• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Is it possible that anyone is surprised by this? I expect it to be as onerous as possible.

Nope not suprised at all. DC already had this law pre-Heller, and chose not to issue ANY permits for many years. It won't take a rocket scientist to figure out they're just going to do the same thing, maybe they'll issue to a few cronies just for show.
    The question is how this plays out. From Scullin's opinion, this won't fly with him. But perhaps DC is hoping to carry its new may issue to the DC Circuit, get a sympathetic court (with our nemesis Judge Henderson) who will then follow Kachalsky, Woollard, and Drake and uphold it.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    We decide who carries

I like how they say in the article:

“ The District is seeking to let the police chief decide whether people have a reason to carry a concealed firearm, and officials said living in a high-crime neighborhood would not be a sufficient reason to obtain a permit. People who've received death threats or have been the victims of domestic violence are among those who could be granted permits. “

---So the message is IF you survive your attack we MAY issue you a permit to defend yourself.:mad54:

"I happen to be one that really does not support having people walking around with guns, concealed or otherwise," Mayor Vincent Gray said.” -- He should have said SUBJECTS not people.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/dc-leaders-propose-concealed-handgun-permits-25575672

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I like how they say in the article:

“ The District is seeking to let the police chief decide whether people have a reason to carry a concealed firearm, and officials said living in a high-crime neighborhood would not be a sufficient reason to obtain a permit. People who've received death threats or have been the victims of domestic violence are among those who could be granted permits. “

---So the message is IF you survive your attack we MAY issue you a permit to defend yourself.:mad54:

"I happen to be one that really does not support having people walking around with guns, concealed or otherwise," Mayor Vincent Gray said.” -- He should have said SUBJECTS not people.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/dc-leaders-propose-concealed-handgun-permits-25575672

It's been said in testimony here plenty of times...

As for Gray, what a damn hypocrite. He's surrounded by firearms held by "people"

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    But, as observed by others, there are precedents. Driver's licenses, marriage certificates, etc. are not enumerated rights, while "keep and bear" is.

Is there a federal law to recognize driver licenses to drive? I thought that we had individual state laws, and some states do not recognize all driver licenses, such as learner permits.

Marriage licenses are valid only in the state they are issued in, and in most cases the city/town/county, this is because the marriage license is just a license to get married. In some cases it may serve as a record of the marriage itself. The marriage itself is recognized in all 50 states I believe due to state laws (probably dating back to common law) and internationally due to the Hague convention on marriages. I do not believe there is a federal marriage reciprocity law... in fact there are many states that do not recognize some marriages (same sex marriages). Despite DOMA being struck down, it only affected federal benefits.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Judge Scullin issued an order today regarding the expanded (180 day) Stay Request - NO, but maybe a little more than 90 could be considered. But you gotta show me you're making progress you're making towards the District decision :thumbsup:

Regarding the Motion for Reconsideration...let's talk about this on October 17th. Hoping he already knows his feelings on this, but is just being "polite". :)

09/17/2014 66 ORDER: The Court hereby ORDERS that Defendants' # 52 MOTION to Stay is DENIED; however, the Court will entertain a motion to extend the stay beyond October 22, 2014. If Defendants wish to make such a motion, they must file papers in support of that motion on or before 10/3/0214, setting forth in detail what, if any, progress they have made to comply with the Court's decision. Plaintiffs may file any opposition that they have to Defendants' motion on or before 10/10/2014. If Defendants file such a motion, the Court will hear oral argument in support of, and in opposition to, said motion on 10/17/2014 at 10:30 AM. The Court further ORDERS that the Court will hear oral argument in support of, and in opposition to, Defendants' # 63 MOTION for Reconsideration on 10/17/2014 at 10:30 AM. Signed by Judge Frederick J. Scullin, Jr. on 9/17/2014. (Scullin, Frederick) (Entered: 09/17/2014)

Attachments

• Palmer_66.pdf
      92.9 KB · Views: 22,515

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    DC is now essentially under court supervision in this matter until and unless this judge is satisfied that whatever new regulations are adopted are constitutional. I love this. Based on DC's announcement today of new shall-issue legislation I expect that the next two words out of this judge's mouth are likely to be "try again".

ih23

Dec 13, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I haven't been up to date much on this. So if you can correct me, please do. As I understand, if the Judge ends up denying the motion to extend the current stay, does that mean DC must allow residents with registered guns to carry without a license, that is, until they make a law agreeable to the judge? And how long will the judge tolerate DC going back and forth trying to make a law agreeable to his order? And how does the appeal process come into play now? Just curious here.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I haven't been up to date much on this. So if you can correct me, please do. As I understand, if the Judge ends up denying the motion to extend the current stay, does that mean DC must allow residents with registered guns to carry without a license, that is, until they make a law agreeable to the judge? And how long will the judge tolerate DC going back and forth trying to make a law agreeable to his order? And how does the appeal process come into play now? Just curious here.

My thoughts exactly. So what happens when/if DC's window on appeal closes, they then adopt this may-issue scheme. Are they then locked in to satisfying Judge Scullin, or can they appeal to the DC Circuit with this new law?

krucam

Ultimate Member

The current 90 day stay expires ~ Oct 22nd. By then, they must have developed legislation that falls in line with the ruling, or have an appeal in place AND then request a Stay from the Court of Appeals.

The deadline to appeal is 30 days from the day the Motion for Reconsideration is resolved. There is a Oct 17 Oral Arg to resolve this. Expect a ruling in fairly short order. 30 days following would be mid/late November, which is well past the District allowed 90 day Stay expiration of Oct 22.

Wednesday's Order implied he might allow some expansion of his Stay, just not 180 days total. Perhaps to align with the later Appeal deadline in November??

Next week, DC City Council is to unveil their new legislation. IF it doesn't fall into a Shall-Issue style, and indications are it won't, expect a quick response from SAF. More drama, leading into the October Oral Argument.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Scullin is not having any of this nonesense as I see it. I'm praying all the stars align making this final decision into "shall issue" for all.....but then when is it really final?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Do they? Or just a "mechansism" to get a permit - ie get a MD or VA permit and recognize it? It sucks, but MD law is not really the issue in this case.

Yep

A plaintiff is from MD. Its in the initial order DC has to let him defend himself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom