brand upper?

http://www.surplusammo.com/saa-5-56-16-hbar-1-9-carbine-length-moe-upper-receiver-no-bcg-ch/

If you bought the lower before 10/1/2013, you can use any barrel profile you want.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you bought the lower before 10/1/2013, you can use any barrel profile you want.

MAYBE.

If you ask MSP you will get differing answers.

And doing what you say, could end up with you being the test case.

If you put a now banned upper on the lower BEFORE 10/1/13, creating an ALG, then you are perfectly OK to return it to that condition.

But if it was never assembled with an upper, you are untested ground.

The two sides are:

1) It is a pre-ban lower, so you can build anything you want.

2) It may be a pre-ban lower, but it was not made into an ALG before the ban, and therefore not legal to make it into one now. A stripped lower is NOT a rifle, pistol, ALG, or SBR, until you assemble it. So pre- or post-ban does not matter, what matters is WHEN you make it into a banned configuration. Remember, the law grandfathers previously owned ALGs. And a lower is NOT an ALG.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    MAYBE.

If you ask MSP you will get differing answers.

And doing what you say, could end up with you being the test case.

If you put a now banned upper on the lower BEFORE 10/1/13, creating an ALG, then you are perfectly OK to return it to that condition.

But if it was never assembled with an upper, you are untested ground.

The two sides are:

1) It is a pre-ban lower, so you can build anything you want.

2) It may be a pre-ban lower, but it was not made into an ALG before the ban, and therefore not legal to make it into one now. A stripped lower is NOT a rifle, pistol, ALG, or SBR, until you assemble it. So pre- or post-ban does not matter, what matters is WHEN you make it into a banned configuration. Remember, the law grandfathers previously owned ALGs. And a lower is NOT an ALG.

How much tinfoil do you have wrapped around your head, it's got to be a truckload with an answer like that. Possibly an LSD flashback.
    How in the **** would anybody know if you did or didn't have an upper on it, maybe if questioned you'd just say, "I sold the upper I had on it".

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Less the Banter with regard to pre-ban, post ban? The upper looks like it's GTG, if it was me with regard to the current law stay with an HBAR Profile, better safe than sorry...JMO

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How much tinfoil do you have wrapped around your head, it's got to be a truckload with an answer like that. Possibly an LSD flashback.
    How in the **** would anybody know if you did or didn't have an upper on it, maybe if questioned you'd just say, "I sold the upper I had on it".

Hmm, maybe because you talked about it online?

Or you did not buy a pencil barreled upper until 2015?

Or maybe some people just don't want to do illegal things. Especially ones that can get your firearms collection confiscated and run up HUGE legal bills.

Otherwise, go for it.

As always, YOUR choice. But I guess you just want to tell people what YOU think is right, no matter if it is right, wrong, or not clear.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo

Or maybe some people just don't want to do illegal things. Especially ones that can get your firearms collection confiscated and run up HUGE legal bills.

Otherwise, go for it.

As always, YOUR choice. But I guess you just want to tell people what YOU think is right, no matter if it is right, wrong, or not clear.
    Cash transactions between private parties don't often come with receipts. ;)

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Well, FWIW, the OP along with his face in the avatar here, has now documented his situation. IANAL but I'd not build anything currently banned in MD if I was moving here.

Anyway, isn't an HBAR better for heat dissipation than some pencil or other thin barrel upper? I am also not a gunsmith so I'm asking.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    nothing wrong with a good HBAR

There are some really nice HBAR profiles out there, some that resemble the SOCOM profle... sort of.

Point is, they are light and accurate.

Engage has their own HBAR profile that I've seen in action, and it's pretty awesome

Feb 28, 2013
    Exactly, I need to invest in an aluminum foil company, as much as that guy uses I'd be able to retire early. Holy cow!!!
    Our friend must also be the founder of Reynolds Aluminum.:lol2:

If you owned the lower before 10-1-13, build it into whatever the hell you want, as it's preban.

Remember, just the lower is considered the actual firearm.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills

Otherwise, go for it.

This being the Greater Nations Capital region there are a lot of gun owners out there who have a GREAT deal to lose by mis-interpreting the law, even if they are right. Everyone has a different comfort level with risk. I don't know the OP nor Pinecone but anyone with any sort of a security clearance out here won't risk even a misinformed officer writing a citation or doing a lock up over a firearms violation even if the officer is in the wrong.

You will also be hard pressed to find an FFL willing to stick his/her neck out in our current political climate, and I can't blame them, their livelihood can depend on it.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    OP, since the upper you're asking about is an H-BAR, it's good to go no matter when you got the lower. Collapsible stocks are not part of MD law and are good to go.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I agree with Pinecone. It could be illegal to build ANY virgin stripped lower into a non-HBAR long gun configuration. No one really knows. There hasn't been any real confirmation or opinion. I'm sure we will find out one day, but I'd hate to be the guy waiting in jail to find out.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    Just curious then how did all of those class 3 receivers get made right up to the cutoff in may 1986 such as the stemple,or sten tubes then fully assembled and sold later?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Just curious then how did all of those class 3 receivers get made right up to the cutoff in may 1986 such as the stemple,or sten tubes then fully assembled and sold later?

They paid $200 a stamp for each and every one.

I get ypur point though. I personally built all my pre ban lowers into pistols first then into pencil barrels.I very sure everyone did. Some people probably even borrowed uppers from friends to do this.

Now they are buying thier own.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This being the Greater Nations Capital region there are a lot of gun owners out there who have a GREAT deal to lose by mis-interpreting the law, even if they are right. Everyone has a different comfort level with risk. I don't know the OP nor Pinecone but anyone with any sort of a security clearance out here won't risk even a misinformed officer writing a citation or doing a lock up over a firearms violation even if the officer is in the wrong.

You will also be hard pressed to find an FFL willing to stick his/her neck out in our current political climate, and I can't blame them, their livelihood can depend on it.

EXACTLY.

And telling people, go ahead, it is legal, is NOT doing them any favors.

I tell both sides, and let EACH PERSON make up their mind. As there is NO solid legal guidance on this. Even MSP will give you different answers if you ask more than once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom